Hey guys, I decided to build another cheap Strat from parts and gave it an unusual, if not unique wiring setup.

- Switched the positions of the neck and middle pickups, to switch polarity
- Wired the bridge and neck in series, as a spread-out humbucker
- Switched the ground and lead on the middle position pickup to make it out of phase
- Added switch to toggle middle pickup on/off in parallel (a wall light switch - this is an ugly but durable machine)

[Really lame diagram since it's more fun than reading words]

Now the wiring actually works exactly as I hoped - in one position, it's a warm Strat neck tone with punch and clarity from the bridge, and in the other it's a much thinner and brighter, but not fully cancelled out-of-phase sound. The *problem* is a fierce humming whenever I touch the strings or hardware, the parts that usually quiet it down.  Could it be as simple as switching the ground and hot to the output, or is there a problem inherent to the design?

I've done a couple wiring jobs before but I'm far from an expert so any advice is appreciated!  (If there's interest, I'll snap some pictures of this ugly thing :P)
If you have a mid pickup with the wire wound directly onto the magnets then cracks in the insulation could be shorting the wire to the magnets introducing more hum to the hot signal however it is more likely that you accidently broke the bridge ground when you were rewiring.  Also keep in mind that your new wiring will eliminate hum canceling in position 2 and 4 so you are giving yourself a cut in output and boosting hum.
Not taking any online orders.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at May 22, 2017,
Quote by JekylTheVagrant
To my knowledge everything checks out, so grab that soldering iron and get 'er done!

Thanks, that's what I thought, but it all looks to be soldered properly and it's still noisy as hell :/
Quote by CorduroyEW
If you have a mid pickup with the wire wound directly onto the magnets then cracks in the insulation could be shorting the wire to the magnets introducing more hum to the hot signal however it is more likely that you accidently broke the bridge ground when you were rewiring.  Also keep in mind that your new wiring will eliminate hum canceling in position 2 and 4 so you are giving yourself a cut in output and boosting hum.

I just double checked and the trem ground is on there just fine.  Also, there is no position 2 or 4, it's completely different from normal Strat wiring.  The middle and bridge pickups are wired in series as a humbucker and they're cancelling hum just fine, but there's a bad buzzing whenever touching the strings or hardware that I can't figure out.

*edit: here's a picture of this bad mojo machine, for the lulz
Last edited by Matt (GGR) at May 22, 2017,