Hello everyone ! 

I've decided to create this thread because i'm writing some slamming death metal stuff but all the stuff that I write sounds too much basic to me.. Are there some " classic " kind of riffs ? I tried some powerchords but it doesn't sound right in my opinion.. Well I hope someone will be able to help me ! 

Thanks for reading ! 

Harmonic minor scales, diminished and augmented scales and chords. Throw some accidentals and chromatic riffing in there as well. 
Tune to drop whatever and just chug random power chords on the low strings... just not too fast though. Basically the goal is to take brutal death metal and simplify it by taking out any complexities, nuances, or variety.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
While Kristens style of presentation is as unique as always, I think there's some truth to what she's saying. I listen to death metal but not slam in particular, at least I'm not aware of any of my favorite DM bands being slam, but  as far as I know slam is supposed to be more mid-tempo, rather than blazing fast, it focuses more on rhythm and "drive" than melodies and atmosphere, and slam incorporates what are known as "slam riffs". While the definition is still kind of muddy to me, I believe the use of chromatics and low-string chugs is common. So, to write a slam riff, come up with some mid-tempo death metal drums and play some low, palm muted chromatic lines.

All of this info was gathered from 5 minutes of googling so take from that what you will.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Play chugging power chords that don't blend musically. Say frets 0 1 2 3 4. Maybe make up a random pattern. Tons of pinch harmonics. No melody. Sometimes silence is the loudest part. Have some relatively spaced notes.

Listen and emulate these guys.

Here is an example of some decent, inspiring, slam metal that isn't just the same riff over and over. This band also puts on a ridiculously good live show. 
[url="(Invalid video video code)]
The secret to slam death is to take Pierced From Within and take out all the interesting parts.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by Liaztraht
Play chugging power chords that don't blend musically. Say frets 0 1 2 3 4. Maybe make up a random pattern. Tons of pinch harmonics. No melody. Sometimes silence is the loudest part. Have some relatively spaced notes.

Listen and emulate these guys.

What brand of cardboard box should I use to get that guy's snare tone?
cdgraves I prefer the USPS flat rate boxes. Crisp and takes a beating well! If on a budget, the stuff you find in the recycle bin behind the dollar tree works just as well.
Guys, chill with ragging on the dude's musical taste, all right?  If all you're going to do is call the music this person listens to any number of bad things then don't.  This isn't what the forum's about, and by saying all this you're just giving this person the impression that they don't belong here.

Which they do, because anyone who wants to learn belongs here.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Zaphod_Beeblebr I was being honest. I greatly enjoy the example I posted, and felt as though it would help. Though I should have refrained responding to the jokes, and for that, I apologize.
Liaztraht That's all right then, the way you phrased it felt like you were using "non-technical" in a pejorative sense.  No worries

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Zaphod_Beeblebr slam it's self is something simple, yet hard to master. I used to make jokes about how brutal death metal (like Defeated Sanity) was just "technical slam", but in reality slam is just taking the slower rhythmic parts used in that style, somewhat similar to a breakdown, taking that slam and just going into riff after riff, slam after slam.

At least that's what I meant with my DS reference earlier. Just need crushing riffs that don't fit any normal sense of musicality.

For example on the bottom 2 strings in any drop tuning start with something like this (all palm muted)

----------------------------
1--2--1--0--1-2-1--0
1--2--1--0--1-2-1--0

(Hopefully that formatted right. Posting from my phone)

Just vary the pattern, change where any rests are.

Think of it like a simple breakdown pattern, but doing more than just chugging one note.
Last edited by Liaztraht at May 30, 2017,
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Guys, chill with ragging on the dude's musical taste, all right?  If all you're going to do is call the music this person listens to any number of bad things then don't.  This isn't what the forum's about, and by saying all this you're just giving this person the impression that they don't belong here.

Which they do, because anyone who wants to learn belongs here.

UG community SLAMS slam death metal.

I'm sorry.

But yeah, I know virtually nothing of this style in particular, maybe I'll check the examples in this thread out.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Threw together some quick examples. Its a bit tough to do, but I got some pinches on two strings at once a couple times, its one of my favorite things to do in slam.

Used only 0, 1, 2, 3, and 4 on the fret board, and only the E and A strings. Only tuned in drop D right now.

Hopefully that will help.

Not to sound like I'm ragging on your tastes since I used to listen to a bit of slam myself, but it's one of those genres that's you can't really screw up if you know the basics of the genre. Just play super chunky powerchords (or b5 powerchords for more dissonance), use a drop tuning (the lower the better), and just play them chromatically. Don't think about scales or anything, most riffs in slam, like Liaztraht has demonstrated, are found from the 5th fret and below. You're not really trying to create "riffs" as much as you're trying to create certain sounds and textures. The "sound" of slam is pummeling and unrelenting, so constant 8th notes for the breakdowns with powerchords, hoping around frets 4, 3, 2, 1 and open, and when you want to ramp up the intensity write some chromatic, 16th note line a little higher up, or alternatively write some black metal inspired tremolo lines; use the harmonic minor scale (double harmonic minor works great too) and write either in half notes or whole notes, then play that passage tremolo. 

A lot of it comes from the instrumentation, particularly the drums, so it might not sound as br00tal as you want while writing, but it's one of those things that's hard to tell until you start to flesh it out with a band.
Quote by Fat Lard
post of the year, thank you