Which would you guys prefer to buy? I ask this because, at least where I live, a Gibson Les Paul  Traditional/Standard cost around twice as much as a Fender American Special/Standard Strat/Tele. More than twice in some models actually. Objectively speaking, which is more worth it?
Well that depends, do you need two Fenders to accomplish what you are trying to do musically? Do you need a Les Paul for the same reason? Do you find Fender Strats (Teles are a separate issue) are comfortable for you to play? Same question for the Les Paul?

One option or the other is not a better deal or "more worth it" as you phrased it unless it also is the guitar you want. If you want humbuckers and a 24.75" scale, then a Tele is not going to be worth it at any price.

What do you actually want from the guitar?
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
And if you can't answer dementiacaptain's questions, you might not really need a "Fender" or "Gibson"- there are a lot of other builders out there making killer axes. Many of them offer guitars of equal or better quality for comparable or even superior prices.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
You'd be better off buying new amps and cabs.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
I think danny hit the nail on the head, it is time to think outside the box a bit and look at something not made by Fender or Gibson. There are some guitars made by other companies that are far more versatile.
Quote by myfingershurtplaying
Which would you guys prefer to buy? I ask this because, at least where I live, a Gibson Les Paul  Traditional/Standard cost around twice as much as a Fender American Special/Standard Strat/Tele. More than twice in some models actually. Objectively speaking, which is more worth it?

There's a problem here, and that's with the words, "Objectively speaking."

Let's take just the LP side of things. My viewpoint is from an owner of a stack of Gibson guitars and specifically more than five Gibson LP Customs including a recent Axcess Custom. A Trad or Trad Pro is going to be a couple of grand (here in LA), give or take. It's a decent guitar, but objectively speaking it's an H-H LP with a standard neck heel, standard headstock, etc., etc.

Over the last couple of years, I've picked up a B-stock Agile AL-2000 Floyd LP-alike, with pretty much the same general specs as the Trad Pro, but with 24 frets and a "tilted" neck heel to give me better upper fret access, and a Floyd Rose. It cost me just under $200. I picked up another of the same spec just recently, that had a DiMarzio Super Distortion bridge pickup in the bridge, a Floyd Rose, and a Fernandes Sustainer custom installed. I also found an AL-3100 Floyd (higher spec, with ebony fretboard, fancier binding, real MOP inlays, etc.) for $200, used. All three of these pristine. I've been using all three of these as my "bar" guitars; small gigs and flyaways. They've been perfect and I've never broken so much as a string and they sound and play great. A few months ago I found an AL-727, a Les Paul-alike with a 27" scale, 25 frets, seven strings and a Seymour Duncan Nazgul in the bridge. The Guitar Center in Clackamus shipped it badly, so it has a ding in the headstock (purely cosmetic), and I think the final price was around $250. Average price on these four guitars, let's say, was around $250 (the sustainer guitar was a bit more), so I've spent $1000.

Objectively speaking, I've done the Les Paul thing and more, in half the money spent, and I have more total capabilities than any single Trad Pro ever had, and I have backups. Subjectively, you'll hear things like, "Yeah, but are those pickups as good as whatever Gibson has on the Trad Pro," and "But it doesn't say Gibson on the headstock," and "It's not USA made, so it's S__T!" and "But the woods can't be as good," and so on.

I've done some of the same things with strat-alikes, thanks to used Carvins. There I've spent a bit more money on used guitars (per each), but remember that these are custom-built guitars, and I've spent under $1000 on a pair of these (there are seven of those, too).

In short, for the same money that you'd spend on a single Gibson Trad Pro, I have a half dozen really good really playable guitars capable of any level of professional use, covering all the strat AND LP bases. So the question is now yours to answer: Objectively speaking, which is more worth it?