Page 1 of 2
Okay so it's going to take maybe 2 years until I can pick up a guitar and I don't have the patience to wait that long and don't want to feel like wasting my time right now. Is there any way in which I can practice guitar.. without guitar?
N8dagreat3 Living with my parents, no way in hell they're letting me get a guitar, plus, even if they did let me, I want to buy it with my own money, not theirs.
There's only so much you can learn without a guitar, because unless you can get your hands on the instrument itself, your hands aren't going to have the opportunity to learn how to touch it in the right way. this is something that comes only with practice on the instrument.

I'm having this problem with the piano due to having not had a proper piano or even a full size/range keyboard until very recently - I know exactly where to put my fingers on the keyboard to play what I'm intending to play - but my hands just don't do it as quickly or accurately as they need to yet. I know what to play, but I don't yet know how to play. And the how part is probably more crucial - because when you really learn how, what tends to become relatively intuitive anyway.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
There's a couple things like the "Pocket Strings" and the "Shredneck".
Flying in a blue dream
Quote by stunmunch
Blompcube well there's a specific guitar I want, can't I try to recreate the fretboard on paper and practice like that?

You could do that, but I'm not sure how helpful it would be because you'd still be missing out on a lot of important aspects of playing the instrument that way. Although it might just show your parents that you're serious about learning, because it seems you really want to learn to play - and hopefully that'll encourage them to let you have a guitar

Also, for what it's worth, I daresay this may be a "beggars can't be choosers" situation - it might be best to ask around friends and family to see if they have a guitar you can borrow to learn on, or try and find something going cheap in a pawn shop or a yard sale or something like that - it might not be the exact one you want, and it might not even be a very good guitar at all, but at least it's something. I learned on a cheap 3/4 size nylon string classical guitar - it didn't do the 'rock' thing very well, it had no sustain, it didn't respond to string bending at all, and it needed to be re-tuned every 5 minutes or so, but it was a guitar, it made a sound - it was better than nothing!
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by stunmunch
N8dagreat3 Living with my parents, no way in hell they're letting me get a guitar, plus, even if they did let me, I want to buy it with my own money, not theirs.

Im not sure how old you are but you can pickup a guitar for less than a $100 new. If you got a used one you can get them lower than $50. They arent going to be great but they will teach you to play. We all start somewhere and for most of us it was on inexpensive guitars. I still play cheap guitars, i just picked up an 83 washburn V for $60 the other day. If you're worried about loud noises you can play an electric with out an amp and still make out the chords and notes. What momma dont know, wont hurt her!
Quote by stunmunch
Blompcube well there's a specific guitar I want, can't I try to recreate the fretboard on paper and practice like that?

No, that would be utterly pointless and won't help one bit...you'd just look daft.

There's really nothing you can do with regards to learning to play the guitar that doesn't require a guitar.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Hit up your local classifieds and pick up a cheap acoustic or squire strat or something. Or see if you have any family members that have one you can borrow. I literally gave one of my guitars to a friend that wanted to learn and my sister started on my acoustic till she showed that she was legit into it and played regularly for a couple years and I got her Her own electric after that.
Oh My!  If you cant scrape a few dollars together for a cheap used acoustic guitar on Craigslist or whatever your a waste of perfectly good protoplasm,  Oh but wait there's a specific guitar you want and that's all that will do,   Got some bad news for you Sunshine but this is setting yourself up for failure, Your looking at the guitar rather than looking to learn to play one,  A guitar is a guitar, if you can play one you can play them all,  So unless you plan to hone your skills at Air Guitar then your going to need a real guitar,  Doesn't matter what kind of guitar or how expensive just as long as its a guitar,   What is it with kids these days? 
Quote by nastytroll
Oh My!  If you cant scrape a few dollars together for a cheap used acoustic guitar on Craigslist or whatever your a waste of perfectly good protoplasm,  Oh but wait there's a specific guitar you want and that's all that will do,   Got some bad news for you Sunshine but this is setting yourself up for failure, Your looking at the guitar rather than looking to learn to play one,  A guitar is a guitar, if you can play one you can play them all,  So unless you plan to hone your skills at Air Guitar then your going to need a real guitar,  Doesn't matter what kind of guitar or how expensive just as long as its a guitar,   What is it with kids these days? 
You realise repeating advice that's already been given just so you can berate someone you don't know in barely-comprehensible Cummings-esque free verse doesn't help anyone and certainly doesn't reflect well on you, right? What happened to manners, huh?
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Where are you located? 

