Hi!

Looking to upgrade my current Roland Cube 20GX amp.
Came across two good solid state amps ie Peavey Bandit and the Randall Rg80.

Which among the two is better for metal? Any other suggestions are welcomed. My budget is nearly 400 DOLLARS. My location is India.

PS: I would love to have some low wattage tube amps but the hassle of changing tubes and biasing is not my thing. We dont have a proper guitar tech here in my city, otherwise I would have surely bought a tube amp.
Last edited by cyruseternity at May 22, 2017,
Quote by cyruseternity
PS: I would love to have some low wattage tube amps but the hassle of changing tubes and biasing is not my thing. We dont have a proper guitar tech here in my city, otherwise I would have surely bought a tube amp.

The hassle of changing tubes and biasing is no hassle at all, really. Biasing is not a difficult or long procedure, and you generally do it just once for the life of your power tubes, but there are many amps you can look for that you do not have to mess with the bias at all in most cases. Look for amps that are cathode biased, which essentially means they bias themselves. Also, some amps are fixed, non-adjustable bias which are biased by a fixed resistor and often do not need manual adjustment in most cases.

And pulling the tubes and replacing them is as easy as changing a light bulb, and you will likely only have to do it every few years, if that. Part of the responsibility of owning an amp that sounds really good is knowing how to perform basic maintenance, though. You might could find a used 6505 MH and a V30 cab around your budget.
Last edited by Will Lane at May 22, 2017,
Bandit isn't a metal amp. Good pedal platform but not a metal amp by itself. I'd look for a used jet city. As mentioned many tube amps are fairly hassle free.

Look around a little more as I have no idea what is readily available in india
Used market is nearly non existant here in India, so this is'nt an option.
Though I came across the Randall RD1 Diavlo 1 watt head, fits within my budget.

I even emailed the Randall guys and they said that it is not necessary at all to bias the particular amp. Is the amp worth it?
The RD1 isn't too bad, and given your situation may be the best option. Is Jet City available where you are?
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
The RD1 isn't too bad, and given your situation may be the best option. Is Jet City available where you are?[/QUOTE
Quote by dementiacaptain
The RD1 isn't too bad, and given your situation may be the best option. Is Jet City available where you are?

I've seen many recommending the Jetcity amps. Are these amps that good?

Anyways Ill be ordering the amp from Thomann, they ship products to India too.
Last edited by cyruseternity at May 22, 2017,
Jet City are pretty solid if you want a good rock amp. Thats another important point: what music do you want to play?
Quote by dementiacaptain
Jet City are pretty solid if you want a good rock amp. Thats another important point: what music do you want to play?

I play mostly metal think Inflames, Children of Bodom.
The JCA2212 would be a good one, not perfect but with a Tubescreamer overdrive used as a boost (level maxed, gain near 0, level to taste) you could get some good sounds.

Other than that, not a ton of good options under budget. If I were you I would consider saving up some more money, and then getting something a bit better suited to your interests.
The Randall RG series may work for you as you've found.  Are you open to another modeler?  If so, look at the Peavey VIP 2 (the one with the 12" speaker).  

If you do decide to go tube, check out the Laney IRT-Studio - it should get you there with a boost.  
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
If your going through Thomann you might be interested in the Joyo Zombie, 20W mini head, solid state power amp with 1 preamp tube - no need to bias - and the harley benton 112 cab with vintage 30 speaker, I think both of those are still in your budget.

I have no experience with the zombie other that youtube clips, people seem impressed by it for metal tones. Also the Peavey Vypr is a good recommendation.
Now the vypyr seems to be a good bet. But I can also get the Peavey 6505 combo for nearly 400 here. Would'nt it be loud for a bedroom?
Quote by cyruseternity
Now the vypyr seems to be a good bet. But I can also get the Peavey 6505 combo for nearly 400 here. Would'nt it be loud for a bedroom?

That's what the volume knob is for. But seriously the 6505 combo has pre and post controls so you can get solid preamp distortion at reasonable volumes. Someone who owns one can comment on how they sound at those low volumes but they can work in a bedroom.
Guys! I am getting a great deal on Randall RD1 head and a Harley Benton cab with v30. Getting both for nearly 300 dollars on Thomann. Good deal?
The 6505 combo is probably a better get, but the RD1 and HB cab is not bad.
Want a nice amp head (this is tube) at bedroom volumes? Check out the Panama Guitars botique amp the Shaman II. The can you can buy separate with it also has a built in attunueator. It's basically a clone of the mesa boogie mini rectifier. Just picked this up last week and absolutely LOVE the sound of this amp. The built in Attunueator is nice for the "bedroI'm levels" switchable bewtween 10 and 20 watts. Has plenty of gain at talking level.