Hi all

I want to mod my strat with a strat-sized humbucker in the bridge. But I have a specific ouput level in mind:
  • In full humbucker mode I'd like it to be much louder than my (stock single coil) neck pup
  • When I split the humbucker I'd like it to have about the same output, split, as my stock single coil pups.

The idea being, I wire the humbucker to be split in most positions, and get close to a stock sound everywhere. Except the bridge position, where it's full humbucker, and it drives harder. "Spin a dirt" ? I guess you could call it....

Any recommendations?

Thanks   =)
Rio Grande springs to mind as a maker of good splittable SC-sized HBs.  I'd be willing to bet custom winders like Vintage Vibe and The Creamery could make them as well.

The one issue I foresee is that you'd have to be very specific about which singlecoils are in your axe.  As I recall, Fender uses a variety of them across all their different Strat models.  It might be easier to get a good match if you buy replacement singlecoils from whomever you buy the SC-sized HB.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
dannyalcatraz thanks! I'll check them out

Near me Seymour Duncans are available, jb jr and hot rails seem promising... anyone have exp with those? Wondering if either comes close to single coil volume when split
DiMarzio Fast Track II bridge pickup. 
Wiring: 4 Conductor
Magnet: Ceramic
Output mV: 321
DC Resistance: 18.07 Kohm

Thanks dspellman that looks promising. I like that they give output numbers in mV, not just resistance. I heard resistance is not always a reliable indicator.

Is mV a linear scale? I mean, if I read a pup has twice the mV, does that mean it has twice the output?
^ i think so, but don't quote me on that.

as danny said, if we figure out what single coils you have, that'd be the thing. usually a sort of medium hot humbucker will split to give something in the ballpark of vintage output strat pickups. a paf type isn't really hot enough.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Millivolts is a reading of actual signal sent from the pickup making it a good indicator of power.  Resistance gives a general idea of what the output will be but there are a lot of other factors that effect a pickup's output too so yes a resistance reading is far less telling than a voltage reading.  The issue with a voltage reading is that not everybody gets them using the same technique and different methods of getting the reading can give different results.  If you are only comparing numbers acquired from 1 company then everything should be linear but when you start comparing different companies they might not be.  Unfortunately there isn't a perfect way to know the actual output of a pickup.
Not taking any online orders.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at May 21, 2017,
Thanks Dave_Mc that makes sense... the original stock single coils are those of a G&L Tribute Legacy... I don't have specs on them

I appreciate your comment about the PAF style not being enough, that's good info, it sounds then like the Fast Track II mentioned earlier (or maybe SD Hot Rails?) would be the way to go
Quote by swafran
Thanks Dave_Mc that makes sense... the original stock single coils are those of a G&L Tribute Legacy... I don't have specs on them

I appreciate your comment about the PAF style not being enough, that's good info, it sounds then like the Fast Track II mentioned earlier (or maybe SD Hot Rails?) would be the way to go

they might even be too hot, but don't quote me on that. the hot rails actually does split pretty nicely.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?