I practiced guitar long before I owned one. I worked in a music store. I played keyboards in a band, and the guitar player taught me some of the songs we already played. I hung out with a friend who had a guitar. It depends on whether you're willing to go for it hard enough to overcome your reservations about doing it unconventionally. Put another way, your "ask" needs to be bigger than your "but." 
K33nbl4d3
Think about it,   Granted I realize we live in a PC world today and the delicate snowflakes are easily offended but thankfully my children are grown and doing quite well,  This is just a matter of common sense which I'm afraid most of the PC youth of today are sorely lacking,  Parents and school systems seem to have forgone those lessons and what we're left with is, Well what has become epidemic in todays society, Lets ask some strangers online what they think because I'm unable to figure it out by myself, but if I don't like your response I'm offended,  So lets just say my persona of Nastytroll. I have others, is a way of preparing you for life in the real world where everyone you come in contact with isn't as PC as yourself,   Face it . Its not a new question by any means but come on man, that's just lack of common sense,  How can I learn to play guitar without a guitar? Seriously?   
Quote by nastytroll
K33nbl4d3
Think about it,   Granted I realize we live in a PC world today and the delicate snowflakes are easily offended but thankfully my children are grown and doing quite well,  This is just a matter of common sense which I'm afraid most of the PC youth of today are sorely lacking,  Parents and school systems seem to have forgone those lessons and what we're left with is, Well what has become epidemic in todays society, Lets ask some strangers online what they think because I'm unable to figure it out by myself, but if I don't like your response I'm offended,  So lets just say my persona of Nastytroll. I have others, is a way of preparing you for life in the real world where everyone you come in contact with isn't as PC as yourself,   Face it . Its not a new question by any means but come on man, that's just dumb,  How can I learn to play guitar without a guitar? Seriously?   
Think about it: People come to this forum for advice. If that concept offends your snowflake sensibilities, don't come here. It's a perfectly valid question: Why shouldn't there by a cheaper way to learn guitar? In practice, the sensible way is to find a cheaper guitar, and there are various options to achieve that, some of which are more obvious than others. eBay, Gumtree, charity shops, whatever. That's real advice. Antagonising kids and bitching about how things aren't like they used to be is not; it's merely being a nuisance. This nonsense does not benefit anyone.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
nastytroll probably has a point, however.  I'm not sure that a lot of the folks that post here as newbs really spend any time thinking first. 

If you figure that "learning to play guitar" is the real goal, then there have to be a billion ways to get that done outside the linear "go to music store, buy guitar." 

ONE way is to get a cheaper guitar. 

Another, however, is to find someone who owns a guitar who isn't using it, or who might be willing to teach you and let you practice while you don't actually own a guitar. Praise and Worship groups often know someone in the congregation who would be willing to teach and/or give you playing time in exchange for services rendered. 

One old fella asked ME once if I knew anyone who'd be willing to come over and clean and refurbish his collection of guitars. He had arthritis, wasn't interested in selling them off, but didn't (couldn't) play any more, but didn't want them to go to seed, either. I was expecting five or six, but ran into a room full. I cleaned, buffed, restrung, set them all up, replaced parts where needed, cleaned pots, even vacuumed out cases and treated the leather/vinyl on the outside. We put anti-corrosion emitters in most of the cases and bagged a bunch using those big clothing vacuum bags, and I put information in each case as to the year, model, finish type, etc. It was obvious these were all intended to be sold off (or inherited) when he passed, and we even researched current pricing as a starting point for his heirs.  It took a while, and what really delighted him was when I plugged them in to test things out and played. Led to long conversations as well. Not long after, he passed (turned out he also had cancer), and I was very surprised to find a couple of those same guitars on my doorstep sometime after with a note, "He knew these were your favorites, and he wanted them to go to a good home."   

