So I want something smaller . Got a 120 watt head . I want something smaller to carry around and crank up at home .

There aren't many mini heads around and I don't really want to spend too much although I can spend more I prefer to keep my budget not too high ..

Here are the choices . I was thinking the bugera makes the more sense since it's only about 20 bucks more than a micro dark but it's an actual tube amp with lots of features. It sounds pretty damn good from the demos I heard . But everyone says to stay away from bugera ! . I just want an overall good classic rock and classic metal tone

Micro terror
Dark terror
Blackstar ht-1 head
Bugera g20
Joyo zombie
A lot of people still scoff at the reliability of Bugeras so if you're put off by their reps on various forums, you should stay away. However, I've had/have a bunch of Bugeras (they were going for ridiculous close-out prices like $200 or so, the price of nice pedals) and they're still going strong sans issues.

The Oranges are very reliable and deserve the reps they have. Those models will be safe buys, for sure.

For all-around amazing, the EVH III LBX 15 set the bar high. The current used pricing reflects this; but, I suspect it'll go lower soon.
Are you looking to get most of your metal tone from the amp? If so, Orange would be my first choice.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
assuming the bugera is a clone of the blackstar ht20, while it'll be a lot more tube than the micro terror/dark, it'll stil be a hybrid amp and not genuinely all-tube.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
assuming the bugera is a clone of the blackstar ht20, while it'll be a lot more tube than the micro terror/dark, it'll stil be a hybrid amp and not genuinely all-tube.

I was actually gonna recommend the HT-5. I've had one for years and it's a pretty decent amp at home. It's a lot more versatile than the HT-1 and a little easier to control volume-wise (can get almost loud enough for a quiet drummer) than the other ones listed. Can't go wrong with the Orange ones IF you like their sound. For some people they're too fizzy.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Are you looking to get most of your metal tone from the amp?  If so, Orange would be my first choice.

This 1000x.

I have Orange Micro Terror 20W amp head with Kustom cabinet since September 2015 and the amp head work perfectly great. Micro Terror amo head is a great start for any beginner who seek to buy a new valuable amp head after having a combo amp for few years.
Dean Dave Mustaine VMNTX electric (Black)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro electric (Ebony w/ gold)
Orange Micro Terror 20W Hybrid amp head
Orange Crush Pro 120W amp head
Kustom 4x12 cabinet
Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 Plus Power Supply
Korg Pitchblack Chromatic Pedal Tuner
Electro-Harmonix XO Metal Muff
MXR M-103 Blue Box
TC Electronic Dark Matter
TC Electronic Fangs Metal
Quote by Dave_Mc

That's true . But it is a lot closer to being a real tube amp. It's tempting , ill likely buy it through Amazon and return it if I don't like it.
Quote by Hal-Sephira
This 1000x.

I have Orange Micro Terror 20W amp head with Kustom cabinet since September 2015 and the amp head work perfectly great. Micro Terror amo head is a great start for any beginner who seek to buy a new valuable amp head after having a combo amp for few years.

Except I'm not a beginner lol .
If you want heavier tones, the EVH LBX is king. Not even a debate.

More expensive than the other options, but for high gain, they make all the other amps look like toys.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by fly135
That's a pedal, not a head.  LOL  May do the same job as a head, but it's still a pedal.

It's a head shaped like a pedal.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by dannyalcatraz
It's a head shaped like a pedal.

It's missing one of the two "if it looks like a duck and acts like a duck, it must be a duck" criteria.  It doesn't look like a head.
fly135

If that's your sole criterion for evaluating things, the world will have many surprises in store for you...

Quote by dannyalcatraz
fly135

If that's your sole criterion for evaluating things, the world will have many surprises in store for you...

Not at my age.
Quote by evening_crow
I was actually gonna recommend the HT-5. I've had one for years and it's a pretty decent amp at home. It's a lot more versatile than the HT-1 and a little easier to control volume-wise (can get almost loud enough for a quiet drummer) than the other ones listed. Can't go wrong with the Orange ones IF you like their sound. For some people they're too fizzy.

yeah... and that's the thing with the small amp market- i'm not surprised at all that the ht5 is actually more controllable at really low volumes than the ht1. these really low wattage amps are sold as solutions to bedroom volume playing, and often higher wattage amps sound better at those volumes. but they can't sell you two things if they admit that.
Quote by jedigovnaUG
That's true . But it is a lot closer to being a real tube amp. It's tempting , ill likely buy it through Amazon and return it if I don't like it.

yep it is.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Another amp to consider is the Peavey 6505mh. I just picked one up this morning and I love it. It's switchable between 20,5, or 1 watt, has an FX loop and an xlr direct out or headphone out with a speaker load so you can disable the cab if you want. I've been playing it all day.
For small amp needs I bought a Laney IRT-Studio. It would do great for classic rock and metal.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .