So, I'm considering an amp upgrade from an Orange CR20  combo that I bought about a year ago. Been using it for practice at home in an apartment and I think it's about time for an upgrade.

I've been looking around for an amp head and cab and narrow down to a couple of amps. I was also considering a couple of combo amps too

Head:
1) H&K Tubemiester 18
2) Orange OR15 
3) Orange Tiny Terror
4) Blackstar HT5
5) Marshall DSL100 (A little bit out of my ball part and tooo loud)

Cab:
1) Orange 1x12 
2) H&K 1x12
[If get the H&K matching head and cab, the store that sells it says they can work out a deal]

Combo:
1) Fender BassBreaker 15
2) Orange Rocker 30
3) Marshall DSL 15
4) Vox AC15 (Blue Backed Speakers)

Things to consider:

The sound I'm going for is the bluesbreaker - plexi sound but I am not ready to flush out that much money for a bluesbreaker combo (unless I find 1 used). Also, I'm more of a pedal guy and needs an amp that is a good pedal platform although it'll help if the amp gain is also as good as it is.

What are your opinion for the chosen amp? The genre I'm playing is more towards the Blues and Blues-Rock genre. A versatile amp would definitely help.

Thank you for your opinions!
Fender Standard Stratocaster MIM 2011 with David Gilmour Neck Pickup Switch Mod

Epiphone Les Paul Standard PlusTop Pro 2015 with Peter Green Mod

1999 Japanese Epiphone Les Paul Standard LP-80 with Peter Green Mod
noobyXD You do know the Fender Bassbreaker series is based on the Bluesbreaker/Bassman amps, which the Bluesbreaker itself was based on the Bassman right? If you want a Bluesbreaker sound, the choice is obvious. You could also look into the DSL series for the more Marshall side of things, but methinks for blues you will have a better time with Fender.
Will Lane  I heard that the bluesbreaker was based on the bassbreaker in the early days beffore the bassbreaker was discontinued. However, I was thinking of getting an Amp head and cab instead of a combo so yea... Choices haha

Any opinion on the head + cab options?

noobyXD Out of those, probably the DSL. Although the 100w is quite a lot, you will likely need a get a 2x12 cab to handle the wattage. There are 15w and I think 40 or 50w DSL heads out there. I would recommend at least a 2x12 cab anyway so you get some proper thump from the cab. Also the Bassbreaker series comes in a head format.

The Marshall Bluesbreaker/JTM45 was based off of Fender's Bassman. The modern Fender Bassbreaker series now is Fender's copy of the Bluesbreaker. It is all circular copying.
Last edited by Will Lane at May 24, 2017,
are you playing live or just at home. if just at home marshall made a 5 watt amp a few years back that can be had fairly cheap that would do what you want ( at least in terms of the jtm 45). i will point out the the sound of the bluesbreaker was from massive volume. you may wat to look at a DSL40c combo (their is no head version at 40 watts just 100) 
Quote by monwobobbo
you may wat to look at a DSL40c combo

+1

A killer amp indeed. You can play it at bedroom levels and it will sound quite decent. It takes boosts well.
Crank it up at a rehearsal and it will chop your head off
Whilst I really like the H+K Tubemeister series, it doesn't sound like it suits what you want.

I'll put the Peavey classic 30 in the mix as a good reasonably cheap pedal platform
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
 If just playing at home then a head and cab may look cool but really wont be any better than a combo in most cases.   And then even if gigging a combo can be a better choice,  The obvious benefits to a head and cab are the weight distribution and easier choice of cab,  But I can change speakers out in a combo in about 15 minutes, and if I want to run an extension cab or DI out that's also easy with a decent combo.  Not that you cant do that with a stack but its just more gear,  If it were me I'd opt for a good combo and good extension cab,  In which case you have some pretty good suggestions for a combo amp.  I've always liked the DSL 40 and  Classic 30,  Not that that's what I use but hey, I've kind of evolved or devolved depending on how you look at it,  How many old Blues rockers that you know of are sporting an old 80's Peavey TNT 130 bass amp lined out to an old Kustom 72 Coupe?   Weird huh, How did I come up with that rig?  I kept trying different shit for years and years and years,  
monwobobbo  As of now, I'm currently playing at home but I plan to do gigs and stuff like that in the future although it's not a career choice, it's more of a serious hobby. I've tried out the DSL 15 but not the 40 (they do not have stock at that time I was in store)... Imma give it a shot when I got the chance!