Church rummage sales, garage sales, used bins at small guitar stores -- I've even found guitars that had been relegated to wall art pieces by decorators. Took some work, but they came back from the dead. Build one in wood working shop, check with importers for B stocks or seconds, talk to a lot of other guitar players.

There's always a way to accomplish a goal, but it may not be the single minded, linear path that gets you there. 
Last edited by dspellman at May 21, 2017,
Do you have access to any kind of (chromatic) musical instrument? If so you could work up some theory. It's a long time ago now, but I think my early efforts on piano helped when I took up guitar a few years later. It might also make your parents a bit more sympathetic if they see you making an effort.
Quote by stunmunch
Okay so it's going to take maybe 2 years until I can pick up a guitar and I don't have the patience to wait that long and don't want to feel like wasting my time right now. Is there any way in which I can practice guitar.. without guitar?

You can spend your time learning music theory, might want to look into a simple electric piano and bang on that for a while.
You may be surprised at the difference in perceptions from people between a guitar and a piano.
K33nbl4d3 
This aint rocket science.  I took all the online tests and practiced driving a car on a simulated computer program,  See where that gets you at the DMV.  Think I have a bad attitude?  Just wait till you get a load from that lady at the DMV counter as she'd love nothing more than to bite your head off and shit down your neck ,  Welcome to the real world,  If in my community you could go to the Boys and Girls club or another local music academy that has a program for the low income kids , Lord knows I've donated or put on loan enough gear over the years,  I don't dislike kids I just don't like little twits such as yourself  
Quote by nastytroll
K33nbl4d3 
This aint rocket science.  I took all the online tests and practiced driving a car on a simulated computer program,  See where that gets you at the DMV.  Think I have a bad attitude?  Just wait till you get a load from that lady at the DMV counter as she'd love nothing more than to bite your head off and shit down your neck ,  Welcome to the real world,  If in my community you could go to the Boys and Girls club or another local music academy that has a program for the low income kids , Lord knows I've donated or put on loan enough gear over the years,  I don't dislike kids I just don't like little twits such as yourself  
This isn't the place to take out your frustration at the rest of the world. I don't care that you can't pass your driving test. You're still contributing nothing to this forum by throwing a tantrum in every thread where someone shows up asking for advice on something you deem too simple.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
Quote by stunmunch
Is there any way in which I can practice guitar.. without guitar?

Not really, no.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Uh,,, That went way over your head didn't it K33nbl4d3.  I actually have a Class A CDL. Its required by my union job, You have a job right?   No?  Ok at least you have an opinion. 
Last edited by nastytroll at May 21, 2017,
Quote by nastytroll

Hate to say it but this guy is right. It's great you have a dream guitar but take what you can get. I started learning on my buddy's strat even though I listened to metal. Than got a nice Korean Washburn super strat when I had a little money even though I dreamed about a US Jackson. If you want to learn you will find a way. Any guitar will do.
I guess you could sit and learn some music theory. As for actual playing the short answer is no.
Ok hell may have just frozen over but I agree with nasty troll (minus some unneeded remarks).

O.p the idea that you lack patience yet want to play tells a lot. You need a guitar to play guitar plain and simple. I started in one of the worst pieces of shit ever. Getting some " dream" guitar will in no way make you better. Guitar requires time and patience. If you lack either then it's not for you.
Buying a "great" dream guitar won't make you great. Those commenting to that are completely correct. However for those already at the top it may be the small things on those custom guitars that help that elite player. Small things like rounded edges on the fret board or even a scalloped neck. To the right person they are what elevates their playing.

On the other side. New gear or nicer gear can motivate some folks.

I stand with the crowd here and highly suggest finding something inexpensive to get started. There are countless guitars out there now for cheap that are quite solid. Heck, I've seen a few Chinese Les Paul's out there under 300 that blew my mind how well they were put together. Some even came with a legit cap. There is a moral thing with buying one of those, and I get it. However if it was available and all I could afford I would snatch one up.

