Page 1 of 4
Bladez told me to make a thread about it so I did lmao
Probably been done before but #NoLookingBackCauseMyRearViewMirrorIsBroken

copypaste

I'm on the fence with self driving cars because on one hand, I think it was like 90% of car accidents are human error, so self driving would minimize that, but on the other there's still times when human input is required, and I feel that if we become too reliant on self driving, then we slowly unlearn the habit of driving as we evolve, so the risk taken when we do need that input is even higher. But perhaps at this rate, we should be facing the first hurdle before thinking that far ahead.

Edit: it was 94%

Also here's a video that I agree with and stuff

Quote by snipelfritz
You lost me at "Lubricate."

I'm raw, like nature. Nature boy. Big jungle leaves are my cum rags.

Sometimes I fuck a bamboo shoot.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Last edited by Joshua Garcia at May 24, 2017,
I don't think it will work properly until they replace human drivers completely. If you have, say, 50% of cars that are automated, then that means 50% of the other cars on the road have the potential to crash into you. If we assume that self-driving cars are flawless, that becomes irrelevant as soon as a car driven by a human crashes into them.
Quote by Random3
I don't think it will work properly until they replace human drivers completely. If you have, say, 50% of cars that are automated, then that means 50% of the other cars on the road have the potential to crash into you. If we assume that self-driving cars are flawless, that becomes irrelevant as soon as a car driven by a human crashes into them.
But that's why it's important that it becomes a standard. So that it becomes affordable enough so that everyone has one. Though I guess there will always be people who are too clingy or concerned to make that switch, so aiming anywhere above that 50% would be impossible unless provided or forced, which is even more unlikely.
Quote by snipelfritz
You lost me at "Lubricate."

I'm raw, like nature. Nature boy. Big jungle leaves are my cum rags.

Sometimes I fuck a bamboo shoot.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Quote by Mr E Meat
this is your brain

this is your brain on RT

Quote by Standard_A440
Given that you reside in the shade of the natural light of reason, I will defer doing your homework to you.
Total Recall (1990)
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Riding horses has fallen out of common knowledge, times change and self driving cars cannot get here fast enough
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
Quote by Joshua Garcia
But that's why it's important that it becomes a standard. So that it becomes affordable enough so that everyone has one. Though I guess there will always be people who are too clingy or concerned to make that switch, so aiming anywhere above that 50% would be impossible unless provided or forced, which is even more unlikely.

You wouldn't need to own one, self driving ubers/taxis yo
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
If the autocar doesn't have a tokyo drift mode, or dickhead bimmer mode I'll pass.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
It's cool and all, but I doubt it'll really catch on. Especially in America. Especially with conservatives.
Check out my band Disturbed
Those shitheads in the c ia having more ability to pick people off undetected is a small price to pay I guess for boosting productivity and making meatcucks obsolete

Last edited by Fat Lard at May 24, 2017,
I'm all for self driving cars.  I do agree that it would be better if everyone had one though to eliminate idiots on the road.  Save the manual driving for race tracks.  
imagine a world without traffic and just being able to sleep or read in your car as you travel

altho likely there would still be random events from stuff like rain or oil on road, stay deers, cyclists and pedestrians etc.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Driving does not suck, but I still think self-driving cars are a necessity.

Will miss roadtrips, driving with a banging song on, late night reflective drives etc.
Quote by Mr E Meat
this is your brain

this is your brain on RT

Quote by Standard_A440
Given that you reside in the shade of the natural light of reason, I will defer doing your homework to you.
Quote by Gatecrasher53
Driving does not suck, but I still think self-driving cars are a necessity.

Will miss roadtrips, driving with a banging song on, late night reflective drives etc.

You can still do that right you just won't have to pay attention? It would be much more fun

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Quote by EndTheRapture51
You can still do that right you just won't have to pay attention? It would be much more fun

i'm probably just being unnecessarily sentimental, but having the car do the driving feels like it takes away half the fun. Like being on a bus. Obviously the bus does not drive itself, bus drivers are people too but u get what i mean hopefully.

