Hey guys, so I've been rocking the good ole spider 4 for about 6 years now. Was great for a beginner amp but I'm in need of a change. Budget is around 3 grand for a head and cab, looking for something that can get some great high gain while still having great cleans so I've been looking at the jvm205h, the mesa mini rectifier or the evh 5150 iii. Can't make up my mind for the life of me so any suggestions would be great!

Cheers ๐Ÿ™‚
Ippon it'll mostly be a bedroom amp with the intent of still being able to play at a small live setting, would getting a 100+ watt amp be an overkill for that? Plus from what I've heard you won't really get the full extent of the tone the amp has to deliver unless it's cranked, might be wrong though my knowledge of amps is limited haha.
What kind of music? And sometimes the 100w heads will sound better at low volumes compared to lower wattage ones.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
DarthV I like to play mostly metal/ hard rock stuff from iron maiden to machine head to lamb of god. Also love some good blues soloing as well.
Out of those I'd probably buy the 50 watt EVH 5150 III -- only because I think the 50 watt version sounds the best out of all of that series. And 50 watts can pack a wallop no problem. I'd probably go with the matching 2x12 cab as well --or even a Mesa 2x12 cab. But I've heard the EVH doesn't sound as good with Vintage 30s so I don't know if you'd be any better off with a Mesa. With all of that, you're still way under budget. That'll give you room for a lot of nice pedals such as ODs, EQ pedal, Reverb/Delay etc. Probably STILL under budget after that.

There are certainly higher end options as well. But if you're coming directly off a Line 6 Spider a.)you will likely be dumbfounded by the tone you get out of the 5153; b.) you've suffered with bad tone for so long you likely don't yet know what your ideal tone actually is.

A 5153 would be versatile, is well built and will definitely cover the genres you mentioned. You could spend more, but higher priced amps aren't necessarily better at this point-- they're just different. It might be a rig that gets you by for a couple of years until you try something you like even better-- or it might be a rig that can't be beat; it depends entirely on your ears.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Last edited by KailM at May 21, 2017,
KailM yeah your right, I guess anything will sound amazing compared to the spider. The evh would still be around the 2800 mark new with the 2x12 (in Australia ๐Ÿ˜•) but it's the cheaper of the bunch and I do like it a lot. Might try look around for some second hand prices as well
Thanks dude!
These are running @$1800 in the USA right now. 50w, 3 channel. Headphone jack.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by KailM
Out of those I'd probably buy the 50 watt EVH 5150 III -- only because I think the 50 watt version sounds the best out of all of that series.  And 50 watts can  pack a wallop no problem.  I'd probably go with the matching 2x12 cab as well --or even a Mesa 2x12 cab.   But I've heard the EVH doesn't sound as good with Vintage 30s so I don't know if you'd be any better off with a Mesa.   With all of that, you're still way under budget.  That'll give you room for a lot of nice pedals such as ODs, EQ pedal, Reverb/Delay etc.  Probably STILL under budget after that.

My 50w is a beast and I agree, the EVH 212 works better than the mesa recto 212. The recto definitely makes it sound shrill, or at least for playing at home.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
KailMDarthV The 5153 50 watter is a killer amp.

I really love the oversized Orange 212 W/ V30's with that amp though. Tons of low end. Significantly more than the equivalent Mesa.

There seems to be conflicting evidence that the EVH's are too bright with the V30's too. Ignoring the excessive gain in this vid of course, I don't agree at all.

Something that may explain the conflicting evidence, (and my personal experience) is that the V30's that come in the Mesa 212 cabinets are 16 ohms each and wired in parallel, creating a total impedance of 8 ohms. The 16 ohms of each speaker means there's twice as many windings in the voice coil than the 8 ohm V30's (wired in series to make 16 ohms) that come in the Orange cabinets. Which make the 16 ohm speakers much brighter.

Basically, the same speakers with different impedances sound a lot different.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by mightybenihana
Ippon it'll mostly be a bedroom amp with the intent of still being able to play at a small live setting, would getting a 100+ watt amp be an overkill for that? Plus from what I've heard you won't really get the full extent of the tone the amp has to deliver unless it's cranked, might be wrong though my knowledge of amps is limited haha.

You don't need to crank those amps for them to deliver.  I recommended those given the budget you're willing to spend.  

The EVH III 50W is a solid recommendation and probably a better option given you're upgrading from a solid state.
Can't go wrong with Mesa, either Mini Rec or Mark V 25 watt thru a 2x12. Look at Orange Rockerverb series, they have variable outputs and sound great as well.
Laney IRT has a 50 watt option, there's also the Marshall JCM2000 DSL50:
https://marshallamps.com/products/amplifiers/jcm2000-dsl-series/jcm2000-dsl50/

You might also be headed towards boutique amp category with that shopping budget, I wouldn't shy away from a Soldano SLO. There is also some Fryette, Bogner and Rivera goodness, even some PTP amps like Marshapolous, etc.
lol @ the gain @ 3 oclock in that comparison o.O

@ mightybenihana

You've listed 3 bands that all use different styles of amps. Maiden would be your classic 80s Marshall, Machine Head was well known for using 5150/6505 and LoG is heavily into the Mesa Mark camp. Guessing that the Mark V 25 would be out of your price range? If so, the 5150 III 50 is probably your best bet.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
I like the MK V head too for that kind of budget , sounds great turned down at any of the watt ranges , I usually left mine at 90 .... I would like Road King even better
Cheers for all the help and suggestions fellas. At the moment I think I am swinging towards the evh, went and had a play at the guitar shop and it was pretty rad! I'll keep looking around for good deals though, a lot of amps seem pretty pricey in Aus.
Yeah in Aus the EVH is probably your best bet, you guys get slammed on most stuff.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
You don't really need to crank tube amps for them to sound better. Unless you are running a non master volume amp, or are after the sound of power amp distortion [think AC/DC]. For heavier gain stuff, the overdrive is nearly always exclusively preamp gain - the high wattage ensures that the power amp stays clean even at high volumes.
For cleans, it's similar - some silverface fender twins are over 100w - it allows the amp to stay really clean even at high volumes. Other guys, like a bit of grit in their cleans, and may benefit from a lower wattage so they don't have to crank it quite so much to get that power amp crunch. If you want pristine cleans over a drummer you'll probably want over 30w.

In saying that, most tube amps do benefit from being ran at higher than minimum volumes - this doesn't mean it needs to be cranked, a loudish but comfortable volume usually does the trick, opening up the sound a bit. This might be purely down to psychology [we perceive loud sounds as sounding better], but I think it translates in recordings too, when the levels are matched in post production

You probably won't find a roadking or mkV or any of the flagship mesas under your budget in Australia, but if you do they are definitely good options. The mkV [or mkIV] is LoG tone, but I prefer the roadking. Frankly, in my experience Marshall's are similarly overpriced here.

I'd definitely look at the EVH, but also consider orange and laney - they are all better value than mesa in Australia imo [and I'm Australian and own a mesa...]
RIP Gooze

cats