With cheap guitars you get to learn how to set a guitar up, because often times the setup is poor. Setting up a guitar is often something that new players overlook. With a El cheapo if you bone something trying to fix it replacing the guitar is easy and cheap.
Can't learn to play a guitar without putting your hands on a guitar. You could memorize chord shapes, maybe, off a sheet of paper. But you wouldn't be developing muscle memory. I suppose you could memorize scales as well, again, but not muscle memory would be learned. 
Quote by K33nbl4d3
You realise repeating advice that's already been given just so you can berate someone you don't know in barely-comprehensible Cummings-esque free verse doesn't help anyone and certainly doesn't reflect well on you, right? What happened to manners, huh?

You did notice his username, right?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I'm here to help people, dannyalcatraz; I don't consider a username saying "I'm a dick" as an excuse to act like a dick, any more than I see this and think "I'm voting Tory because at least they warned me". Hell, you don't look at my username and say "I bet that guy's a bread knife", rather you question my life decisions when I signed up to this forum 6 years ago.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'm here to help people, dannyalcatraz; I don't consider a username saying "I'm a dick" as an excuse to act like a dick, any more than I see this and think "I'm voting Tory because at least they warned me". Hell, you don't look at my username and say "I bet that guy's a bread knife", rather you question my life decisions when I signed up to this forum 6 years ago.

I'm here to help people to. In this case though a reality check was in order.. that was the most helpful thing to do. Guitar can't really be learned without actually playing one. Perhaps a kinder approach could have been taken but the ? Seemed a bit trollish to begin with
Quote by monwobobbo
I'm here to help people to. In this case though a reality check was in order.. that was the most helpful thing to do. Guitar can't really be learned without actually playing one. Perhaps a kinder approach could have been taken but the ? Seemed a bit trollish to begin with
Lots of people had already successfully given that reality check in civil tones
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
I'm going to have to agree if you can't come up with $50 to $100 to buy even a cheap guitar just to get a feel for the strings and fretboard then you are not trying hard enough, I mowed grass for a month or so to buy my first guitar for $35 back in the '80s.

Learning to play guitar without actually having a guitar is going to work about as good as clapping with one hand!

Edit: Look at it like this by the time you are able to afford the guitar that you really want, you could already be learning on the guitar that you can afford right now, start a poll and ask how many members here started learning on the guitar they wanted to have as opposed to a cheaper guitar they could afford 9/10 times anyone who DID have a great guitar to start either had well off parents or inherited the instrument but I'd wager 90% of us started playing on a less than stellar guitar!
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at May 22, 2017,
K33nbl4d3

I'm here to help, and don't particularly care for nastytroll' stone either.

I was just sort of commenting that- given the username- the lack of civility isn't surprising.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by stunmunch

If you came to my place (New Mexico)  I'd give you an old guitar for nothing. It's got fret buzz on the E string, but it's got a nice neck. Sounds like an old cheap Harmony or Stella because it's got old, shitty strings on it that I won't change. I only play it when I wanna remind myself what a low quality instrument feels like. It's got decent action, btw, but I think I may have stripped some threads on the truss rod. Shockingly...it has a truss rod. Anyway...if you are in the local region I'd let you have it for nothing if you came to Las Cruces to pick it up. 
Quote by dspellman
nastytroll probably has a point, however.  I'm not sure that a lot of the folks that post here as newbs really spend any time thinking first. 

Curse of knowledge... a lot of this stuff that's "common sense" has come from years of playing guitar, and we forget what we were like when we started playing. I mean I know maybe it's a little easier for some of our younger members seeing as you've been playing guitar since the 1920s (), but how do you think about stuff you know nothing about? Of course you're going to go to a forum to ask, that's the entire point of the forum.

I mean, I went looking at acoustic guitars a while back... I kind of felt out of my depth, and I kind of got the feeling from some of the shop assistants (I might've been imagining it) that they were thinking that if I didn't know a bit more maybe I shouldn't be buying an expensive guitar. But if you ask me, that's bullshit. How do I learn more without trying them? I can go away and come back a few years later and be in exactly the same place I am now.

Quote by monwobobbo
Ok hell may have just frozen over but I agree with nasty troll (minus some unneeded remarks).

O.p the idea that you lack patience yet want to play tells a lot. You need a guitar to play guitar plain and simple. I started in one of the worst pieces of shit ever. Getting some " dream" guitar will in no way make you better. Guitar requires time and patience. If you lack either then it's not for you.

