Page 1 of 2
I'm trying to find a good amp that is ideal for Doom metal. Don't really want to have to get an amp and use the clean channel with a fuzz pedal but if that's the only way then which amp that would have a good clean channel and a good fuzz pedal? I'm trying to go for like a High on Fire and Sleep type of tone. My budget is anything under $1000 but ideally anything under $700. But That may not be too possible, but if so I'd love a suggestion. I've looked at the Laney AOR but most of them have been in the $800 range. Would also perfer it to be a head instead of a combo amp. Also needs to be loud enough to play with a drummer and a bassist. Looking foward to seeing what you guys think! 
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
The Sovtek/ElectroHarmonix MIG is a Doom favorite.

Orange TH30, or really any high gain Orange.

A Mesa Dual Rectifier is a common one I see for doom guys.

Old Peaveys, the Triumph, VTM, Ultra, etc.

Marshalls, like the 800, or an old cranked Plexi.

Really there are so many amps that are capable, what makes the difference is what pedals you pair it with. Also, bass guitar can provide a lot of the oomph for Doom (Sleep is a good example).
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Just gonna throw out the Orange cr120h. Just because the gain channel gets fuzzy when dimed, the clean takes fuzzes well, and it's on the darker side tone wise. Plus within budget with extra to spare for a cab.

Also if Good with a soldering iron, a dam meathead clone is an easy build and great fuzz. I was gonna order the parts for one, but have to buy shoes instead
Last edited by Liaztraht at May 20, 2017,
I love Orange amps and they're great for that kind of sound. Check out the OR-15 which is a 15W all tube amp for around $700. It does doom very well. There's also the CR120h which is a solid state for around $450. But even though it's solid state, it sounds fantastic. Also check out the dark terror for around $700 as well.
EH Mig 50 watt head - reissued on Amazon now. $500 I think...

Also, look at Peavey Valveking (used or new) and maybe some of their other amps, like JSX, XXX, Windsor, Butcher might work and will be within budget. Marshall DSL JCM2000 might work. All these used, of course.
Quote by dementiacaptain

Orange TH30, or really any high gain Orange.  

A Mesa Dual Rectifier is a common one I see for doom guys.  

Marshalls, like the 800, or an old cranked Plexi.  

I do like those amps. But I haven't really seen any of those, even used, unde $1000 besides the Orange. Definetly not a Marshall Plexi
Quote by Liaztraht
Just gonna throw out the Orange cr120h. Just because the gain channel gets fuzzy when dimed, the clean takes fuzzes well, and it's on the darker side tone wise. Plus within budget with extra to spare for a cab.

Also if Good with a soldering iron, a dam meathead clone is an easy build and great fuzz. I was gonna order the parts for one, but have to buy shoes instead

Quote by meateatingvegan
I love Orange amps and they're great for that kind of sound. Check out the OR-15 which is a 15W all tube amp for around $700. It does doom very well. There's also the CR120h which is a solid state for around $450. But even though it's solid state, it sounds fantastic. Also check out the dark terror for around $700 as well.

Thanks alot! I am very interested in the Orange CR120h. Was concerned because of them being solid state but I'll see if I can try one out somewhere. Would an overdrive pedal at all help with the sound? I know those are typically used to tighten the tone so I'm not too sure for doom. I'm usually a thrash metal guy haha. Are there any doom bands or maybe youtube videos showing the CR120h doing doom?
Quote by maddnessgame
I do like those amps. But I haven't really seen any of those, even used, unde $1000 besides the Orange. Definetly not a Marshall Plexi

Are you in the US? The Plexi would be tough but something Plexi-like (Kranks Chadwick is a good one) good work, and the Recs can be found on Reverb for a grand often times.
dementiacaptain Yes I am in the US. Will check them out forsure. Love a good Rectifier too. I've checked out the Krank Chadwick. Thanks for letting me know. Are there other plexi like amps that you think would fit too? Or is that Krank your favorite in terms of Plexi like?
Quote by maddnessgame
Thanks alot! I am very interested in the Orange CR120h. Was concerned because of them being solid state but I'll see if I can try one out somewhere. Would an overdrive pedal at all help with the sound? I know those are typically used to tighten the tone so I'm not too sure for doom. I'm usually a thrash metal guy haha. Are there any doom bands or maybe youtube videos showing the CR120h doing doom?
I think I saw a few on YouTube. And I use an od to tighten mine up. When playing doom I like the neck pickup with the od on.
Liaztraht Nice. That's interesting. Why do you perfer the neck pickup? Which pickup do you suggest pairing with the amp? If you had to use a bridge pickup, which onw would you perfer the most?
Liaztraht Okay. Well I'l definetly check them out. Have you had any experience with Lace pickups? Obviously the Make Pike pickups would do the job, but do you know of any others they make? I'm looking at the Bill Keliher Divinators for my main guitars but was thinking if it would work or not for a doom rig
maddnessgame 

