I own an Ibanez GRG150DX and am not really liking the sound of it anymore.  As my first guitar, it has stock inifinity humbucker pickups that are just stale and boring which dont really give the sound I am looking for.  At the moment I play rock/metal but I want to move to blues/rock so I am looking for a pup with good cleans but can handle distortion as well.  I am swapping out both the neck and bridge and am taking out the middle single coil as it just gets in the way of my picking.  Any ideas on what pups I should get? Or should I just save my money and buy a new guitar?
there will be a pit meme post soon
WHAT A
HORRIBLE
NIGHT TO
HAVE A
CURSE.
Quote by ElMaco
there will be a pit meme post soon

Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

id recommend bareknuckle pickups, you usually see metal guys play em but theyre powerful and they fuckin sing

if the middle pickup gets in the way of your picking you should get better at picking

and then swap it out for a lipstick or something weird

maybe a hot-ass lace sensor
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
If you like the guitar itself upgrade the pickups. Stock pickups usually aren't that great unless you're getting a higher end guitar, so I'd probably end up changing them either way.
Quote by Primus2112
id recommend bareknuckle pickups, you usually see metal guys play em but theyre powerful and they fuckin sing

if the middle pickup gets in the way of your picking you should get better at picking

and then swap it out for a lipstick or something weird

maybe a hot-ass lace sensor

Don't listen to this goon. Don't you dare buy nice pickups and put them in a GRG. That's silly af. Save your money and get a good mid-grade guitar.
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by StewieSwan
Don't listen to this goon. Don't you dare buy nice pickups and put them in a GRG. That's silly af. Save your money and get a good mid-grade guitar.

cheapo guitars can be best guitars sometimes stewman

honestly tho OP hes right, youll get more out of a new guitar instead of the pickups
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
Yea, the "you need a new amp" joke is pretty true a lot of the time. The amp has way more impact on the sound than the pickups.
If your rig is a GRG through a 20W Mustang then changing the pickups will make almost literally no difference. Buy a new amp before upgrading the guitar. If you get a decent rig and you want that extra 5% in a particular tonal direction, then look at pickups.
Quote by BlueStrat99
Fender Mustang 20W

Quote by Random3
If your rig is a GRG through a 20W Mustang then changing the pickups will make almost literally no difference. Buy a new amp before upgrading the guitar. If you get a decent rig and you want that extra 5% in a particular tonal direction, then look at pickups.

This. The guitar is primarily about looks, how it feels to play, and the ability to set it up properly. The electronics make such a small impact on tone compared to the amp that they should only be messed with for smaller changes when your sound is already almost there. Unless the guitar plays like shit and falls out of tune every five minutes focus on a decent amp first.
What is your intent with playing, TS? There's no need for a great amp if you just play in your bedroom and don't record music. 
What you need is a new map.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
If the Mustang sounds good enough for you for now you might want to get a good midgrade guitar buy used if possible and get more guitar for less money, just don't get your hopes up that your tone will improve much but at least you will have a better playing guitar.

I'm going to have to agree with StewieSwan here do not put expensive pups in a GRG and if you do pull them out and put them in the new guitar that you will eventually buy.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Quote by 33db
BlueStrat99
Do you like playing it? Does it feel right? Then PUPs.

no

if the guitar is fine, get an amp. if the guitar is not fine get a guitar. do NOT buy pickups to put in a GRG through a fender mustang. it's such a waste of money
Quote by StewieSwan
no

if the guitar is fine, get an amp. if the guitar is not fine get a guitar. do NOT buy pickups to put in a GRG through a fender mustang. it's such a waste of money

Haha didn't see the Mustang post, unfortunately Stewie is correct that amp is garbage, now I'm sure he will be insufferable the rest of the day.
Quote by 33db
Haha didn't see the Mustang post, unfortunately Stewie is correct that amp is garbage, now I'm sure he will be insufferable the rest of the day.

At least its just a day vs you being insufferable 24/7
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by 33db

toldja so
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
At least its just a day vs you being insufferable 24/7

Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I don't really like the stock pickups that come with many Ibanez guitars. They just don't sound right for me. I'm digging the EMG 57/66 set I have at the moment as well as Seymour Duncan Jazz SH-2N/SH-4 set. Really though, what amp are you using?
Well at home I have a  Peavey bandit 112, at the studio I have a couple laney heads as well as a marshall jcm 2000 head that powers a marshall 1960 half stack cabinet. But you don't have to go all out at first

Moar watts!!

Also are you able to turn the volume up when you jam? no matter the watts an amp won't sound right until you get her turned up.
I should save this as a text file and just cut and paste it into every thread like this. 

1. It depends on what sound you're looking for. 

2. It depends on your budget. 

3. Your entire rig, guitar, pickups, cables, strings, boxes, amp, etc., are all parts of a total system. Every change to any part of the system affects the whole system. Go back to questions 1 and 2, then consider where your entire system needs to be improved.