Although, if my car had an AI, like a starship, then I might be on-board. 
Quote by Mr E Meat
this is your brain

this is your brain on RT

Quote by Standard_A440
Last edited by Gatecrasher53 at May 24, 2017,
Quote by Gatecrasher53
i'm probably just being unnecessarily sentimental, but having the car do the driving feels like it takes away half the fun. Like being on a bus. Obviously the bus does not drive itself, bus drivers are people too but u get what i mean hopefully.

People still ride horses for fun, and racetracks will still exist
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
I enjoy driving sometimes. Most of the time it's just boring. And all of the time I see dumb drivers doing dumb shit.

As a motorcyclist I have a hard time trusting people with 2 tons of metal at highway speeds.
Intellectually I know it would be for the greater good. Virtually no accidents or traffic. Many people don't even deserve to drive anyway.

But emotionally, I cannot accept it. Driving my soon to be 20 year old Miata with a stick is an irreplaceable daily joy. So is hearing the unfiltered exhaust note out of the BMW straight 6. People hate driving until they drive a good car that reveals a kind of mechanical, tactile engagement you can't get doing anything else.

There is also potentially huge negative consequence to the economy when self driving cars eliminate car ownership. So many parts of the economy are hooked on the auto sector.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
While it will surely put an end to the drinking/texting while driving problem it won't take long for cyber criminals to start hacking into themand wreaking havoc they are already hacking into the computer systems of "smart" cars.

Anyway I enjoy driving especially on road trips while on vacation.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at May 24, 2017,
it's a good start but I think we should be focusing on flying cars as soon as possible
WHAT A
HORRIBLE
NIGHT TO
HAVE A
CURSE.
It's likely a nessesity and will definitely reduce traffic and driving related deaths. So yea it's a good thing

I do love driving though. Guess we'll still have tracks but it's not the same. I love a Sunday afternoon cruise
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by Gatecrasher53

Although, if my car had an AI, like a starship, then I might be on-board. 

Would the AI have a sexy voice?
Quote by ElMaco
it's a good start but I think we should be focusing on flying cars as soon as possible

Yes because the same assholes on the road should be flying over us as well....
Quote by Joshua Garcia
I feel that if we become too reliant on self driving, then we slowly unlearn the habit of driving as we evolve

What?

Driving is a skill you learn, not a pre-established ability that you grow in to like being able to walk. If you stop teaching people a skill until no one alive has any memory of how to do it that wouldn't make it impossible to figure it all out again. It would take time but they'd manage. 

As for how I feel about self-driving cars, I think it would make driving easier for anyone who still had to drive a manual (can't afford a self-drive) because the people in self-drives wouldn't be able to be arseholes, essentially. It would probably irritate a lot of people because they'd naturally be programmed to obey proper road speed, car separation distance and a number of other things people do wrong but think is normal. So not only would it drive in a potentially different way to them it would also highlight to them just how bad at driving they actually were.
It didn't take long to realise
The safest place was not her arms, but her eyes
Where she can't see you
For her gaze, it blisters;
Grey skin to cinders
The road speed thing will likely be super annoying tbh. I can't imagine actually going 55 or 65 on the highway because everyone does 75-80 around here anyway. Any section with a 75 mph speed limit basically turns into the Autobahn
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by 剣 斧 血
What?

Driving is a skill you learn, not a pre-established ability that you grow in to like being able to walk. If you stop teaching people a skill until no one alive has any memory of how to do it that wouldn't make it impossible to figure it all out again. It would take time but they'd manage. 

As for how I feel about self-driving cars, I think it would make driving easier for anyone who still had to drive a manual (can't afford a self-drive) because the people in self-drives wouldn't be able to be arseholes, essentially. It would probably irritate a lot of people because they'd naturally be programmed to obey proper road speed, car separation distance and a number of other things people do wrong but think is normal. So not only would it drive in a potentially different way to them it would also highlight to them just how bad at driving they actually were.

True. But you'd need to make sure the self-drives could identify a manual car(or at least, they'd identify other self-drives), and alter their tolerances there accordingly.

I mean, without having to allow for puny human reflexes, cars could safely drive closer/faster or perform lane changes etc with less clearance than manually driven cars could.
Sure I'm all for them as long as I can drive a normal car.

