Page 1 of 2
I just switched to an amp and I'm just worried that some ants, cockroaches, or mice/rats might chew on it. 

So my question is, what are some nice home tips to get rid or keep away those pests from the Amp.
I received the amp in a box with a silica pack attached to it, do those somehow repel pests? or do they just remove moisture?
just play "lay it down" by Ratt as a warm up and you'll never have an issue.

it's worked for me for like, ever.
I did have mice trying to move into my Hotrod Deluxe at one point when we had a slight infestation. Just follow basic pest control: keep food, drinks, and crumbs away from your equipment; and keep your amp in a dry, relatively open area where pests won't be able to hide. If you're still worried after that, use traps or poison. Otherwise, you really shouldn't have too many problems.
Keep your home pest free. Roaches can get into electronics but if you don't have them not an issue. Ant live in dirt
Keep your house/room clean and you shouldn't have a problem with pests.  Especially in your room, don't leave any dirty dishes in there and don't leave any soda, beer or juice cans/bottles in there.  And if you do eat in your room don't drop crumbs everywhere.  The main thing (from my experience anyways) that attracts pests is food then they eat and nest on secondary things like boxes and electronics.  Cockroaches really love cardboard so try to minimize that if you do have a problem with them.
Last edited by Way Cool JR. at May 20, 2017,
If you have critter problems bomb the place, or get a cat.
Flying in a blue dream
Quote by SanDune65
If you have critter problems bomb the place, or get a cat.

Yeah, my cat's a pretty good mouser, then one day I found a severed head on the stove top. Should've mounted it.
Quote by Random3
Unless you live in a sewer I really don't think this is going to be a problem. I have literally never heard a story about someone having their amp damaged by insects or rodents.

Here's one. A friend of mine and I picked up a 4x12 he'd just purchased and took it home to his basement practice studio. While we were trying it out, I asked him if he had a cockroach problem. "What? Never!" I pointed out a couple of young 'uns walking around. We looked at each other in alarm and took a screwdriver to the cabinet. As we pulled off the back panel several million cockroaches exploded out of the thing headed everywhere in the house. His wife had just come down to see why we'd suddenly gotten quiet, and she shrieked. 

Rodents will live and nest in amps that are left stored. Cockroaches will eat things you've never expected, like old slivers of soap, certain glues. Termites have infested amps *and* guitars, as have some kinds of borer worms. Ants will set up housekeeping in your walls, which is why it's so difficult to get rid of them once you have an ant issue. So will bees and wasps.
I bet those bugs were rocking hard, how did they effect the sound?

Quote by OroborosYinYang
Should've mounted it.

As a reminder to others what will happen...
Flying in a blue dream
Clean your fucking house.
Quote by iampeterparkerjr
I just switched to an amp and I'm just worried that some ants, cockroaches, or mice/rats might chew on it. 

So my question is, what are some nice home tips to get rid or keep away those pests from the Amp.

Moth balls work for almost every critter, amp in a bag with the balls, of course your amp then smells of balls.

Quote by Random3
Unless you live in a sewer I really don't think this is going to be a problem. I have literally never heard a story about someone having their amp damaged by insects or rodents.

I jammed with a singer in downtown Seattle, he pulled out an old keyboard plugged it in turned it on and 5 minutes later roaches were running all over it.
His dirty fingers playing it, then he stored it dirty and the roaches decided it was a proper home (until it warmed up).

Urban areas often have pest like this even when the person is clean.
i thought you were talking about people who didn't play guitar
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thread was moved to forum: Guitar Gear & Accessories
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
crabapple in the case will keep spiders/bugs out.  People used to put them under their beds. Don't know if it's an old wive's tale, but strongly suspect it is. 
33db I was thinking of buying some. but when i looked into the internet, they say it can cause health problems. Those are harmful to humans too right?
Quote by iampeterparkerjr
33db I was thinking of buying some. but when i looked into the internet, they say it can cause health problems. Those are harmful to humans too right?

Yep they hurt everything, really only good for storage which is what I thought you wanted, if you have it in your house or your bedroom I wouldn't use the balls of moth.

They can be used to make a impressive explosive as well, the naphthalene type any ways.
I had a bad ant problem last year. Eliminated and poisoned any possible entrance, even around where every wall meets the floor and ceiling. Still they were getting in somewhere. Turned out they were living in a space heater I pulled from storage while it was running!

Went to move it after winter and they practically exploded out of it. Piss ants everywhere! So it is a good reason to worry, even if it is unlikely, it's still possible.

Just make sure it is clean, amd keep food and drink away from it.
Have you considered...

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
dannyalcatraz do your cats ever try to sharpen their claws on your amp's speaker cloth? because that's what i'm concerned with. like, ive seen some cats ruin the doormat because they try to sharpen their claws there. one time i also saw one outside our house trying to sharpen it's claws on the rat cage  trap i bought.
For open back cabs, keep the back open the the room. Dont bury it in a pile of junk or in the back of a closet. Thats best for mice. Sub woofers are mouse favorites. Put screen over the port hole or plug it up while in storage.
dannyalcatraz but how do i get the cats out of the amps, then?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

Power chords.
i was thinking lions maybe
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i was thinking lions maybe

No then you get a cat union forming.
dannyalcatrazThat's my favorite instagram page.
Quote by Dave_Mc
i thought you were talking about people who didn't play guitar

Lol , I was thinking the exact same thing and was going to post smack them hard with a Tele
Quote by Dave_Mc

It's ovvious, innit?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

imgooley

Cool! (I'm not on Instagram, though... )

33db

And you can get rid of those with mice...

Page 1 of 2