Alright so I went to the Guitar Center in Times Square yesterday. It's a tiny guitar center. But it's actually better because it's tiny. There are only 2 rows of guitars on the wall, so everything is reachable. A lot of guitar centers hang guitars 10 high and it's super annoying to have to ask a sales person to take a guitar down because they definitely don't give a flying fuck about helping you.

So I got to try out a few things on my bucket list and a few things I've been looking forward to try for a while.

First up..the kind of hilarious fail fail....

This GC had 3 of the ht6 pro series Misha periphery sig guitars!

So the first one I picked up was rekt. The frets were lifting clear off the fretboard. It was so bad in one place that if you pulled the string off the board it would get caught and just stick under the frets ends.

This guitar was just a mess. Just terrible. I don't know whose fault it is...but this guitar had no business being out on the floor.

Then the white one in the picture was just straight up missing the high e string. 9 employees on the floor and no one had bothered to restring it. The remaining grey one was ok. Lot's of gunk on the fretboard.

That being said..the neck was really comfy and the pickups sounded ok.

Then this guy...the seven string ht7 pro.

It didn't wow me but it wasn't bad. Fairly lightweight. The Jackson neck on these is a bit thicker then the wizards but very comfortable. Completely decent 7 string guitar.. Veneer top looked good.

Plays well...but overall the quality on these things is a little lacking. fret ends are like starting to poke out of the fretboard finish visibly. and just gunky.

Ok...then bucket list number 1...teh holcomb se. So, I've been guilty of recommending this guitar without ever having tried one. I can fix that now.

Look at those fully recessed string ferrules...on a Korean 900 dollar guitar. wow.

http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt337/diagrammatiks/9035C367-CA17-4594-85B8-1908F02B55B2_zpsfuqkurc6.jpg

Positives - fretwork is great. The bound fretboard feels great. No sharp ends. Lightweight. Pickups are great. Just super good and those sexy ferrules.
Negatives - this one was really ugly. The burst and the top is just super duper ugly. Not pretty at all. On top of that there is some quality of these SE's that I really can't put my finger on...but they feel very plasticky and toylike. I also tired a bunch of the core models yesterday and they don't have that feeling. I don't know if the gloss is too shiny and a little too thick but the guitar feels too slick. That might just be personal bias and getting really used to matte natural finishes lately though. Still a great guitar.

Bucket list 2!

Lol, this guitar haas the same finish and specs as my strandberg. Thick neck. Very very thick. Much thicker then Ibanez. Maybe about as thick as my Kiesel. The setup was a little bit weird. The strings could definitely have been lower. The hardware was pretty standard hipshot....

Fine...but not impressive. Given how good korean sub 1100 dollar guitars are right now...I have a hard time being really excited to pay something like 2400 for this guitar. Compared to my skervesens... nothing really unique or innovative design wise. These seem to just be really solid guitars...but it's 2017 and making really solid guitars isn't that hard anymore.

The surprise holy shit that made me check my bank account...

The Ibanez RGAIX6

THIS GUITAR IS REALLY FRIGGIN AWESOME.

So, I had thought that the RGA body was just an RG body with a bit of a curve top. However, the body on this thing is not like my rg550 at all. It's much thinner, It's probably between the classic rg and the S. That with the curved top makes it so comfortable. The neck is very good, standard wizard type. The fretwork was fine.The pickups might need to be changed...but I didn't hear anything that made me think they needed to be changed right away. This would be in contrast to say my Strandberg which needs its pickups changed immediately.

The weight....omigod the weight of this guitar. It is easily one of the highest guitars I've ever picked up. I love it. I love it. It's so good. It looks good too. The veneer and finish are very understated. Not nearly as shiny as the holcomb.

The only negatives is like that its 900 new for an Indonesian guitar. However, if the quality of Indonesia is this high..then screw it. It's ok.

The only other negatives is that there are some finish flaws and constructions flaws that would be deal breakers on a more expensive guitars. There's some unevenness to the body binding where it's really thin sometimes. There's a gap on both sides of the neck pocket that would absolutely be a deal breaker at 1500 or prestige levels...but none of those things really matter in terms of playability. I'd have no problem picking this up used or even new over most RG prestiges just because the body is so good and light.

It's really good guys.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
The Asian factories are really stepping up their game these days, and a good guitar is a good guitar, regardless of origins.

I mean, Indonesian factories are making the G&L Tribute line and all the non-USA DZPLs as well. Korea has Electras, Reverends, all non-MiJ Fernandes and entry-level Eastman/Backlunds.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I like that white Charvel for $329.  Drop a JB/Jazz set in there and I would be happy.    

Not interested in any of the others, but nice rundown of them anyways.  
Quote by Way Cool JR.
I like that white Charvel for $329.  Drop a JB/Jazz set in there and I would be happy.  

Not interested in any of the others, but nice rundown of them anyways.  

