I just got it today, and I have to say it does not disappoint at all.
Solid, some weight to it, feels like a quality product, this is one effect at a time (I have a ton of pedals) but in the unit are serious quality stereo sounds.
I got this for that once in a while odd sound I might need, but it's likely to replace my dedicated chorus pedal and it cost less.

19 Delays, 23 Mods such as Vibe, Phasor, Flanger, Chorus, Rotary, Panner and more.
17 Distortions
12 Compressors and EQ's
26 Filters, and it has an Expression pedal in (pedal not included) so you got your wah, but the Ex pedal works with most of the other effects as well.
12 Reverbs
Comes with the power supply, it's stereo, as 5 knobs to control parameters, a tuner and the LED changes color depending on the class of effects you're using (see pic).
It's as easy to use as a dedicated pedal.

If you just need that extra effect, a sweet reverb for the loop on your amp, or a (really good actually) synth sound this is the pedal.
At $130 for a large variety of good sounding effects this is it, I know I sound like an ad but I'm impressed.
http://line6.com/m5/index.html
Manual: http://line6.com/support/manuals/m5/
I thought about getting a pod HD before, just for effects. Forgot these things exist. Might get the larger one someday.

Can it do a 4 cable method? I need something for of and modulation.

Hope you enjoy it!
Quote by Liaztraht
I thought about getting a pod HD before, just for effects. Forgot these things exist. Might get the larger one someday.

Can it do a 4 cable method? I need something for of and modulation.

Hope you enjoy it!

I don't know what "4 cable method" means.
If the M5 sounds this good, their Helix must be awesome.
Quote by 33db
I don't know what "4 cable method" means.
If the M5 sounds this good, their Helix must be awesome.
it's a way to have the mfx both in front of the amp and in the effects loop at the same time. I will look it up though.
So if I understand this correct a multieffect that can do the 4 cable method allows some effects to be run through the amps loop and others to be run front facing at the same time?
Quote by fly135
No.

After I thought about it a while it was an easy as it only does one effect at a time, does it well though.
Yep, 4CM allows you to put some FX in front of the preamp and some after the preamp.  It might be useful to have 4CM on a single FX unit if you want to switch between a distortion and a delay.  But I can't think of a single effect at a time multifx that has 4CM.
Quote by fly135
Yep, 4CM allows you to put some FX in front of the preamp and some after the preamp.  It might be useful to have 4CM on a single FX unit if you want to switch between a distortion and a delay.  But I can't think of a single effect at a time multifx that has 4CM.

Why would you want to? You would getting the same thing both ways.

I learned something though never knew about the 4 cable method.
Putting delay in front of distortion vs after sounds different.  Generally you want delay after distortion.  Even more so with reverb.  But there are no hard rules.  People can find all sorts of cool tones by breaking the common conventions.  You'll probably never see a pedalboard that puts delay pedals in front of distortion pedals.  But when you have an amp with no loop and a lot of distortion on tap in the preamp, you will see people putting delay pedals in front.  In the end you start with common convention and then venture out and find what works for you and your gear.
I use the 4CM for my M13 and love it. Seriously love the M13 and I was never a multi-fx person. I did not need the HD500X because I am happy with my amps and never used the sims.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Charvel So Cal Pro Mod, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Quote by bobafettacheese
I use the 4CM for my M13 and love it. Seriously love the M13 and I was never a multi-fx person. I did not need the HD500X because I am happy with my amps and never used the sims.

I really like this M5, truly surprised at how it sounds for such a low cost.
Don't need 4 cable method with this since you can only run one effect at a time.  Just buy one for in front and another for the FX loop.

The Zoom Multistomps can do similar stuff to this, but can run up to 5 FX at one time (but you can only control one at a time, with 4 others always on or off for each patch until you change which effect is in focus).  
Quote by SpeedSterHR
Don't need 4 cable method with this since you can only run one effect at a time.  Just buy one for in front and another for the FX loop.

The Zoom Multistomps can do similar stuff to this, but can run up to 5 FX at one time (but you can only control one at a time, with 4 others always on or off for each patch until you change which effect is in focus).  

