Hi

After being without a guitar for a long time I have decided to treat myself and have a proper go this time. I didn't have any formal lessons last time around and although strumming a few riffs didn't get very far. Also giving my guitar away on a drunken night didn't help either!

Anyway I've got my heart set on a second hand acoustic, Faith Saturn Dreadnought, which looks the dogs: )

I haven't seen the guitar and just seen it on ebay, the guy says that the top/bass E is set at 3/32" (2.8mm) and the bottom/treble E at 1/16" (1.6mm) he states that there is no fret buzz. Does this sound too low? What my style of play I hear you ask, well I don't really know yet but at the moment I see myself using a pick (I need to stop biting my nails). The guy says he is willing to have it setup to what I want, problem is I don't know really how to answer that!

Help is appreciated.

Simon
You can only the minimum heights to the level that gives no buzz. This level is dictated by the accuracy of the frets - i.e. if they are all as level as they should be you can set a low action. Tony Done's settings are what I would normally expect from a decent acoustic.
Quote by Tony Done
Those are heights are typical, and I set mine at 1.6 to 1.8 mm treble, 2.4 to 2.6 mm bass, at the body fret. It sounds good to me.

Quote by PSimonR
You can only the minimum heights to the level that gives no buzz. This level is dictated by the accuracy of the frets - i.e. if they are all as level as they should be you can set a low action. Tony Done's settings are what I would normally expect from a decent acoustic.

Thanks guys!
Simp Here's a very good acoustic setup guide: http://thbecker.net/guitar_playing/guitars_and_setup/setup_page_01.html

The author suggests .10 (1/10 of an inch), for the E-6 string. (Most of us refer to that as the "bottom string" because of its pitch). You are correct that it's physically on the top of the neck. Anyway, "3/32" expressed rounded to the lowest common denominator is "1/10" give or take. So arguably, the guitar is dead on.

Keep in mind that string height is far from the only factor influencing or causing fret buzz. Some others are, the neck relief, any neck twist, top nut groove.height, and string gauge. On the player's side, how hard you swing and pick thickness affect the outcome considerably.

The string height of most acoustics varies seasonally, as the guitar top adjusts to primarily relative humidity, but also to average temperature range.

So, the string height of the guitar, as advertised, is dead on. BUT, the most important thing to consider, is whether or not there is any saddle above the bridge, or it has been ground down as far as practical. This goes to the neck angle, along with, when it's possible or likely the guitar might need a neck reset.

So, read the guide I linked before you say "I do", with your new missus. And ask the seller the right question, "how much saddle is left showing with those string heights.
Last edited by Captaincranky at May 22, 2017,
Quote by Captaincranky
Simp Here's a very good acoustic setup guide: http://thbecker.net/guitar_playing/guitars_and_setup/setup_page_01.html

The author suggests  .10 (1/10 of an inch), for the E-6 string. (Most of us refer to that as the "bottom string" because of its pitch). You are correct that it's physically on the top of the neck. Anyway, "3/32" expressed rounded to the lowest common denominator is "1/10" give or take. So arguably, the guitar is dead on.

Keep in mind that string height is far from the only factor influencing or causing fret buzz. Some others are, the neck relief, any neck twist, top nut groove.height, and string gauge. On the player's side, how hard you swing and pick thickness affect the outcome considerably.

The string height of most acoustics varies seasonally, as the guitar top adjusts to primarily relative humidity, but also to average temperature range.

So, the string height of the guitar, as advertised, is dead on. BUT, the most important thing to consider, is whether or not there is any saddle above the bridge, or it has been ground down as far as practical. This goes to the neck angle, along with, when it's possible or likely the guitar might need a neck reset.

So, read the guide I linked before you say "I do", with your new missus. And ask the seller the right question, "how much saddle is left showing with those string heights.

Thank you for the detailed reply and link. I have bought the guitar after successfully negotiating a decent deal so too late for checking how much saddle is left!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/132184102527 Scroll down for detail/pictures. I can't wait to get it!
Quote by Simp
Thank you for the detailed reply and link. I have bought the guitar after successfully negotiating a decent deal so too late for checking how much saddle is left!
Well, I looked at the pictures, (assuming they're pictures of that particular guitar), and there's enough saddle showing you should be good for a few years, at least.

We don't really run into the "Faith" brand here in the colonies So, I can't tell you one blessed thing about it. At least other than the few people I've run into here at UG, from the UK, had nice things to say about them.

The reality is, (assuming you had rosewood particularly in mind), you're very lucky the axe was already in Merry Old England, or you wouldn't be getting, at all!

For the back story on that, please read this recent thread, which covers the now illegal to import rosewood! Follow this link https://reverb.com/news/new-cites-regulations-for-all-rosewood-species for a lot more information about updated CITES restrictions regarding ALL rosewoods.

Quote by Simp
I can't wait to get it!
Well, congratulations will be in order, (note the verb tense), after you get your hot little hands on it, and you start a, "new guitar day thread". We love to gossip, and we have plenty of sunshine to blow where ever it may be needed. Thus, we look forward to hearing from you, and all the juicy details.
Quote by Captaincranky
Well, I looked at the pictures, (assuming they're pictures of that particular guitar), and there's enough saddle showing you should be good for a few years, at least.

We don't really run into the "Faith" brand here in the colonies So, I can't tell you one blessed thing about it. At least other than the few people I've run into here at UG, from the UK, had nice things to say about them.

The reality is, (assuming you had rosewood  particularly in mind), you're very lucky the axe was already in Merry Old England, or you wouldn't be getting, at all!

For the back story on that, please read this recent thread, which covers the now illegal to import rosewood! Follow this link https://reverb.com/news/new-cites-regulations-for-all-rosewood-species for a lot more information about updated CITES restrictions regarding ALL rosewoods.

Well, congratulations will be in order, (note the verb tense), after you get your hot little hands on it, and you start a, "new guitar day thread". We love to gossip, and we have plenty of sunshine to blow where ever it may be needed. Thus, we look forward to hearing from you, and all the juicy details.

Thanks Capt. 

Faith guitars are nice in my limited knowledge. I have seen many of my brothers (John) guitars (he's played for in excess of 45 years) and Faith feel right to me, John loved the one I gave away!

The guitar in the eBay photos match up with the serial number quoted so yes I believe the photos are of the guitar I will receive tomorrow... still can't wait!

We had some bad news in Manchester relating to the suicide bomb that went off, which was made worse as we knew someone who died. Feeling really sad at the moment but will pick myself up soon as we can't let these people win! 
Last edited by Simp at May 23, 2017,