Was thinking the same thing, at that price I wouldn't have thought twice
And what work in stone could compare with the majesty of trees?
But that headstock tho

Quote by AcousticMirror
But that headstock tho

There's nothing wrong at all with the Strat head Charvel's but I'm extremely partial to the Pointy's.  The Toothpaste logo ones are my favorite of them all. 
This was actually a pretty cool post! I could get behind making this a frequent thing.
Quote by OroborosYinYang
This was actually a pretty cool post! I could get behind making this a frequent thing.

don't encourage him!

but seriously though, i always like these guitar shop visit threads. he posted this in the chat thread too and i already replied in there
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well, I wish I could do this more often but..there's not that many guitar stores and new stuff coming out to be able to sustain it.
Also, some stores are just bad. After I went here I went to the GC in midtown manhattan and it was just useless. Everything I wanted to try was on the third row or up so I would have needed an employee to get every single guitar and there were a lot of amps but nothing was hooked up.

Also, every guitar had a terrible setup. That's not that exciting.

Cool post.

Sad to hear about the Jacksons though.

It made me need to hug my MIJ DK2M to find my happy place.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by Ippon
Need somebody to review the Gibson Midtown.

Yes! I need to know what the deal is.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by AcousticMirror
Well, I wish I could do this more often but..there's not that many guitar stores and new stuff coming out to be able to sustain it.
Also, some stores are just bad. After I went here I went to the GC in midtown manhattan and it was just useless. Everything I wanted to try was on the third row or up so I would have needed an employee to get every single guitar and there were a lot of amps but nothing was hooked up.

Also, every guitar had a terrible setup. That's not that exciting.

yeah agreed. the last time i went to guitar stores (and i was actually fairly serious about buying), i came home in disgust, pretty much. they're not all bad (a couple of the guys were really good and helpful), but enough are, and they've started locking all the guitars on hangers so the assistant has to get every one down for you, which is really, really annoying. And to make matters worse, some of the assistants act like you're asking them for a kidney when you ask to try one "up there". I mean, I didn't put them there and I certainly would prefer that they weren't locked up either. it's much more useful to be able to grab guitars when you feel like it, go back to a guitar you tried a few minutes ago to get a better comparison, etc. etc.

you know the way a lot of people say "don't buy online, you get way better service in shops and you can try first!"? I came home thinking internet shopping was much more helpful.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
A large number of the guitars hanging on the walls get dinged and damaged (and their setups completely out of wonk) by the people who walk in after school and start wanking away. It's become increasingly difficult to pull a guitar off the wall and know anything about it, because it's been turned into junk (or pilfered for knobs, etc.). 

Worthy of note is that you and I pay for all the pilferage and damage when we buy a guitar; it, along with all the advertising they have to do to get you to LOOK at the silly thing, is part of the price you pay if you actually buy something. 
^ yeah. it's kind of a balancing act.

that being said i'd have a lot more sympathy if they actually stopped the people doing the damage, instead of letting them do what they like and then going hard on the people who won't actually damage the instruments.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I have an Ibanez XPT700 Xiphos that is Indonesian and the quality IMO is on par with my MIJ Jacksons the fit finish, overall build quality, fretwork etc. is excellent the only negatives are the EdgeIII tremolo and the shitty Ibanez Cosmo Black hardware finish that has crappy durability. Eventually I will replace the Edge III and it will be completely stellar, I think it is crazy to write off any guitar just because of where it is made I have a Chinese made B.C. Rich that is overall as good quality as any of my Japanes or Korean imports. Not that Indonesia and China don't make their share of turds.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Quote by Dave_Mc
^ yeah. it's kind of a balancing act.

that being said i'd have a lot more sympathy if they actually stopped the people doing the damage, instead of letting them do what they like and then going hard on the people who won't actually damage the instruments.

I agree, that said I have personally purchased a few really nice used guitars from G.C. but who knows how long they were hanging there I know my RR3 was there for less than 2 weeks because the one of the sales persons was bummed that I was buying it he told me it just came last week and he was planning on buying it that Friday when he got paid I felt bad for him but yeah most of the guitars that you pull off the wall at GC (if they are not banged up) they at least have the set up out of whack, too many kids putting there hands on them plugging them into a Line 6 and cranking them looking around to see if anyone is watching them jerk off on the thing.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

Last edited by Evilnine at May 22, 2017,
^ haha
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Evilnine

Country of origin is less of a factor now, but the odds still favor it as a shorthand for quality. Those odds are tightening up considerably.

Now, if those countries also clean up their pollution and human rights issues along the way...
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Evilnine

My local GCs are actually pretty good. AND they have the sense to keep the better stuff out of harm's way.

I saw a used Jon Kammerer in a beautiful walnut hanging in the deepest darkest shadows of the uppermost used guitar rack. They knew what they had- apparently, there was a 3-way race between employees to see who could raise the $1000 to buy it.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Evilnine

Country of origin is less of a factor now, but the odds still favor it as a shorthand for quality. Those odds are tightening up considerably.

