hey, i am planning to guy an electric guitar for under Rs.24,000($370 USD)

I would be playing alternative rock, linkin park etc.
I heard that in that price bracket tremelos are cheap quality and not good.
I'm okay with 22 frets and looks dont matter to me as much as the quality and sound.

I was thinking of going for companies like Cort, B C Rich, Ibanez, Fender etc, but i am highly confused.
tried doing a bit of research but failed as i got mixed views from everywhere.
Ibanez floyd tremelos arn't good, cort quality is bad, BC rich looks good etc etc
Ibanez 170dx, grg270, Cort X6,X11, LTD m10 etc..

can you guys please recommend some models and prices..it would be helpful
thank you!!
Last edited by tutushubham at May 19, 2017,
Look up Chappers and the Captain on YouTube, they go over stuff like this all the time, very entertaining and knowledgeable.
I have an Edge Pro II and I think it's pretty good - I thought it was the Edge III that gave them a bad rep....
Well, I'm currently looking at Agile guitars from Rondo Music, they have a few models that are right in your wheelhouse, check'em out.
Flying in a blue dream
Personally, I'd have to recommend the Epiphone G400 models. They're perfectly serviceable instruments at that price point. Agiles are supposed to be fantastic, but their availability can be rather limited depending on region.
^ if by region you mean "new jersey" I think they only have one dealer. outside the USA the shipping etc. makes them not really worth it.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by tutushubham
cfiiman .. didnt get anything specifc.. could u help? or recommend someone else?

Honestly, here is what I can tell you, go to the store and try a bunch, a bunch of them.  Especially starting out I would say how it feels/plays is much more important than anything else, b/c if you don't like playing it you won't play it.  See what feels good to you, but if you want a specific recommendation, it is hard to go wrong with a Fender Strat IMO.
Quote by cfiiman
Honestly, here is what I can tell you, go to the store and try a bunch, a bunch of them.  Especially starting out I would say how it feels/plays is much more important than anything else, b/c if you don't like playing it you won't play it.  See what feels good to you, but if you want a specific recommendation, it is hard to go wrong with a Fender Strat IMO.

+1 Here.

This is great advice. I tend to gravitate towards strat and and super strat designs, whereas others don't always jive for me. Other people swear by LPs. Neither of us are wrong, but if YOU don't like the feel, what I, or anyone else, likes is irrelevant. 

Also realize that your musical heroes often play more luxurious variants of models in your price range, which are usually not representative of the high-end option. I love Periphery, but I cannot see any reason to drop $5000 on Misha Mansoor's sig Jackson, when a SLATXMG and Bareknuckles are a fraction of the price. Also, I have nowhere near the talent, so a $5k guitar has zero chance of making me a guitar god.
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.

justinguitar.com is the answer
At that price point things can be hit or miss. You really have to sit and play them to find what's got the slight edge over the other. Even across the same brand and line of guitar. I wouldn't tie yourself down to Lee anderton, and Rob Chapman's reviews. Their focus is to sell a product. Plus what they play is setup beforehand to give the absolute best possible outcome. You may not have that luxury.

If used is an option and you want a trem some of the Ibanez with the zr and zr2 terms are nice. They hold tune really well but have a different feel some don't like. Grab a guitar and feel it, look at it. Feel for pokey bits around the neck and frets, play each fret on all the strings and listen for buzz. Press the first and last fret and make sure the string doesn't touch between.

If you want to get way down grab a credit card and check the frets by laying it across 3 at a time and check for any rocking. There is sure to be some, but you'll want the most level frets you can get. Twist the knobs and feel for any scratchiness or places where they are not smooth. Plug into an amp and pluck a string and slowly twist the volume and tone knobs and make sure they don't cut out anywhere.

Last thing I look at are the tuners, do they twist freely? Are they tight to the headstock with no obvious gaps? Are the holes in them deburred and smooth on the edges?

