I have several lunchbox tube amps (Orange, Marshall). None of them have fx loops or USB out or built in reverb. I noticed the Peavey 6505 mini head has all of those and I am seriously considering one. However the problem I have is that I have read stories about the unit overheating. Apparently the original design over-insulated some parts and some people have modded it with a fan (and some with no success here either) and others sold it on before they could melt it? 

The claim is that after 30 min the amp is so hot that the sound begins to change slightly and then after 2 hours is unplayable because its so hot. I'd love to get my guitar shop to plug one in and play it for 2 hours to see, but that's not so feasible at the moment.

Anyway for owners of this mini head. What's the story? Is it happening to all the units? Or is it like a lottery?

Any advice is welcome. 
Dean MAB1. Epiphone Annihilation V. EVH 5150III. Orange PPC112. Earthquaker devices - The Warden, Arrows, Acapulco Gold, Levitation, Night Wire. TS9, DD3, GE7, NS2, LS2, Polytune mini, Small Stone. SM57. Focusrite. LINUX!
For a metal tone, why not buy the EVH LBX instead? They sound so much better.

They also have no reliability issues as far as I know, and they come with a good effects loop.

They don't have the USB out, but in my experience that's no big loss. The MSDI out on my 6505 combo is useless, sounds like total shit. Good chance the USB is the same deal. It doesn't have a built-in reverb either, but a reverb pedal like a TC HOF (or even the mini HOF) in the effects loop is likely to sound better anyway. And they're cheap.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
T00DEEPBLUE If the USB out is crap, then I would probably get the 5150 instead and pay for some reverb pedal in the loop. 

I see there is an LBXII. Would you go with that one if you had the option today?
Dean MAB1. Epiphone Annihilation V. EVH 5150III. Orange PPC112. Earthquaker devices - The Warden, Arrows, Acapulco Gold, Levitation, Night Wire. TS9, DD3, GE7, NS2, LS2, Polytune mini, Small Stone. SM57. Focusrite. LINUX!
Quote by Deermonic
T00DEEPBLUE If the USB out is crap, then I would probably get the 5150 instead and pay for some reverb pedal in the loop. 

I see there is an LBXII. Would you go with that one if you had the option today?

I'd get the LBXII simply because it's more versatile than the original LBX.

Does it have to be a micro head though? Can you get something that has more power?

What amps are available in your local used market?
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I'd get the LBXII simply because it's more versatile than the original LBX.

Does it have to be a micro head though? Can you get something that has more power?

What amps are available in your local used market?

Not much worth talking about because anything good gets snapped up fast. I would probably pay for something new. I have been using lunchbox amps because I can at least crank them in the room I play in if I go into half-mode like 7W. I have played 15W too but can't crank it so much so not enough power tube saturation to get that metal growl I like. I had a 150W and had to sell it because it was unusable in my situation. 

Like isn't it better to be able to push power tubes of a lower wattage amp and than not being able to use them much on a higher wattage amp?

I wasn't impressed by the USB out recordings on YouTube. I think you can do better with a mic and cab. So that is why I am thinking of the LBXII because I have a lot of pedals and would like clean. Seems to take pedals well.
Deermonic

Sigh. Marketing wank seems to be misleading the masses again.

All the great modern metal tones you hear are all done with preamp distortion, not power amp distortion. Power saturation actually has a lot of sag in the low end, which is precisely what you don't want when you're looking for a tight metal tone. IMO power valve saturation is very difficult to get a hold of at sensible volumes, if not impossible, and when you do get it, it's totally overrated for metal tones.

Second, smaller amps do not perform better than bigger amps at lower volumes. That is a myth. Please read:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/the_guide_to/killing_the_myths_of_low_volume_amp_performance.html

In reality, smaller amps perform way more poorly at higher gig volumes. As they tend to run out of power to reproduce low end, which causes them to sound very honky and brittle at higher volumes. More powerful amps are able to take higher volumes better as they have enough power to still reproduce low end at said higher volumes.

