Avocado on toast and vacations to Europe: the real reasons millennials cant afford homes

Page 1 of 3
It sucks. I totally had $20,000 lying around for a down payment on a house, but I spent it all on avocado toast.
Death to Ovation haters!
Yeah but it echos the sentiments a lot of older people have. The reason why young people are struggling is because they're lazy, not because of a difficult economic climate
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
Quote by Pastafarian96
This is based on something said on 60 minutes

This has about as much validity as a 34A bra has as a yoghurt carrying container

You're correct, but it still needs to be debunked, because lots of people think this way.
Death to Ovation haters!
Quote by Pastafarian96

Because if I could I would murder it's producers in their sleep

Make them watch 60 Minutes and you're halfway there
I've lost count of how many times I've blown all my money vacationing in Europe.
I don't buy avocado or coffee and I can't afford a house  
I have nothing important to say
This bs managed to reach outside aus? interesting.
Quote by Mr E Meat
this is your brain

this is your brain on RT

Quote by Standard_A440
Given that you reside in the shade of the natural light of reason, I will defer doing your homework to you.
>tfw don't eat avocado toast
>tfw make my own coffee at home or have the free stuff at work
>tfw I own a home

I guess he's right!
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy
Quote by The_Blode
^ I'm sorry your highness I forgot that I'm subhuman. . .

Quote by ErikLensherr
Normani
Normani
Normies
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Quote by Gatecrasher53

I heard this through the meme grapevine
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Quote by Bladez22
I heard this through the meme grapevine

lol i spose once it hits the internet all bets are off.
Quote by Mr E Meat
this is your brain

this is your brain on RT

Quote by Standard_A440
Given that you reside in the shade of the natural light of reason, I will defer doing your homework to you.
i have been eating avocados my entire life

you all need to learn how to millennial

Quote by Gatecrasher53

Talking shit about "millennials" is a surefire way to an audience, especially an American audience. Personally, I have a policy against reading or even clicking on any disparaging thinkpiece with "millennials"in the title.
Death to Ovation haters!
Quote by PatchworkMan
Talking shit about "millennials" is a surefire way to an audience, especially an American audience. Personally, I have a policy against reading or even clicking on any disparaging thinkpiece with "millennials"in the title.

Download this https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/millennials-to-snake-peop/jhkibealmjkbkafogihpeidfcgnigmlf
Quote by Mr E Meat
this is your brain

this is your brain on RT

Quote by Standard_A440
The problem is old people not being stacked like cordwood in shipping containers, as they should be, until death, and staying in homes, bottlenecking the market.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by slapsymcdougal
The problem is old people not being stacked like cordwood in shipping containers, as they should be, until death, and staying in homes, bottlenecking the market.

Governments do keep bumping the retirement age up and up tho tbf
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Quote by Bladez22
Governments do keep bumping the retirement age up and up tho tbf

Which places a bottleneck on the employment market, too.

Last time I went anywhere for fast food, the number of coffin-dodgers working there was massive.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Avocados are part of my culture and the writer of this article can eat shit.

Quote by Pastafarian96
I an evety characyer in this story
Reminds me of what my friend's Dad lectured us about when I was young, he called it the Ravioli Theory, he told us we wouldn't mget anywhere if we kept eating Porterhouse steaks an not saving our money that we need to be eating raviolis until we get established and stop being frivoulous with our money.  

We were working minimum wage jobs just out of high school and iin reality we were spending all of our money on weed and music gear and the porterhouse steaks we were grilling out had come out of his Dad's refrigerator.  

I'm glad I was not there when his Dad realised we were grilling out steaks that he had paid for.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at May 24, 2017,
Every generation of young people has done exactly this, spend their money rather than save it, they grow out of this behavior after having kids.
This is the sort of judgey shit you get from depression era folks, because they had no choice but to save.
Nothing new here, nothing to see here, and I think I'm going to go have some avocado on toast because they are in season.