What happens if you tailgate one? Does it try and speed away from you to make a safe gap? That could be fun.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
or perform lane changes etc with less clearance than manually driven cars could.

idk bout that one. some folks barely miss your license plate
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by StewieSwan
idk bout that one. some folks barely miss your license plate

Yea, but I'd be less worried by that if I was in a self-driving car, and the car passing me that close was also self-driving.
We could put some sort of tracks on the road so the cars couldn't come off.
Also oftentimes a lot of people are going to the same place, so we could make big long cars and they could all sit in it together.

I call it, the homo-rail.
Quote by whoomit
We could put some sort of tracks on the road so the cars couldn't come off.
Also oftentimes a lot of people are going to the same place, so we could make big long cars and they could all sit in it together.

I call it, the homo-rail.

I don't remember these bastards staying on the track

Quote by slapsymcdougal
True. But you'd need to make sure the self-drives could identify a manual car(or at least, they'd identify other self-drives), and alter their tolerances there accordingly.

I mean, without having to allow for puny human reflexes, cars could safely drive closer/faster or perform lane changes etc with less clearance than manually driven cars could.

There would be a tipping point where the number of manual cars still on the road would be overtaken by the number of self-drives. Surely by that point in time someone would have suggested having a similar signal or even just readable symbol that can be identified by the car's computer, to let it know what the type of cars it's surrounded by.

Not saying it would work perfectly but it'd be a start but if we were to start replacing manual with self-drive there'd have to be a pretty well thought out adjustment period.
It didn't take long to realise
The safest place was not her arms, but her eyes
Where she can't see you
For her gaze, it blisters;
Grey skin to cinders
Last edited by 剣 斧 血 at May 24, 2017,
Self-driving cars should not be made commercial unless they are 100% disconnected from the internet, or have a huge bank/NASA-like approach to security (which isn't happening right now)

If that happens, then yes, self-driving cars are awesome and would have only 0.000001% of situations where they pose a moral conundrum.
Quote by 剣 斧 血
There would be a tipping point where the number of manual cars still on the road would be overtaken by the number of self-drives. Surely by that point in time someone would have suggested having a similar signal or even just readable symbol that can be identified by the car's computer, to let it know what the type of cars it's surrounded by.

Not saying it would work perfectly but it'd be a start but if we were to start replacing manual with self-drive there'd have to be a pretty well thought out adjustment period.

Personally, I'd have it on the self-drives, and have them assume that if it's not observed, it's manual. Probably the safest option.
I'm mixed on this issue.....

My hopeful side says it'd be great for reducing traffic, accidents, no worries about tickets, no worries about anything else. You can get as fucked up as you want and you always have a ride without a judgy driver. No need to worry about gas or maintainance if they are a city owned public transit thing rather than something you own.

But my smart side tells me what about over-congestion of public self-driving vehicles causing delays and a different new kind of traffic we did not expect. What about if they become a community thing and then the quality of the rides falls to shit just like some public bus system assets or taxi cabs if they are privatized. What if government controlled public service variants of this can be hijacked by the people in charge in order to get rid of "unfavorable" people in certain countries and places where people would not bother to look.....just saying

What about the firmware updates missed by maintainance, or the vulnerabilities that could lead to a new form of Automotive terrorism via causing havoc in the system, causing numerous crashes, deaths, and property damage from malfunctioning/misguided unmanned vehicles. Especially if you privatley own one like a regular car today. People don't really update the BIOS in their computer or pay attention to Windows updates - even people who are professionals with that stuff from what I can tell - and that's rather disturbing. The last thing I want to fall victim to is an idiot whose braking system fails and I spend the last 20 minutes of my life bleeding out in a car accident unavoidable because no steering wheel or pedals.

If they get faster as technology progresses, then they will need some kind of track or enclosed system to make sure accidents don't happen due to glitches or programming problems. The last thing you want your last 5 minutes on earth to be is hurling at 200 miles per hour right at another unmanned vehicle that broke down due to a firmware update because of some failed sensor or firmware.

I'm an I.T. guy in real life, I know computers are not 100% infallable things. Some of the realities of these things can be pretty scary.
My Current Mains
- 1996 Fender Jag-Stang with EMG Pickups
- 1998 Fender Jaguar with Cool Rails
- 1982 Hondo Paul Dean II (DiMarzio Super II X2)
- 2010 "Fender" Jazzmaster (Home built)
- 2013 Squier VM Bass VI (stock)
Page 1 of 4