I disagree. There's no way of knowing how you're going to react to guitar until you start playing. Some people who you'd think would take to it based on their personality don't; conversely other people who you'd bet wouldn't get anywhere can suddenly find that they've found their purpose in life (i seem to remember reb beach saying he took an aptitude test in school and the only thing it said he was any good at was music, for example).

Also some people can muck about for a while and then all of a sudden find their motivation, etc. etc. etc..

So yeah I don't agree with that either.

We're not here to be making moral judgments on people, we're here to help as best we can.

Quote by monwobobbo

we need to be careful that we don't get so jaded by trolling that we think everything is a troll. i mean, i could be wrong, but i've actually noticed very little troll threads lately I mean, if we fall for a successful troll, so what? Who cares? Do we care more about not looking silly than we do about helping people now?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at May 22, 2017,
For beginners it can be rather painful to pick up guitar. But there are two ways to combat such pain through practice and preparation. The two main aspects are the calluses on the tips of your fingers which normally form through lots of practice and the other aspect is overall finger strength, to not only get used to the pain while holding down the strings, but also keeping them there.

Working on the tips of your fingers to build up calluses can be achieved in many different ways. Such as simply pressing the tips of your fingers into something thin and metal, such as the side of a butter knife or straightening out a paper clip and laying it flat on a table and just pressing your non-dominant hand's finger tips into it (all except the thumb).

As for strength one can purchase a grip master for relatively cheap at virtually any music store or online catalog.
Costing anywhere between 10-15$

Last edited by TonsLoop at May 22, 2017,
Quote by Dave_Mc
Curse of knowledge... a lot of this stuff that's "common sense" has come from years of playing guitar, and we forget what we were like when we started playing. I mean I know maybe it's a little easier for some of our younger members seeing as you've been playing guitar since the 1920s (), but how do you think about stuff you know nothing about? Of course you're going to go to a forum to ask, that's the entire point of the forum.

I mean, I went looking at acoustic guitars a while back... I kind of felt out of my depth, and I kind of got the feeling from some of the shop assistants (I might've been imagining it) that they were thinking that if I didn't know a bit more maybe I shouldn't be buying an expensive guitar. But if you ask me, that's bullshit. How do I learn more without trying them? I can go away and come back a few years later and be in exactly the same place I am now.

I disagree. There's no way of knowing how you're going to react to guitar until you start playing. Some people who you'd think would take to it based on their personality don't; conversely other people who you'd bet wouldn't get anywhere can suddenly find that they've found their purpose in life (i seem to remember reb beach saying he took an aptitude test in school and the only thing it said he was any good at was music, for example).

Also some people can muck about for a while and then all of a sudden find their motivation, etc. etc. etc..

So yeah I don't agree with that either.

We're not here to be making moral judgments on people, we're here to help as best we can.

we need to be careful that we don't get so jaded by trolling that we think everything is a troll. i mean, i could be wrong, but i've actually noticed very little troll threads lately I mean, if we fall for a successful troll, so what? Who cares? Do we care more about not looking silly than we do about helping people now?

Dave not sure what you are getting at. Guitar does require patience and time, we all know that. As for judging well any time I read a thread I do try to see where the person is coming from. If you wish to call that judging then so be it.

As for trolling I rarely immediately jump to that conclusion and feel that I have a fair bit of patience with total noob questions. In this case it's a bit of a stretch. I admit I had a hard time taking this seriously. I have gotten on nasty troll more than once about discouraging new players. This time I had to reluctantly agree with him (and those who said you need a guitar).

I will never encourage cruel responses to legitimate questions on this forum. I also don't believe in candy coating things. Pc I'm not. Call it the old man in me if you like
My point is that not having patience because you're dying to get a guitar (which I strongly suspect all of us are guilty of... even when we already have several guitars) is not necessarily the same as not having the patience to learn the guitar *once you actually have that guitar*. You're conflating two disparate things.

FWIW I agree that there's not much you can do without a guitar, but that doesn't I agree with a lot of the other posts. The only thing I really took issue with that the original poster said was his point about not wanting to take a guitar from his parents, that he wanted to buy it with his own money. If they're willing to buy you a guitar, take the guitar!
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Page 1 of 2