I recently bought a Jasmine S-35 Dreadnought, which was $80, so it's not some irreplaceable masterpiece, but I want to take it on my flight to Spain over the summer. I forget which airline we are flying with, but I know that they have an agreement with Iberia, the Spanish airline, so everything that would be allowed on my U.S. airline would also be allowed on an Iberia flight. I would hope that I would be able to store it overhead, but if I get a hard case, it might be sort of cumbersome and hard to fit. Then again, if I were forced to put it in the hold, a gig bag would not do. I am planning on purchasing a humidifier whether I fly with it or not, but will that compensate for the cold air in the hold? Another possibility I had thought of was asking them to store it in a coat closet (if there even is one...). To keep it safe I was planning on loosening the strings, stuffing some clothes in there, popping in a humidifier, and protecting the frets from the strings with a few layers of newspaper. Then I thought I would put socks or newspaper (or towels, just something soft) where the edges of the guitar are inside of the case (I would cushion the headstock especially). Also, I have heard of brands of cases that can be dropped from a moving car with no damage, but that sounds costly. Is this plan a good one, even if it gets put in the hold? Also, how probable is it that i would be able to store it overhead?

Thank you,
Nate Olson
-->Fender Squier Bullet Strat
-->Fender Deluxe Players Strat

-->Dunlop Crybaby 535Q wah
-->Behringer EM600 Echo Machine (piece o' crap)
-->Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive

-->Fender Mustang II
-->RMS GA-10
My best advice is to get in the plane as soon as you can so you can beat other people for storage. You're allowed to take your guitar with you by law.

I've flown my Les Paul and acoustic multiple times (including from Japan to the States). Get a case though. Baggage are prone to shift in the overhead compartments and the flight attendants might end up handling your instrument. One time they offered to place mine in the cockpit since there was a shortage of space which I was very thankful for.

EDIT: You're on the right track with everything else. I just made sure the humidifier was good to go, loosened the strings just a little bit (half a turn or so), and stuffed some shirts for padding since my case is a little too big for my acoustic model.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Last edited by evening_crow at May 22, 2017,
evening_crow Thank you for the helpful reply, but I am concerned about what might happen if they store it in the hold. I followed your Guitarworld link, and then I read the rest of the information in the act, and the instrument still has to be within their carry on size and weight. The legislature just ensures that they can't discriminate when it comes to instruments, but it still has to meet the carry on conditions of the airline in question. My guitar is 8 x 18 x 48 and the maximum carry on size for united is 9 x 14 x 22, so that law doesn't apply here.

-->Fender Mustang II
-->RMS GA-10
nate8olson

True... but chances are they'll let it through. They tend to leave guitars alone so don't check it in with your main bags. If it doesn't fit in the overhead once you're in the plane that's when they might offer to store it in a different location (special compartments the staff uses, I'm guessing). Another scenario, they'll ask if they can store it with the luggage in the bottom at no charge. That's pretty common for extra carry on that doesn't fit due to crowded flights. None of my cases are that small, to be honest, and I've had a good success rate. One time I did let them put my LP underneath but wasn't charged even though it ended up tagged as "oversized" due to the length.

That's worst case scenario though, which is why I recommend a hardshell case. Worth a shot, right?
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
evening_crow It seems like that would probably work. I will get a hardshell just in case though. Thank you!

-->Fender Mustang II
-->RMS GA-10
You may find your guitar gate checked (it will sometimes be on a cart outside the plane when you get off). Generally that's okay, but United in particular has destroyed guitars via terrible handling (google United Destroys Guitars for the tale of a Taylor -- in a hard case -- destroyed by United baggage handlers).

A humidifier isn't going to do much for you, honestly, and it's probably unnecessary for the flight. But your packing ideas for inside the case are spot on. You'll notice that ESP puts a long skinny piece of hard plastic between the strings and the frets when they ship new guitars, and you can actually buy those online (or make them yourself). They prevent strings from leaving indentations in the frets due to the compression of the top of the case on the neck (or impact to the case). It's a good idea for year-round use as well.

Most guitars won't go in the carry-on bins, and the various airlines have been shrinking that maximum size right along. If they've got room in a coat closet, that's a good thing. If not, it's going in the hold.
dspellman I won't be taking United, so I guess that's good, but I don't really know much about the airline that I will be flying because it is a Spanish airline. Also, I will need to get a case that is tsa approved, right? Doesn't that just mean that if they can open the lock it's good.

-->Fender Mustang II
-->RMS GA-10
IMO if you're not making a permanent move or need your guitar for a paying gig, you're better off just leaving it at home.  Way to much crap can go wrong & against you.  If you're one of those people that need a guitar for traveling just to have it, either get a traveling guitar or a small bodied headless guitar like a Stienberger Spirit.  But that's not an acoustic obviously. Just save your money and worry's/concerns and leave it at home and enjoy your trip.      
Way Cool JR. Yeah I was hoping that it wouldn't be such a hassle that I would need to do that, but it seems like that might be the case :/

-->Fender Mustang II
-->RMS GA-10