Shredx The dude at the shop (really nice and knowledgeable guy btw) told me that the Tubemiester 18 gives more of a plexi vibe. Not really into peavy stuff though... To me they always gives me the vibe of heavy rock and metal sound LOL

nastytroll My guitar heros all uses different type of rig. Hiwatts of David Gilmour, Marshalls of Gary Moore and then there's Brian May Vox(es)... But for my sound in my head it's more on the high gain lead tone (Very much similar to Gary Moore). I've heard something about Marshall and using ceramic speakers as compared to the Alnico one for the era of sound or somthing like that?

I was also considering a Orange Micro Terror but the 1 tone control just gave me the feeling that I could not dial in the exact tone I'm looking for as I cannot control the individual bandwidth of Mids, Bass and Treble

I'm a huge Gary Moore fan and actually certain peaveu amps work pretty well for that
Been working on his Cold Hearted stray tone for a while using a peaveu valveking and an overdrive.
Quote by Will Lane
noobyXD Out of those, probably the DSL. Although the 100w is quite a lot, you will likely need a get a 2x12 cab to handle the wattage. There are 15w and I think 40 or 50w DSL heads out there. I would recommend at least a 2x12 cab anyway so you get some proper thump from the cab. Also the Bassbreaker series comes in a head format.

The Marshall Bluesbreaker/JTM45 was based off of Fender's Bassman. The modern Fender Bassbreaker series now is Fender's copy of the Bluesbreaker. It is all circular copying.

Basically.

The bassbreaker is really nice ftr. Id get one in a heartbeat.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
monwobobbo I really dig his tone in the "Live Blues" live show and also the montreux 2010 one. But cnt afford those kind of gears for nuts... Let alone the guitar haha!

Will Lane I've red more up on the BassBreaker and the BassBreaker 18/30 and BassBreaker 45 is very tempting but so is the 15w variant. Apparently my Fender distributor here don't bring in the head so yea... What is your opinion?

I do prefer a two channel amp as compared to one though... Therefore the 18/30w or 45w as compared to the 15w variant.

Also considering that I'm really into Gary Moore-esk tone haha!

Last edited by noobyXD at May 25, 2017,
Quote by diabolical
Have you looked at the Marshall Class5? I think it came in head and combo version. Small version of the Bluesbreaker.

You could get a Bassbreaker 007 for cheaper and it offers way more.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by noobyXD
monwobobbo I really dig his tone in the "Live Blues" live show and also the montreux 2010 one. But cnt afford those kind of gears for nuts... Let alone the guitar haha!

neither can i  . i guess what i was getting at is that you can find other gear that works to achieve the goal. i don't play Les Pauls at all as they just don't work for me. in it's place i use a BC Rich Eagle which i can get similar tones from.  the Valveking is hardly high end but it can get you at least in the ballpark on a fair number of hard rock and blues rock tones. i don't expect to "nail" any of Gary's tones and i certainly don't play anywhere near as well as he did. i do give it my best shot though for what i can afford and what gear i have. 
A bassbreaker can do GM tones better than a VK. 
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
A bassbreaker can do GM tones better than a VK. 

i'm sure lots of amps can. didn't suggest he get a VK, just pointing out that you can look outside the box a bit. 
diabolical i have not because my dealers just don't stock it here

H4T3BR33D3Rmonwobobbo

I was seriously thinking about the BassBreaker 15w or the 45w variant... The 15w is probably more suitable for me as it's nt too loud but the 45w thouhh 👀

15 watts is still plenty loud to be fair. Something to keep in mind is the 15 does have a master volume so you dont have to crank up the volume all the time. You can keep it relatively quiet when youre playing at home and then when you need the extra volume you can crank it up. The bigger ones like the 18/30 or 45 dont have master volumes so you will need to have them kind of loud to really start distorting or use pedals to get there. Although the 45 does have an output knob that you can use to turn down the wattage from 45 watts to 1 watt. It would still probably be quite loud though.