Stop reading/watching CNBC.
Last edited by 33db at May 24, 2017,
It sucks. I totally had $20,000 lying around for a down payment on a house, but I spent it all on extra guacamole at chipotle
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Quote by k.lainad
It sucks. I totally had $20,000 lying around for a down payment on a house, but I spent it all on extra guacamole at chipotle

Yeah now how are you going to pay for the hospital bill because you eat Chipolte food...
Quote by Bladez22
Yeah but it echos the sentiments a lot of older people have. The reason why young people are struggling is because they're lazy, not because of a difficult economic climate

People have called me lazy because I don't have a job. How on Earth would they know if I'm lazy? It's not like anyone has actually given me any work to get done.
It didn't take long to realise
The safest place was not her arms, but her eyes
Where she can't see you
For her gaze, it blisters;
Grey skin to cinders
I wonder where all these millenials learned their frivulous spending habits...
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by 剣 斧 血
People have called me lazy because I don't have a job. How on Earth would they know if I'm lazy? It's not like anyone has actually given me any work to get done.
I know you're lazy because you think people are just going to give you something.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
I know you're lazy because you think people are just going to give you something.

absolutely nanjing 
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by dementiacaptain
I wonder where all these millenials learned their frivulous spending habits...

From their Gen X parents.
Quote by Xiaoxi

Yeah it's not like I've been to uni, been volunteering, been doing further courses on general job relevant skills, checking job postings everyday, writing individual cover letters for each job I've applied to, showed up reasonably early to all my interviews as presentably as possible, been learning to drive or whatever.

I just expect people to go "hurr durr u no work, here work now"  
Where she can't see you
Grey skin to cinders
Quote by 33db
From their Gen X parents.

See, this is why we can't have nice things man. I make a pretty overt post to begin with, and then you just slam it right over the top.

It's like I was throwing down the good dick and you pull me out of the broad just to bust all over her. Come on man, if you want in you got to leave it in decent shape for the next guy, no one wants it now that your baby-gravy is everywhere.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by dementiacaptain
See, this is why we can't have nice things man. I make a pretty overt post to begin with, and then you just slam it right over the top.

It's like I was throwing down the good dick and you pull me out of the broad just to bust all over her. Come on man, if you want in you got to leave it in decent shape for the next guy, no one wants it now that your baby-gravy is everywhere.

You could do the same and blame Adam and Eve.
Quote by 剣 斧 血
Yeah it's not like I've been to uni
so?
been volunteering
How have you translated this into a valuable skillset or accomplishment that would compel someone to hire you?
been doing further courses on general job relevant skills
What do you have to show for it?
checking job postings everyday
Job postings are a waste of time. You're not going to the right sources.
writing individual cover letters for each job I've applied to
No use if they're not making it to someone who matters.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
lmao i liked the wrong post

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
so?
How have you translated this into a valuable skillset or accomplishment that would compel someone to hire you?
What do you have to show for it?
Job postings are a waste of time. You're not going to the right sources.
No use if they're not making it to someone who matters.

re uni: I studied physics because my initial desired career path required it. However, I am also looking at wide range of other options to improve my prospects.

re volunteering/skill set: I've added what I've learnt to my CV and try to highlight the parts relevant to the job description for the position I've applied for in my cover letters/phone calls/interviews.

re further courses and skills: The main focus on my improvement for me is always my verbal communication since interviews (in person, by phone, by skype) seem to be my biggest issues. However, more specifically I've been able to build on basic business admin, gotten a better idea of customer service (the dwp sent me on a course for that one) and have been developing my coding/data analysis skills. This also allows me to say that I've not been idle and have been using some of my knowledge recently as opposed to when I was at uni.

re job postings: I also contact companies I'd like to work for directly and have gotten interviews but as I said before that's where I seem to fall down. I've also tried nepotism to no avail.

re cover letters: See above.

I know I have things I need to improve but it's not wrong of me to feel disheartened by the situation. 

But back to the point of my original post, even if you think my effort is being put in the wrong direction it's still effort and still irritating to be called lazy simply for lack of success. It also irked me that you assumed I thought someone would just give me a job, that's never been the case.
Where she can't see you
Grey skin to cinders
Last edited by 剣 斧 血 at May 24, 2017,
It would be funny to watch the increasingly ridiculous explanations of why an entire generation is poor (rap music, smart phones, avocados, etc.) if the implications of it weren't horrifying.

Baby boomers are starting to die. In 10-20 years, millennials are going to be the dominant consumer demographic, and unless something changes before then, they're not going to be able to afford to sustain the economy.

We could, you know, do something about this, but no one wants to. We'd rather shake our fists and grumble about bootstraps and tell bullshit stories about avocados while the world burns.
Death to Ovation haters!
It's the perfect recipe for a Marxist revolution.
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy
Quote by The_Blode
^ I'm sorry your highness I forgot that I'm subhuman. . .

Quote by ErikLensherr
Normani
Normani
Normies
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Quote by zgr0826
It's the perfect recipe for a Marxist revolution.

I'm hoping we don't get to that point. Those don't have a great record of working out all that well.
Death to Ovation haters!
Page 1 of 3