Page 1 of 4
For me it's the Fender mustang shape. I like telles for that vintage look and a lot of weird pointy guitars, even bc rich bitch but god damn mustangs are ugly.
I've never been a fan of the SG shape. So far, my life has been mostly fulfilling.
I am a fake mountain.
Some of the more extreme "metal" guitars- the ones that look like BC Riches/Minariks with exotic skin conditions- actually turn me off.

Beyond that? Nothing much bugs me.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Hideous is a bit strong, but I wouldn't want anything fancier than, say, an LP Special, or a strat or tele in conservative colours (black and/or plain timber are good), That rules any and all carved-top LPs and up, with one weird exception - an original Zemaitis with a lot of engraved metal. The weight would likely put me off those though.
Last edited by Tony Done at May 21, 2017,
LP specials. Their aesthetic reminds me too much of cheap starter pack guitars. The TV yellow Juniors are acceptable though.

I also really dislike black strats with white pickguards for the exact same reason.

Also, LTD 1000 series guitars with piles of abalone all over the fretboard. It looks like Walt Disney vomited all over it. Also somewhat related, trans-red quilt maple veneer topped guitars with EMG's. Just about every brand has done that formula to death and it totally fails to excite me anymore.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Can't say hideous but I hate the widow headstock used on the "metal" bc rich guitars. I love bc rich but not that headstock.

Hey black strat good enough for Jimi good enough for me
I thought the Mockingbird was kinda ugly, but I remember it was damn comfortable to sit down with.
So form over function I guess.
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.

justinguitar.com is the answer
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
LP specials. Their aesthetic reminds me too much of cheap starter pack guitars. The TV yellow Juniors are acceptable though.

I also really dislike black strats with white pickguards for the exact same reason.

The only thing I think is wrong with my LP Special is the weight, about nine pounds.

I agree that white on black looks vulgar. Single ply black on black  is much more dignified.
Quote by DanTheHobbit
I've never been a fan of the SG shape. So far, my life has been mostly fulfilling.

Ditto. And Ditto.
I don't really care much about how guitars look but Gibson Vs and Explorers are as "pointy" as I'll go because any more extreme than that and they just don't suit me, neither aesthetically nor in terms of the specifications that guitars of that style tend to have.

Even guitars that combine elements of both like the Dean ML are a bit too much. Cadillac?... Yeah, I could live with one of those were it not for that atrocious headstock. It's not the way it looks that really bothers me, although it does look utterly ridiculous IMO - it's the fact it takes all the flaws of the classic Gibson headstock design, and makes them 10x worse, because the design is clearly form over function.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Anything above $2000 thats super glossy
Last edited by GuitarHawk99 at May 22, 2017,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

Also, LTD 1000 series guitars with piles of abalone all over the fretboard. It looks like Walt Disney vomited all over it. Also somewhat related, trans-red quilt maple veneer topped guitars with EMG's. Just about every brand has done that formula to death and it totally fails to excite me anymore.
Agreed on pretty much all counts, except that I do quite dig the vibe of "utilitarian" Les Pauls, at least as Les Pauls go. Also, mint green pickguards fully work magic on boring coloured Strats in making them look way less like cheap garbage, though it doesn't save sunburst which is always ugly. Until it starts coming off, anyway.

Quote by monwobobbo
Hey black strat good enough for Jimi good enough for me
He knew how to look more interesting than whatever he was playing; most guitarists don't

I think most of those Reverends dannyalcatraz posts are hideous, but I don't know whether or not I'm in a minority with that They're all nice smooth lines that suddenly get interrupted with some weird jagged dip for no discernible reason and entirely dissimilar shapes just thrown together. I'm absolutely not a fan of Fender Mustangs, though I think that they tend to look a lot better when they're being played than they do on a stand. I can't stand dreadnought acoustics, I think they're both ugly and boring. Also, all those high-end customs where there's a big dip behind the bridge for fine tuners or something that makes the whole thing look like a big wooden ballsack are not for me. Those standard PRS doublecuts look boring as hell, like they took the two most generic guitar designs around and stripped them of all their distinctive features to make something more generic. I rarely see the point in flametops - they look pretty in person but just aren't that interesting unless there's a cool colour scheme (e.g. I'd own the fuck out of Herman Li's old purple sig) and Les Pauls in particular just look better with plain tops. Headless guitars always look worse than they would with a headstock - the body is largely decorative and the fretboard is largely utilitarian, so if you don't contain the fretboard between decorative elements it's like some slick piece of Japanese electronics with cables sticking out of a hole in the side.

I think I'm done now. I'm like this with food, too.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Pretty much anything electric by DEAN, especially the ML/Razerback.  
K33nbl4d3

Reverends would be bigger if more people liked their looks, I'm thinking, so you're probably not in the minority.

But the jagged lines of which you speak are- near as I can tell- limited to the pickguards. I mean...
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

dannyalcatraz
Pretty much. I love the sparkles, I love the purples, I love the configurations but those verdammte pickguards...

I still haven't forgiven you for the time I mentioned Italia and you said you were into this thing:
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at May 22, 2017,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

Agreed there also.  I don't like Abalone inlays on most guitars on anythign bigger than dots.  In some rare cases it looks ok but for the most part it looks tacky as hell. MOP on an ebony board is my favorite. 
K33nbl4d3

For me, that one's pickguard is forgiven because of the rarity of the P90/S/S configuration.

Quote by GuitarHawk99
Anything above $2000 with a gloss finish

Send them my way. 

