Hey all, I was curious if anyone has had any experience with this:

Guitar -> pedals (if any) -> Solid State Preamp -> Principle Amplifier 

(note: I am not talking about slaving the amp for it's power section).

I've been interested in this a while because, well, I'm just interested and I like to try different things.  The local used shop has butt loads of older SS rack preamps for pretty cheap, so very little stands in the way.  The guy at the shop seemed pretty negative about it, and rambled on about not seeing the point in stacking two preamp sections.  Some rudimentary online research shows mixed reviews, including hoards of individuals who are convinced the output would damage the preamp section of the principle amp.  

As far as I'm concerned it's safe.  I'm open to any input on the matter.  What I'm really interested in though is if any of you have experimented with this and what your findings were: yay or nay?  I think hypothetically some cool tone shaping could happen by stacking the preamps.  Also, I'm intrigued by throwing a bass preamp in front of the thing to maybe drive that lower edge in.  Thoughts?
"I definitely don’t write all my music in a blackout, like I used to, although I did come up with some good stuff in a blackout."
-Matt Fucking Pike
it does depend n the output of the first preamp. not sure why you are dismissing this. if the signal doesn't matche the signal from a guitar or pedals meant to go in the front end of an amp then you'll get distortion and not the good kind and of course could potentially damage the preamp section of the amp you are running it into. 

what exactly do you hope to accomplish with this? 
No real hopes in terms of accomplishments, just for the sake of experimentation.  I don't think I'm dismissing anything, but where I stand on the subject I feel more evidence suggests it's a non issue.  HOWEVER, that is why I am posting, because I really don't know what I'm talking about.  

What I see is this, an entire market for "preamp/drive" pedals that guitarists are throwing on the board to color the tone of the amplifier, not to mention the slew of other pedals used to accomplish this.  When you consider OD's, distortions, and boost pedals harboring insane Db increases, how is a rack preamp any different?  I guess that's an important question I'm looking for the answer to.  One step further, I'm only mentioning SS units.  If I were to mention a tube preamp I'm sure the response would be a firm NO.  But again, what's the difference between this and the many tube driven overdrives and distrotions people are using in their signal chain?

Is it the case that the circuitry is different and the line level is far higher than anything coming off the floor?  
"I definitely don’t write all my music in a blackout, like I used to, although I did come up with some good stuff in a blackout."
-Matt Fucking Pike
Quote by Badluckpalms
No real hopes in terms of accomplishments, just for the sake of experimentation.  I don't think I'm dismissing anything, but where I stand on the subject I feel more evidence suggests it's a non issue.  HOWEVER, that is why I am posting, because I really don't know what I'm talking about.  

What I see is this, an entire market for "preamp/drive" pedals that guitarists are throwing on the board to color the tone of the amplifier, not to mention the slew of other pedals used to accomplish this.  When you consider OD's, distortions, and boost pedals harboring insane Db increases, how is a rack preamp any different?  I guess that's an important question I'm looking for the answer to.  One step further, I'm only mentioning SS units.  If I were to mention a tube preamp I'm sure the response would be a firm NO.  But again, what's the difference between this and the many tube driven overdrives and distrotions people are using in their signal chain?

Is it the case that the circuitry is different and the line level is far higher than anything coming off the floor?  

guitar pedals are designed with the idea of putting them in front of an amp. their signal level is compatible for that purpose. a preamp like a rack mounted one is designed to be used with a power amp and the signal level is compatible for that. not the same in many cases. 

as for the tube thing well same thing applies. pedals with tubes in them still have a compatible signal at the end. a tube preamp goes through a phase inverter to make it compatible with the power section. 
Gotcha.  I also found another article on it explaining the specifics of line-level vs instrument level, which pretty much hashed it out for me.  Got the info I was after, thanks!
-Matt Fucking Pike