I know, I know... It's already discussed for a couple of times but I'm curious about how should I move for forward with my career as a guitarist. I'm playing 6 string guitars for almost 10 years and last year I planned to buy a 7 string guitar. The reason is obvious: I need that additional string - I'm really big fan of progressive metal/deathcore music so I planned to buy a Sterling JP70. I heard good/bad things about this axe but I'm open for any advise! Budget is max. 1400$ but of course I would spend less than more. That's not the end of story... recently I just tried an 8 string Jackson JS32-8Q and omg, open chords and that 8th string... I just can't forget that sound... so many possibilities, but I'm not sure should I but that 7 string Sterling or an 8 string shovel like Ibanez TAM10. On 6 string I'm using Drop C tuning, for 7 I would use Drop G and for 8 string something hybrid.

Long story in short, should I buy a 7 string and with Drop G I'm gonna be happy or should I buy an 8 string (and consider the fact that it's the future of metal)? I'm open for any brands/types of guitar. Thanks!
First. There's no future for metal. Whatever is *going* to happen is here now. 
If you're thinking that there's an 8 string in your future, buy it now. There's no point in considering a 7 string a "training wheels" ERG if you're pretty sure you're going to be moving on at some later date. 

And finally, if you're going to dip your toe into this, you should probably 1. Consider a headless (see Strandberg and Kiesel for starters and 2. Consider a multiscale (fan fret). 

If you're really talking "future" (now) of metal, you'd have been there already. 

If you're in the US, multiscale and 8-strings (and 9-string and 10-string, for that matter -- how far back does metal have to regress to get back from THAT future?) are inexpensive and good quality at Rondo Music dot com. Look for the Agiles. 
jwauer I think the amount of strings depends on what kind of music you play. I'm a metal guy too, also have a 6-string in drop C. But I went with a 7 string (Strandberg Boden OS7) because I didn't really listen to bands that played on anything more than a 6 or 7 (minus After the Burial, The Fine Constant, etc.), and the bands I listen to, I'm not that good where I'll be tapping/sweeping the majority of the song (but I'll get there eventually). I listen to a lot of deathcore/tech-death/melo-death/metalcore, so the 7 string gives me a lot of flexibility (with mine set in AEADGBE, I can play 7 string songs, as well as 6 string (both drop and standard tuning with a bit of software pitch shifting). 

I think the amount of strings is up to you. What kind of music/bands do you listen to? What kind of songs do you play? If its going to be mainly 6 or 7 string, then that 8th might be getting in the way because you have to worry about muting it all the time. (This is just my opinion)
Gear:
- ESP LTD MH-50
- Strandberg OS 7
- A cheap fender strat knock-off not worth naming
- Garageband
- Boss GT-1
- Potato
If you like the sound of the 8 string, go for it. And definitely check out Agile Pros over at Rondo and save big bucks. 
I'm sort of in the same boat as you, but I've realized a 7 and an 8 are two very different beasts, yes you can play songs written for 7 strings on an 8 but there's still things you can't play on an 8 like Drop F.. If you end up liking extra strings then your best bet would be to own a 7 and an 8 at some point, the problem is deciding what to get first. For me an 8 makes more sense as there's more possibilities with it, but in the end you just have to work out what is going to be more useful for you, and what you will be playing on it.

How did you find the string tension on the JS32-8Q? it's only a 26.5" but did the strings feel good or a little loose?
Thanks for the reply - I think I'm gonna wait a few weeks/months and try different instruments, it's not an urgent issue. Unfortunately I'm in Europe, currently I'm in love with Strandbergs so perhaps that's a reasonable choice here. But... within 2 weeks I'm relocation to Malaysia for 3 months - I'm not really familiar with guitar business there, but maybe I should check what are my options there?
GuitarHawk99 A little loose, but I loved it - for drop C on my 6 string I'm using 49 on the low C string and I really like it
Quote by jwauer
Thanks for the reply - I think I'm gonna wait a few weeks/months and try different instruments, it's not an urgent issue. Unfortunately I'm in Europe, currently I'm in love with Strandbergs so perhaps that's a reasonable choice here. But... within 2 weeks I'm relocation to Malaysia for 3 months - I'm not really familiar with guitar business there, but maybe I should check what are my options there?

you better buy some strand bergs before you go.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
dspellman people keep saying there is no future for metal yet decent metal bands keep popping up out of nowhere. sure, it might take them few years to be noticed and release "their best" album but if you told me the genre was dying I'd have to disagree. 
Last edited by ImNeverSalty at May 25, 2017,
Quote by ImNeverSalty
dspellman people keep saying there is no future for metal yet decent metal bands keep popping up out of nowhere. sure, it might take them few years to be noticed and release "their best" album but if you told me the genre was dying I'd have to disagree. 

You misinterpreted my comment. 7-strings aren't the future of metal; they're already well into use. Ditto 8, 9, 10 string guitars.

I didn't say the genre was dying, but upon reflection, I'd have to say that the "future" of metal is about the same as that of "classic rock." There are "decent" classic rock (and bands of other genres) bands popping up out of nowhere as well. While there are certainly a lot of fragments claiming to be "something or other" metal, I think you'd have to be narrowly and hopefully focused to identify growth or any kind of movement at all rather than meandering puddling. At the moment it's both an entry-level pursuit of newbs and a sort of dead end all at once.

I think that manufacturers see metal as a kind of straw to be grasped to pull themselves out of the "yet another strat/LP/tele/SG", but they're actually doing themselves in by producing and promoting Yet Another Matte Black ERG Guitar in nearly every introduction of newness. There's only so far down you can tune until everything sounds like a cow fart, and I think every automotive fixit show on television has a sound track of power chords behind visuals of removing and replacing a shock absorber. It's just gotten...well...boring.

That's just a personal opinion, of course, and not intended to hijack the thread.
Quote by ImNeverSalty

No dspellman just meant that the future of metal is right now. Although true 12 strings? Why not.
Buy a 7 (or 8), save then buy the other?
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by AcousticMirror
you better buy some strand bergs before you go.

Agreed, but if he's going off to Malaysia, how's he going to transport the strandy? I have heard of nightmare stories about airplane ppl just throwing luggage into the plane's luggage holding place because "if it isn't a violin-sized instrument, it goes with the luggage"

Also another problem: The new 2017 models are coming in the summer, but may take a few months. Does he want to wait a few months and pay for the new models or try to grab a clearance model from the specials shop (less color/wood/pickup options). 
Gear:
- ESP LTD MH-50
- Strandberg OS 7
- A cheap fender strat knock-off not worth naming
- Garageband
- Boss GT-1
- Potato
Quote by Parac
Agreed, but if he's going off to Malaysia, how's he going to transport the strandy? I have heard of nightmare stories about airplane ppl just throwing luggage into the plane's luggage holding place because "if it isn't a violin-sized instrument, it goes with the luggage"

Also another problem: The new 2017 models are coming in the summer, but may take a few months. Does he want to wait a few months and pay for the new models or try to grab a clearance model from the specials shop (less color/wood/pickup options). 

Well international flights are pretty good about letting you carry on a guitar. I've traveled with les plain type cases and full sized fender type hard casss

Also he's in Europe some stores still have them in stock and finding one used there should be easier.
I think I'm gonna wait - as it's not clear to me what to choose, I think I have to review, play and try different models until I find 'The One'. Although, thanks for the replies - First of all, I'm looking around Malaysia : )