I'm not a fan of satin finish ("oooh, *stealth*!") on cheap guitars. 
To some it says, "No frills rock and roll." 
To me it says, "They cheaped out on the clear and the grain fill and didn't want to spend for the labor to polish the things."

It also says, "If this guitar is used, it's likely that they didn't bother to wipe down *anything* (because who could tell the difference?), so we're going to have to disinfect it, remove random DNA, and assume corrosion is building in the pickup coils."

YMMV.
I don't like gold toned guitars for some reason I can't discern. I dislike sharp jagged edged designs and like smooth curves. The avatar for the poster above me, GuitarHawk99 is pretty damned gorgeous. The horns on that guitar, whatever it is, are about as sharp as I want to see. 
For me the Synster Gates signature look like crap. You pick the model/company of the guitar. Never made a good one, imo
Quote by GuitarHawk99
dspellman I never said anything about covering up the wood?

Congratulations.
Where did THAT come up?
Manufacturers, by the way, don't let wood out in the wild without some kind of finish. It may be tung oil, it may be satin polyester, whatever. Even the very expensive carefully reliced five-figure Gibsons that look like they've been worn down to bare wood have satin lacquer covering the "bare" parts.
So if you think you have a guitar with bare wood somewhere, I'd have to doubt it.
Quote by guitarkid8
Thread is worthless without pictures. Kudos to those who posted them.
Alright.

Ugly, looks like someone told a bauhaus architect to design the pickguards without showing them the guitars

Ugly, looks like it got sat on

Ugly, boring

Ugly, looks like pierced balls

Ugly, unspeakably dull

Ugly, looks like an expensive table, should look like this

Ugly again, looks like it hasn't been finished as well as like pierced balls
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
Quote by K33nbl4d3
Alright.

Ugly again, looks like it hasn't been finished as well as like pierced balls

It sorta does, doesn't it? It is NOT a pretty guitar. Nonetheless, this is on my short list, though it will likely be a multiscale 7-string. Those pierced balls are superb for allowing the guitar to lean against an amp (or wall) with stability.
Quote by dspellman
It sorta does, doesn't it? It is NOT a pretty guitar. Nonetheless, this is on my short list, though it will likely be a multiscale 7-string. Those pierced balls are superb for allowing the guitar to lean against an amp (or wall) with stability.
I can't imagine I should like to be leaned against an amp on pierced balls, but I don't doubt that it'll be a very nice guitar to play.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
Quote by K33nbl4d3
Alright.

Ugly, looks like someone told a bauhaus architect to design the pickguards without showing them the guitars

Hot wax was allowed to slosh across a table, and was then photographed when cooled. "Okay, pick the shape you like the least."
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I can't imagine I should like to be leaned against an amp on pierced balls,

No idea. If you're into having your balls pierced, maybe being leaned against an amp on them is just an extension of the whole ethos...
Quote by zerostoneman
For me the Synster Gates signature look like crap. You pick the model/company of the guitar. Never made a good one, imo

I agree with the Schecter S.G. being ugly.  I have a love/hate relationship with Schecter.  I'll often see a Schecter, that if made by Jackson, Charvel, ESP, etc would be a sexy beast. However, I've never picked up a Schecter that felt or sounded good to me.  So now when I see one, I can't help associate it with crap and might as well be ugly (even when I would normally think it's gorgeous).  But the Gates models are just place ugly anyways.
Last edited by Xander_X at May 22, 2017,
dspellman what's with all the assumptions?

Quote by dspellman
To me it says, "They cheaped out on the clear and the grain fill and didn't want to spend for the labor to polish the things."

How does not polishing and using satin on it hide a shoddy job on the grain, as if satin will mask a bad top?

I also never mentioned satin, and no need to get so worked up.
K33nbl4d3

You post the same Kiesel guitar twice to make the same "pierced balls" joke twice for a reason? You got something against pierced balls? Did pierced balls do something to as a child?

Quote by dannyalcatraz
K33nbl4d3

You post the same Kiesel guitar twice to make the same "pierced balls" joke twice for a reason? You got something against pierced balls? Did pierced balls do something to as a child?

the second time was for the lack of a headstock but i am not about to deny that the concept of pierced balls is somewhat uncomfortable to me

my industrial hurt like a bitch and as nice as my piercer is i'd rather keep her away from my genitals
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Some of the more extreme "metal" guitars- the ones that look like BC Riches/Minariks with exotic skin conditions- actually turn me off.

Stuff like this...

Steve Vai Ibanez.  I know so many metal heads and shredders that idolize the thing but I can't get past how boring of a guitar it is and the handle makes it gross.  
"I definitely don’t write all my music in a blackout, like I used to, although I did come up with some good stuff in a blackout."
-Matt Fucking Pike
Quote by dannyalcatraz
I had a variant of this shape for about a year like a couple years ago and I'm still not sure I dislike it; moreover it was an incredibly comfortable guitar to play. But you're absolutely right that it's awful. But I could totally see myself getting another some day...
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
K33nbl4d3

I love jewelry, but I have NO piercings. I'd rather have a tattoo than a piercing...and I have no tattoos, either.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
K33nbl4d3

I love jewelry, but I have NO piercings. I'd rather have a tattoo than a piercing...and I have no tattoos, either.

You get points for that, most tats I see, if you put them on canvas and framed them people wouldn't even hang it in the bathroom, much less any where people could see it.
And the idea of symmetry is lost on so many people.
K33nbl4d3
File off some of those extra points, and I'd be OK with it.

Page 1 of 4