I have the Zoom MS-70CDR multistomp, and while it's definitely usable, it does not sound as good as the M5, but yeah you can also run up to 6 effects at a time.
The Zoom MS-70 is a pain in the ass to change settings.

If I had a do over I would buy another M5, only downside to the M5 is it's large.
Anybody with deep pockets try the TC Electronics H9s?  Seems like it better sound better than the M5 due to the price.

Maybe at that price just as well get a Helix LT...
Quote by SpeedSterHR
 Anybody with deep pockets try the TC Electronics H9s?  Seems like it better sound better than the M5 due to the price.

Maybe at that price just as well get a Helix LT...

You mean eventide?
There stuff is definitely a step up in my opinion. Plus eventide is great at updating their firmware - products often get new sounds and features. Not sure if the Eventide contains drive sounds, or how they compare to Line6's though.
TC Electronic G system vs a line6 m13 would be an interesting comparison though... I think TC does the standard stuff better, but line6 has more unique out there settings [which are damn cool].
Quote by SpeedSterHR

Disagree, I rarely run delays, reverbs, choruses or tremolos in front of an amp. But I nearly always run flangers and phasers before the amp. A drive in the effects loop is also not good in my experience. The four channel method allows you to change individual effects placement in your chain, without needing two multieffects units. 
I run my strymon mobius in the 4 channel method for this purpose [and it can only run one effect at a time].

Quote by fly135

Strymon mobius

Quote by fly135
Putting delay in front of distortion vs after sounds different.  Generally you want delay after distortion.  Even more so with reverb.  But there are no hard rules.  People can find all sorts of cool tones by breaking the common conventions.  You'll probably never see a pedalboard that puts delay pedals in front of distortion pedals.  But when you have an amp with no loop and a lot of distortion on tap in the preamp, you will see people putting delay pedals in front.  In the end you start with common convention and then venture out and find what works for you and your gear.

Steven WIlson is one of the few modern guys I know who uses delay up front. His lead guitarists don't though.

At TS: Some things sound way different before vs after distortion - if you can, try moving the line 6 around to be before and after distortion and see what works for you. 
RIP Gooze

cats
Last edited by mulefish at May 25, 2017,
The other important feature of the H9 is bluetooth and usb control (as well as better midi control).

(I was going to edit the above post to include this, but it was really fucking the formatting)
RIP Gooze

cats
Last edited by mulefish at May 25, 2017,
mulefish Yeah, I meant Eventide.  Anyway,  regarding the 4CM, we may be talking past each other a little, but I think we really mean the same thing overall--I'm just saying that if you want to run FX both in front of the amp's instrument input and thru the FX loop at the same time, you don't have to have an MFX (or even a Strymon Mobius) with 2 sets of ins/outs...you can do it with a pair of M5s, or Multi-stomps, or H9s...or anything, really.  I'm not saying that one MFX optimized for 4CM won't work or isn't good--I'm just saying using 2 simpler pedals is another viable option which can give you some of the same abilities to route delays, reverbs, choruses or tremolos after the amp while running drive, phasers, and flangers in front...or whatever else you might want to do.
Definitely talking past each other. I absolutely agree, whilst effects placement is an important artistic decision - how you route the signal to achieve that effects placement [whether it be through multiple effects units, a single unit with the 4 cable method, or whatever else] is much less so.

Much more important is choosing the right effects units for your needs, and that get you the sounds you want.
RIP Gooze

cats
Quote by mulefish
The other important feature of the H9 is bluetooth and usb control (as well as better midi control).

(I was going to edit the above post to include this, but it was really fucking the formatting)

The bluetooth is the reason I didn't buy it, it's also the reason I won't buy TC Electronics and their "Tone Print".

I don't want yet another shitty app installed on my gear, and having to adjust parameters with a touch screen, touch screens are useless for music.
That's my opinion so don't anyone get all butthurt over it.

Full Disclosure: I do own a Ditto pedal, but that has none of the wireless hookum in it.

Eventide gets high praise for their effects, but LIne 6's M series stuff is easy to set up, and has foot switches for live control, and is less expensive.
With pedals like the H9 and some other set ups, a guitarist has to take tap dancing lessons just to control their rig, it's getting slightly absurd.
Last edited by 33db at May 26, 2017,