It is true that less power means less headroom, and less headroom means that the amp is going to clip into overdrive a lot more readily. But like I've already said, in the context of power valve saturation, it might not necessarily sound good for the sort of tones you seem to be looking for. You're going to begin run out of power to reproduce enough low end before the power valves actually begin to break up. So even if you do get them to break up, the result is still going to sound like ass.

Unless you just so happen to really love the tone of one particular micro amp, (not that there's anything wrong with that, I think the EVH LBX amps sound pretty awesome) the reasons to get a micro head are:

. Their greatly reduced price compared to their big boy equivalents
. Portability
. Lack of space for a bigger amp

Better low volume performance doesn't appear in that list and it never will do.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Given used prices there's not really that much reason get the lbx over a used 50 watt in terms of tone.

But the full size head is heavy.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
T00DEEPBLUE Okay I read the link. I was following Sun-T and JCM800 type sounds and that is why I am looking to cranked amps. Like it was recommended I get a 50W JCM800 as I could crank it at lower wattages, so it was something I was considering in the long run. However I don't really have the space for a big head right now and like I said, I owned a 150 amp before it's just too loud to do what I need. I have considered getting an attentuator for a bigger amp but I am not sure I want to go down the bigger amp route again just yet. So no big ticket amps for me right now.

What I am doing is using the clean channel on a Marshall 15W DSL with a pre-amp booster and power-amp distortion pedal. So I can toggle between using either the dirt on the DSL, the clean, or clean with boosted and dirt. My setup is close to what a Sun-T sounds like cranked. At least as close as I can get with this amp and pedals.

The 5150 mini's clean channel and pedal taking is compelling as I have pedals. My DSL doesn't have an fx loop so the loop in the 5150 is certainly appealing.

The 6505+ is a slightly different tone and the reverb feature and USB out caught my attention, but the USB recordings on YouTube aren't anything to write home about. I think my SM57 and PPC112 sound better. I would probably consider a reverb pedal in addition to the 5150.

Anyway any thoughts are appreciated and I enjoyed the link.
Last edited by Deermonic at May 23, 2017,
FWIW I picked up a 6505mh this past weekend and love it. I've played it for over 2 hrs straight and have not had any overheating issues yet. I will say though that it does get pretty warm. I'll probably end up removing the front panel if I can find a way to attach the badges back on the inside of the grill. I have not had it turned up very loud because I live in an apartment but if it's not loud enough to gig with i can always slave it into my valve King.. Sounds way better than my vk212. So far I'm happy with my $350.00 purchase.
Last edited by randefahey at May 23, 2017,
I also own the 6505mh I did remove the wood behind the metal grate but not for overheating issues just for aesthetic reasons and I've played mine for 4-5 hour intervals with no issues and a lot of issues I've seen spoken of is happening when using the power attenuation which is pointless imo.
Mesa Boogie Single Rectoverb 50 series 2 combo
Randall RM100
Peavey 5150 4x12
Peavey XXX 2x12 combo
Pedals
randefahey Not right on hand but if you look around online you will see some done.
Mesa Boogie Single Rectoverb 50 series 2 combo
Randall RM100
Peavey 5150 4x12
Peavey XXX 2x12 combo
Pedals
I removed the front cover from mine today and played it for a couple hours. It made a huge difference in cooling the amp. The head is not nearly as warm as it has usually been. Plus it looks pretty sweet too. I think I might take the Peavey badge off too and just leave the 6505mh badge as it looks a little odd mounted to the front.
I removed the front cover from mine today and played it for a couple hours. It made a huge difference in cooling the amp. The head is not nearly as warm as it has usually been. Plus it looks pretty sweet too. I think I might take the Peavey badge off too and just leave the 6505mh badge as it looks a little odd mounted to the front.
I decided not to get a lunchbox amp. 
I have two already and a third didn't really make sense because I really should try and get something better.
So listening and asking around and I am now the proud owner of a EVH 5150III 50W Ivory white head.

I'm glad I made this choice.