Now, if those countries also clean up their pollution and human rights issues along the way...

Yeah a agree about the shorthand it just bothers me when someone says that a guitar looked, felt sounded and played great but...

...it was made in Indonesia.

If it's good it's good no matter where it's made.

And to me the Mockingbird looks 10 times better than those two guitars I posted earlier FWIW I never liked the Gibson Firebird.
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

I think gc's are pretty inconsistent. It's abut ironic that the busier one is worse but it makes sense. its got more people going through and touching stuff.

I'll excuse the Jackson with the broken string but I don't think any amount of playing is going to screw up a guitar as much as the one really bad one I played. I mean more then one fret was lifting off the fretboard.

I don't have a problem with the East Asian stuff as much as I did. But it's still hard to swallow the price sometimes.

The Korean Holcomb I think is a great value given the specs you can't get on any other prs right now and the pickupsnwhich are 250 if you were to buy them.

The iron labels are said to be inconsistent but I've played a few of them and they were all pretty good. But their prices are definitely getting up there. Not much anyone can do if prices are increasing across the board.

I bought my rgdix in Hong Kong on sale for 625. And there's no sales tax in hk. That's s great price imo. 899 new is a bit harder to swallow. I think for 700 the rgaix is a great buy. Then you get something like the schecter km7 which is 1100 or the ibanez jbm27 which lists for 1400 and it's a bit harder to swallow.

Evilnine

You mean like was posted in the ugly guitar thread? I agree about the Mockinbird.

The Firebird is one of the more angular guitars I'd consider owning, but the oddly named "non-reverse" version is just...

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Evilnine

You mean like was posted in the ugly guitar thread? I agree about the Mockinbird.

The Firebird is one of the more angular guitars I'd consider owning, but the oddly named "non-reverse" version is just...
Lol wrong thread.
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

It happens to everybody.

Not me, though.

That third guitar from the left (the green one with a (i think) maple fretboard), looks very similar to the gutiars that Polyphia plays (least in my opinion).. I've seen that guitar hanging around other GC's. It looks so pretty compared to the normal solid colors of guitars hanging on walls
Gear:
- ESP LTD MH-50
- Strandberg OS 7
- A cheap fender strat knock-off not worth naming
- Garageband
- Boss GT-1
- Potato
guitar center is one of the worst places to buy a guitar at... they sell their guitars that have been hanging on the wall for ages, played and dinged by people, as NEW. it completely blows my mind how anyone falls for this.
Quote by ImNeverSalty
guitar center is one of the worst places to buy a guitar at... they sell their guitars that have been hanging on the wall for ages, played and dinged by people, as NEW. it completely blows my mind how anyone falls for this.

It can work in your favor sometimes, I got a Musicman BFR7 for under $1000 of the used price because it sat around for 2 years.
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab
At least your Guitar Center has Jacksons. The last time I went to my local GC, the only Jackson there was a USED JS-32. All the other electric guitars are either $3000 Gibsons or Chinese Fender Strats...I don't know why I even bother going there anymore. 
My crap:

Guitars
Jackson RR3T Limited Edition with Seymour Duncan Blackouts (MIJ)
Jackson JS1-X Rhoads
Jackson PDXT with Seymour Duncan Black Winters
Dean Vendetta XM

Amps
Peavey 6505 MH
Carvin 1X12 Cab

Pedals
Boss TU-3 Tuner
Boss NS-2 Noise Gate
Boss DD-7 Delay
This is really cool!

I would love to do something like this but I do not know enough about guitars to do so lol
I went into my local GC for the first time in months, just browsing. They had rearranged a bit. Looked good.

When I looked at the electric guitars, they had a St. Vincent sig and some of thenmid-high range PRS models, but the one that impressed me most was the Knaggs hanging at the edge of the used guitar section. Only $3900...

There's a part 2 to this. When photobucket stops being such a bitch

There's a fix for photobucket now.

It's called imgur.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
PB seems calm right now.

I originally tried Imgur a few years ago, but had some issues with it. PB just worked, no problems. PB does seem to have a lot of pop ups now, though.

One continuing issue I have with it Isnhow differently it works with my phone vs my tablet. Right now, I'm getting some pop ups that are not closeable on the phone. The tablet's fine.

The sorry states of some of those guitars remind me of my visits to BestBuy. Whenever I go there, without fail, I see:

• Only Fender/Squier strats or Epiphone LP/SGs,
  • The first string is missing in half of the guitars,
  • The product label and the guitar does not match,
  • Half of them have sharp fret ends, scratches
  • No useful info on the guitar, product label
  • No knowledgeable staff
  • Aside from the guitar, pretty much nothing else to go with it, or even try it.

I wonder why BestBuy even tries it. I guess nobody runs the numbers at the HQ and decide to reclaim the shelf space.