All or almost all of the sig pickups Lace makes are for metal guitarists.  Besides the two you unmentioned, Brent Hinds has a set, as does Wino- his would probably work as well as Pike's.  I think Lace recently discontinued Wino's Lifers, but they're still out there in the marketplace.  They were based on the Lace  Drop & Gains, which may be a more affordable option, and easier to find.

In addition, Lace makes the Alumitones Deathbucker and Deathbar, which are passive pickups with a EMG-like quality.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by maddnessgame
dementiacaptain Yes I am in the US. Will check them out forsure. Love a good Rectifier too. I've checked out the Krank Chadwick. Thanks for letting me know. Are there other plexi like amps that you think would fit too? Or is that Krank your favorite in terms of Plexi like?

Thats probably the best one in that price range, you could also look into Ceriatone, but youd need to investigate which model, I'm not super familiar. The Nineteen80, another Krank, could work, though its more like a modded 800.
dannyalcatraz Okay. Yeah I'll check those out. I've seen reviews of the Drop and Gains and those are really cool pickups. Sound alot better than the ones I have experience with. I'll have to see if I can play a guitar with some lace pickups in them at a music store. I've only ever played the Lace Dissonant Agressors from Bill's LTD Eclipse and I really enjoyed those. 
Liaztraht It's no biggy. I'll be on the lookout for pickups with that magnet in them. I enjoy the Alinco V in pickups too. Just seems to sound better and clearer
maddnessgame If you want you to get a bit more grit you can add an OD. But something like the Earthquaker Hoof is fucking amazing for doom but they are expensive ($175). A cheaper option is the Big Muff Pi ($80). But to be honest, Orange amps are pretty good for doom right out of the box. Especially the OR15. Just dial in the EQ settings for a doom sound. Less treble and middle with more bass. Roll back the tone knob and use the neck pickup. No need to spend outrageous amounts of money. Try the OR-15 and you won't be disappointed.

The cr120h is an excellent alternative if you want to spend less and don't want to worry about tube amp maintenance. 

EDIT: I just read the rest of the thread. First get the amp you like. Try to get the sound you want first with that before you spend money on pickups and pedals. This is my advice as someone who loves gear and has wasted money in the past. Sometimes less is more.
Last edited by meateatingvegan at May 21, 2017,
So, just what are you awaiting, quit losing your time and also appreciate endless pc gaming experience with your Xbox Live free codes currently available at http://gratuitxblcodes.com ! Xbox Live is an online multiplayer pc gaming and also electronic media distribution solution developed and also run by Microsoft.
Quote by maddnessgame
dementiacaptain Okay. Well I'll check those out forsure. Do you know if a Marshall DSL100h would also be a good option?

That would be a good one, though IMO not as beefy as the other options mentioned here.
Quote by meateatingvegan
maddnessgame If you want you to get a bit more grit you can add an OD. But something like the Earthquaker Hoof is fucking amazing for doom but they are expensive ($175). A cheaper option is the Big Muff Pi ($80). But to be honest, Orange amps are pretty good for doom right out of the box. Especially the OR15. Just dial in the EQ settings for a doom sound. Less treble and middle with more bass. Roll back the tone knob and use the neck pickup. No need to spend outrageous amounts of money. Try the OR-15 and you won't be disappointed.

The cr120h is an excellent alternative if you want to spend less and don't want to worry about tube amp maintenance. 

EDIT: I just read the rest of the thread. First get the amp you like. Try to get the sound you want first with that before you spend money on pickups and pedals. This is my advice as someone who loves gear and has wasted money in the past. Sometimes less is more.