At that price point nothing will be perfect, and that's the case way above the price you are looking at. But get as many good points on a guitar that you like the feel of and run with it.
Quote by cfiiman

it depends on how much of a beginner he/she is... if he/she can't play a note, there's only so much trying you can do. You can basically hold them to see how they feel and balance.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
A friend of mine once told me that "An expensive Cort is about as good as a cheap ESP/LTD", whether that's true or not, I have yet to find out.

On a side note, my first guitar was an amazon kit guitar. If you're not really looking for quality and want "more bang for the buck", those should get you started. However if you're serious (and seeing as you're spending near $400, I'd assume you are), I recommend an LTD guitar (cheaper than an ESP, but still fairly good quality for the price). They're a bit on the heavy (weight-wise) side, but they're fun to play

Anyways, I noticed you said "ibanez floyd rose are bad", so I'm guessing no Edge trems or floyds, maybe a non-float bridge? 

Here's just a few suggestions I've found at under $400
ESP LTD LMH199QMNT
ESP LTD EC-256

Whether these can be found outside of the US, I'm not entirely sure, but I'll list them anyways. (Note: They're all ESP/LTDs because its the company I went for a while back (but mine being an LTD MH50 (which I didn't list in the suggestions because it had a FR-special)), they're fairly good guitars for the prices, just a tad bit heavy (least mine is)
Gear:
- ESP LTD MH-50
- Strandberg OS 7
- A cheap fender strat knock-off not worth naming
- Garageband
- Boss GT-1
- Potato
Last edited by Parac at May 23, 2017,
Quote by cfiiman
b/c if you don't like playing it you won't play it.

I get this alot but can't quite agree, if you are a beginner and can only afford a cheap guitar that is not the best player and it makes you give up, then you really don't want to play that bad. Sure having a good player is great from the start if you can affordone but first my guitar like many of the older members here was a cheap one pickup guitar with horrible tuners and tiny frets it was a solid body with a wooden acoustic style bridge it was not a good player but it did not stop me from playing the crap out of it for a few years until I was able to afford something better.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

When you buy an electric guitar, your purchasing doesn't end there. Unlike the standard acoustic guitar, you will need to purchase other things for your electric-guitar. Now, when you buy an electric guitar it would almost always come with a guitar cable, a tremolo bar, and sometimes, a guitar pick. Electric guitars are guitars for a reason, and you will need a few other peripherals to really put yours to good use.

Depending on some promos, you may even get a little battery operated amplifier with your guitar. This is good to some extent, but you will need to get your own amplifier. There are some stores that offer packages, and they give you a little amplifier on purchase of guitar. The amp would be good for practice, as you will not be needing it during stage performances or whatnot. However, it's important that you have at least a bigger amp than the little battery operated one.

This is because you will need an effects box for your guitar. With effects boxes, you will need an amp that can handle really loud volumes. Just imagine how it would sound on a batter operated amp. You won't probably be hearing the "full detail" of the sound. At any rate, you will need an effects box for your guitar, but then again, it will depend on the genre that you are going to play.

If you're mainly playing jazz and blues and other softer music, then effects wouldn't be necessary. In rock, guitarists usually go for the distortion effect, but if you rarely use it, you don't have to get a distortion pedal. Besides, there are amplifiers with a distortion mode on. You just have to activate it, adjust the bass and the treble settings on the amp, and your guitar will sound like it is running on a distortion pedal.

If you're going to buy an electric guitar with playing noisy rock in mind, then you will need the effects boxes in addition to your amplifiers. There are individual effects boxes, where you can just step on the pedal to activate and deactivate the effect. You can chain these together in one circuit, or you can go for that single digital effects boxes that come with different effects. Once you have an effects box and an amplifier, you will be ready to rock out.
Last edited by michaeluad at May 24, 2017,
Came across this video tonight, it was in my feed ironically.  I didn't watch it but I like Chappers videos and the title seems right up your alley, might be worth a look:

Quote by Evilnine
I get this alot but can't quite agree, if you are a beginner and can only afford a cheap guitar that is not the best player and it makes you give up, then you really don't want to play that bad.

disagree
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
disagree

Agree to disagree 
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

i can't agree to that!
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?