Also another thing to watch out for is the BBs do vary a bit between models. Like the 7w has an FX loop but the rest of the line doesnt and the 18/30 has a seperate channel available that you can change with a footswitch. The 15 has a gain knob (the 007 does too), master volume and a switch that changes how aggressive the preamp is (so you can clean it up or get it more dirty depending on your preference). The 45 watter is similar to the older bassman and plexi style amps in which you have a bright channel and normal channel seperated by different inputs that you plug into and an option to jumper them together with an input that lets you cascade the preamps into each other to get a bit more distortion.

Also the best thing you can do is hopefully try out some stuff and find what works best for you.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
H4T3BR33D3R The 15w is the only that has the FX loop... Not the 007.

I love the idea of having the 3 different type of gain stages on the amp for the 15w variant. I just gotta wait for them to stock up now so I could try it out. Certainly to be at the top of my list

Quote by noobyXD
H4T3BR33D3R The 15w is the only that has the FX loop... Not the 007.

I love the idea of having the 3 different type of gain stages on the amp for the 15w variant. I just gotta wait for them to stock up now so I could try it out. Certainly to be at the top of my list

The 15 is definitely pretty nice and the adjustable gain staging is pretty handy IMO. For the kind of tones I like I tend to keep the gain stage on medium or low and roll up some gain and volume. Honestly it's probably the best BB in the range really considering price/features/performance. Kind of wish I grabbed one but I already have something for my Marshallesque tones so I had to pass them up.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Whatever you buy, I will throw that in: Retube it! At least the preamp. Good tubes really let an amp roar
noobyXD they're discontinued, you gotta find them used.

Look at the KUstom Defender, that also might be a good option:
http://www.houstonmusicreviews.com/GearReview/Kustom_defender/Kustom%20Defender15H_KustomDefenderGuitarSpeakerCabinet.htm
The DSL40C is just a great amp. I would not go for a smaller amp as you would loose some low end unless you are going for that particular tone. Like a VOX AC15 tone which I also like. The DSL is a decent sounding workhorse. Good cleans, crunch and lead channels. The DSL15 does not come anywhere near to the DSL40C.

If you want a cleaner blues tone, the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe is also a great amp. It is a great pedal platform as it takes pedals so well! Be aware that the dirty channel of the Fender is not as great but it features a spring reverb. Some dislike the reverb but I find it quite usable unless you go crazy. The Blues junior is also a decent amp but has way less bass than the HRD and pedals work differently with it than with the bigger amp. It is very small and light though easy to carry. I have not yet played the Bassbreaker.

The AC15 has the best speaker and has one great sound in it, but I feel like it is a one trick pony. Since, blueback is more expensive than the green back it does not make it automatically better (I have seen you disregarded the greenbacks). I suggest you try them both, I actually prefer the green backs.
do you plan to use the amp for distortion or do you plan to use pedals?
Not taking any online orders.
CorduroyEW I plan to get it from pedals but it's still good to have a very good in build distortion in the amp cos sometimes you'll never know when you needed it.

Gab_Azz The DSL40c is not very friendly towards pedals eh... I tried it out myself and it took me 10min+ just to get it sounding nice with a blues driver

for about 60 quid more than the bassmaster 15 you could get a blackstar artist 15.  It is 15 watts of clean tone.  It handles distortion pedals very well but the amp doesn't really have any inbuilt distortion.  Even with gain, volume, and master cranked you only get a slight overdrive and crunch so all your distortion would need to come from pedals.  I really like this particular amp because the blackstar ISF lets you change the amp's voicing between American and British  and it actually does what it says it will.  You can make it sound like a vintage Gibson, blackface fender, tweed fender, vintage Vox, or vintage Marshall.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by noobyXD

The DSL40c is not very friendly towards pedals eh... I tried it out myself and it took me 10min+ just to get it sounding nice with a blues driver

But saying that it does not take pedals well because the Blues driver does not work is a bit unfair. Yes, I prefer the blues driver with the Fender HRD, but it does pretty decent with pedals overall. The Ibanez TS9 works well with it, so does the MXR Zakk Wylde overdrive and the EHX Crayon.