OKay thanks alot. I'll definetly think about that. I just recently purchased a Seymour Duncan 805 overdrive for around that big muff price so I'm looking foward to that. I'll need to find a place with those Orange amps. Love the british high gain tone and cleans but no music store around me have any in stock. Thanks for the advice. I'll try and do that
Does krank still exist? I know back some years ago quality was questionable.

I know a guy who plays one and loves it, for me the sound of it gets very tiring on my ears. The krankenstein can lay down syrup for sounds though.
Quote by BeefDrapes
Does krank still exist? I know back some years ago quality was questionable.

I know a guy who plays one and loves it, for me the sound of it gets very tiring on my ears. The krankenstein can lay down syrup for sounds though.

Yeah I was also wondering that too about Krank
I was under the impression that they brought the Krank name back as well. I know Tony has been involved in Stiff, and Revolution amps, and at some point Krank was rebooted. In any case, the old ones are quality builds generally speaking.
All good mentions above.  

That said, I wouldn't ever discount solid state Randall.  Affordable, the old ones are loud as balls, and they darken up real easy.  EQ it right and throw a boost / OD in front of it and you're set with a rad rig for a tight budget.  

I played in a band once with a dude who ran two 100w SS Randalls, each driving two Randall 4x12's.  His pedal board was nothing but a tuner, a wah pedal, a clean boost, and a Boss OD, and he had one of the sickest tones in town. 
"I definitely don’t write all my music in a blackout, like I used to, although I did come up with some good stuff in a blackout."
-Matt Fucking Pike
Badluckpalms I'll check them out. I have been interested in a RG series Randall for quite a while for my main rig so I'll definetly check them out. 
trashedlostfdup knows a bit about Randalls, as I recall.

Quote by maddnessgame
Badluckpalms I'll check them out. I have been interested in a RG series Randall for quite a while for my main rig so I'll definetly check them out. 

Well I'll also say this.  Everyone is up on tube.  I am too for the most part.  But there is an entire demographic / subculture in metal that worships the SS Randalls.  I can't even count the number of doom, speed, thrash metal bands I've seen confidently employ them on stage and totally kill it.  

I played one of those 300W randalls at a GC, very loud and dark as shit.  Honestly probably one of the next amps I buy.  
"I definitely don’t write all my music in a blackout, like I used to, although I did come up with some good stuff in a blackout."
-Matt Fucking Pike
Randalls are great for the price, definitely heavy. I had an RH200 that was super chunky, would have gigged that one for sure.

There is also the Randall EOD (?) which, if I remember correctly, is aimed at doom stuff. Just another idea.
Quote by maddnessgame
dementiacaptain Yeah I've looked at the EOD and really want it. But it's a bit too expensive for me at the moment.

I see for a grand or less regularly
dementiacaptain Really? I'll have to look on reverb. But earlier I played a Orange TH-30 and was really impressed with it. Sounded really beefy and the distortion was great with low-medium gain pups. Could hear every note. Think I'll go with Orange. Do you know how similarly the Crush Pro 120 sounds? I still haven't played that but would really like to just to see if I might as well save up or to go for the more affordable one. But yet again, the only Randall I've ever played was a RD-5h and enjoyed that. If I see an EOD out and about I'll play it forsure.
Quote by maddnessgame
... earlier I played a Orange TH-30 and was really impressed with it. Sounded really beefy and the distortion was great with low-medium gain pups. Could hear every note. Think I'll go with Orange. 

I'll vouch for this as well.  Remember my story above about my bandmate with two Randalls?  

Well my rig was a TH30TC into an Orange 2x12 and Mesa 4x12.  ESP guitar into a couple pedals and had the sweetest tone ever.  BTW, only tapped on pedals here and there, didn't need em all the time.  I will say, I found a really rad sludgy tone cranking the amp, running a muff into it, and using a volume pedal to back off the volume a bit.  But what happens when you're cranked is until you really hit the heel on the pedal it doesn't so much affect the volume as it does the saturation of the gain.  You end up with this fat Boris esque matampy tone.  Fun to play with, that is all.  I use any excuse I can to plug the use of a volume pedal because I think they're so underrated, and I find their use with lower watt tube amps yields awesome results.  

One extra note, I'm glad you and others are pushing this.  When I played my 30W Orange in a doom band people were skeptical because it was the era of everyone playing 5150's, trust me, it'll keep up.  
-Matt Fucking Pike
Page 1 of 2