Hello all! I have SBMM. Ax4 that I'm considering​ doing a major​ trem mod on. I like the Ax4 a good deal, but the licensed Floyd just doesn't do everything​ I want it to do.

I've done some research and have decided on the Edge Zero ii with ZPS system. (Cosmo Black to complete the look I'm after)

I will need to do the top trem routing, but unsure if I will need to mod the rear trem cavity for the ZPS system? Any advice or input is greatly​ appreciated.

Thanks,
Eric
Why not get an OFR instead?  It should be a direct swap with no mods and be far better.  And what is it you're looking for it to do?  I'm not a fan of Ibanez trems besides the Original Edge, IMO they are just crap.  The ZPS would be the 1st thing to go if I had a guitar with the system.   
Last edited by Way Cool JR. at May 24, 2017,
Thanks for your reply. While I've never had an OFR, only the licensed variety, I haven't had a great experience. I've seen how Vai uses/abuses his trem while remaining in tune. (Not that I can play like him lol.) Just want that stability. Plus I've never had/used an Ibanez trem. From what I've read, the Edge Zero ii/ZPS is the way to go. It's partly cosmetic too, as it will match the rest of the guitar. Black chrome knobs vs the cheap looking plastic Strat looking knobs.

I have a Duncan Jazz for the neck and plan on maybe a Trembucker for the bridge. The pickups will be installed hopefully at same time as trem mod. Plus, I love a project lol.
Last edited by ECB1970 at May 24, 2017,
A Trembucker is Seymour Duncan's name for a pickup that has the poles spaced slightly wider for guitars that have a vibrato system. Almost every humbucker comes in a Trembucker version. You'd have to pick the model you like (or that gets you close to the sound you want), then order the Trembucker version (it has TB in the model name). 
Mincer

Hi Mincer. And thanks. I wasn't completely aware of that. Just figured to go w the trem it would be necessary. Still doing the homework before starting the project. Currently wondering if mods/routing will be needed in rear trem cavity.
vai uses an original edge or a lo-pro edge- not an edge zero ii.

for tuning stablity you want one of the good trems- Floyd Rose Original, Schaller Lockmeister (effectively an FRO with a schaller stamp, since schaller makes the FRO too) or Schaller Tremolo (the double locking one which isn't the lockmeister), or Gotoh GE1996T. Or those Ibanez ones Vai used, plus the Edge Pro which is also good (they're all made by Gotoh... as far as I'm aware, neither the edge zero nor edge zero ii is).

just get the one which is most likely to be a direct swap (routing templates should be on the manufacturers' websites), assuming you have no preference for low profile or regular profile-style trems.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Hello Dave. Thanks for the info. I've heard on another forum that either the edge pro or low pro doesn't have the stability of the Zero ii. Must have been the lo-pro with the issue, not the Pro. It's likely I confused them as I tried to take in a BUNCH of info/opinions that day.

I'm not tied to a low profile so much as the black chrome (and I don't want something huge that​ looks like too much). The Zero ii fits the bill and the budget.

Ànd I feel like I have to ask... I went to school with a great guy and phenomenal player named Dave Macelfresh. (sp?). You're not him by any chance?? If so, Hi and small frikkin' world huh??
Dave_Mc

Also I think the Zero ii will fit in a Floyd top rout. Part of what started that quest. Would give the option of going back to a Floyd.
when you say stablity, do you mean tuning stability or flutter?

the gotoh ibanez ones have very good tuning stability, i'd strongly suspect better than the edge zero ii (but i've never tried the edge zero ii).

nope that's not me, sorry. I didn't even really start playing guitar properly until just after I left school.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
You've already been a big help in these decisions. Might do some shopping for a Gotoh or Schaller since it will be a direct swap. By the time I order/ship the Zero ii it might be cheaper to get a new one of those.

The DaveyMac I knew went on to tour in Europe playing guitar and violin for a local band. Kinda big here, HUGE in Europe. Currently playing for Hank III if I'm correct. And he's a great dude who would offer help as you have.
just watch that they actually are direct swaps- there should be routing templates on the gotoh and schaller websites. the studs might be a bit bigger too (especially on the gotoh) so watch out for that. i think it's available with different sizes of sustain blocks so that'd be worth bearing in mind, too.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Dave_Mc

All great points man. Thanks. After some research I've found a FR Special or 1000. Decent prices, could change the block and saddles.

Hoping to use existing posts and drop in. Thoughts??
Last edited by ECB1970 at May 26, 2017,
i'm not sure what size the posts are on the sterling.

i don't think you'd need to change the saddles or the block on the 1000, they should already be made of what they should be.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by ECB1970
Dave_Mc

All great points man.  Thanks. After some research I've found a FR Special or 1000. Decent prices, could change the block and saddles.

Hoping to use existing posts and drop in. Thoughts??

Go for the 1000 you won't need to change the saddles since they are hardened steel (like the German ones) unlike the FR Special which are zinc.  The 1000 also has a nickle plated brass block so you wouldn't need to upgrade it unless you need a different size or want a big block.  The extra money spent upgrading the Special would be better spent on the 1000.  Since your guitar's FR is top mounted it will drop straight in as long as the post spacing is the same.  You can more than likely use the existing posts as well, assuming they are still in good shape.  The FR ones may be of better quality though.  You may also get lucky and the Floyd posts may fit in your existing anchors.  If the post spacing isn't the same you may be further ahead to get the Gotoh 1996 T since it has one flat blade to accommodate several post spacing's.       
Dave_Mc

I read that the block and saddles are magnesium alloy or something. The saddles might be alright but steel seems better. And I like the idea of a big brass block.

It's an easy swap and I've found a dude that will make one off the measurements of the existing block.

The FR Special/1000 matches the measurements of my current one in every way I've checked, so that's good news. And way cheaper than the Ibanez idea, plus a direct swap.

Once I get going I will post photos.
Way Cool JR.

Duh... derp! I must've missed this or just read the notification heading on phone. Oops.

But all good news. Looks like the 1000 is the winner!! Thanks man.
yeah the 1000 is made of the "right" materials- steel saddles, hardened steel knife edges and brass sustain block (plated with nickel maybe (?) do it doesn't look like brass, but it is). just not made as nicely as the schaller-made one, but it (more or less) does the job.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Dave_Mc

Indeed. The 1000 fits perfectly for what I need. I spend time doing research I confuse myself​. Not to mention 100% in budget. (I'm looking at one in the $90 range.)

Going this way makes it a much easier project. Thanks everyone for the advice/tips. Have a great/safe holiday weekend.
You too
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
ECB1970

Hi Dave_Mc, et al..

I've ordered the 1000 with the finish I want. Should be a couple weeks. Didn't want to miss in auction so did BIN - $100/free shipping. Good enough for me.

Seller said it was from his 2016 San Dimas, so relatively new. Also noted it has a 32mm steel block.

I have a concern about how the new block will fit into the Sterling. I know it could be swapped, and I do think I'd prefer brass.

So any thoughts on the 32mm block? It's not like it's going straight into the guitar right away, as I need to get the routing done. I've got a Duncan Jazz for neck, might as well wait until i get the JB for the bridge. Make it all one project.

Thanks again for all the help. I've noticed that I might have a problem though. This project is in planning stage, with much still to do, yet I'm already planning my next project. I just love making a pretty decent guitar Into a killer one!!
32mm is the smallest size block, isn't it? I'm not sure if it'll fit or not, but if it's the smallest one it's the most likely to fit...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah. I did further research on it, but likely won't know for certain until the new trem gets here in about 10 days.

Thanks for all of your input on this project Dave. Huge help man.
No worries
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?