Also, I replaced the amp speaker to both my Fender HRD and DSL40C. Both amps have the weaker Celestion 70/80. A speaker upgrade is way more effective on your tone than any pedal. I placed a G12M65 Creamback in my Marshall and a Jensen C12K in my Fender. The creamback took a while to settle in the amp I always like the Fender more, but now with the Creamback I am leaning towards the Marshall. The good thing about the Vox is that the stock green back is a really nice speaker. BTW I play mostly blues.
Just found your amp thread.

What's your budget?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Gab_Azz I heard samples of both Greenback and Blueback speakers and I'd say I prefer the blueback more on the Vox

dannyalcatraz Budget wise I'm looking at about 1k to about 1.5k SGD

Quote by noobyXD
CorduroyEW I plan to get it from pedals but it's still good to have a very good in build distortion in the amp cos sometimes you'll never know when you needed it.

Gab_Azz The DSL40c is not very friendly towards pedals eh... I tried it out myself and it took me 10min+ just to get it sounding nice with a blues driver

10 minutes is nothing. It takes more than that to learn an amp. If a pedal doesn't work as well then it's the pedal, 99% of the time. Working on good tones isn't a plug n play thing.
Quote by diabolical
noobyXD they're discontinued, you gotta find them used.

Look at the KUstom Defender, that also might be a good option:
http://www.houstonmusicreviews.com/GearReview/Kustom_defender/Kustom%20Defender15H_KustomDefenderGuitarSpeakerCabinet.htm

That Kustom would have been a good choice some years ago, as it was another of the James Brown designed amps, But James left and Kustom took a shit, Again,   Although if you can find one of the older The Defender V50 or V100 them puppies aint nothing nice,  They can go from Super Reverb sparkling cleans to JCM nasty dirty,  If you cant dial in something you like you aint trying,   Everything this kids looking for, Good luck finding one though  That 5w job is Chinese made bare bones garbage,  Sad as Kustom use to make some killer amps,  Today they can hardly give them away  
Last edited by nastytroll at May 27, 2017,
Quote by noobyXD
dannyalcatraz Budget wise I'm looking at about 1k to about 1.5k SGD

OK, @$1000 USD- an otherwise healthy budget, but compromised by your location.

The Carvin V3M I recommended in your guitar thread ( ) is not going to be as good a deal outside the USA due to shipping, but it's still a hell of an amp that is probably still be within your budget. It should do everything you're asking pretty well.

I'd also recommend you look at Quilter amps. They're not cheap, but they're very well-made. They're lightweight, solid state, non-modeling amps. Their cleans sound great, and they offer a pretty good range of tones out of the box. And, unlike a lot of SS amps, they take pedals just fine. Some of them have headphone jacks; AFAIK, all are designed to work with voltages in nearly any country. The Mach 2 is their most tonally flexible head, currently selling for @$700 USD, and others you'd probably like are as little as half that.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
If you like to try a Boss overdrive, I would recommend the SD1. The TS9 also does a great job with the amp. The BD2 emphasizes all the wrong frequencies for the Marshall. For a lighter boost I like the MXR micro amp.
I had an old Peavey Classic 30 and personally i much preferred it to the DSL sound wise.
It was loud though and hard to keep quiet.
There is a new version out now though and they do a 20 watt mini head.I'm fancying one myself.
Quote by noobyXD
Gab_Azz I heard samples of both Greenback and Blueback speakers and I'd say I prefer the blueback more on the Vox

Do not buy on what you hear online. Play through the amp. You may not like the response to your playing style.
Gab_Azz I'm using a DS-1 as my main distortion pedal that has been modded (JCM Brian Wampler Mod) and a bad monkey for overdrive so yeaa