Let me start by saying, I am expecting to get some flak for this - however, I shall proceed. Currently building first guitar for my daughter and have bought a neck from one of the only online stores in the country. I expect it is a Chinese factory neck and will require some refinished (or turned to fire wood). I also bought a neck for myself as I am planning a JF style Strat. I know this may be going a bit far but my preference would be a 21 fret neck and the Chinese made stuff all comes in at 22. With that in mind is there a reasonable way I could turn a 22 into a 21 without too many issues. I am very comfortable with DIY, hand tools and power tools - I would also remove the rosewood fret board from the maple neck blank if that is what it will take to get it right. I am trying to make it as period correct as possible (although a truss rod nut at the headstock is a happy improvement for me).

Thoughts (besides, 'why bother', 'waste of time' etc)? Constructive criticism please
Buy a used Squier stratocaster guitar.. refinish the body color.. change the components.. bridge, electronics, pickups and hardware.. if that is what you want.. fret dress and level the frets if needed.. at least you don't need to hope neck fits or not.. 22 frets doesn't really make a difference.. just need to make sure the intonation is right at the 12th fret.
I have Washburn guitars 'Maverick Series' and bass 'Bantam Series' and a few pedals and amps, but man I wish to have more patience and drive practicing my playing, if it's equal to the modding itch, then I'm golden.
Explorerbuilder Unauthentic authenticity

psp742 Can't get many guitars around here without getting on an aeroplane and travelling to the city - and strangely enough me building them and spending cash on tools etc is more acceptable than buying more guitars - at least in SWMBOs eyes I already have 4 bodies routed out and some components on the way. Think of it more of a hobby and something to keep me busy than anything else
Potential option....

1. Remove 22nd fret
2. Cut board at 22nd fret slot
3. Remove overhang to 22nd fret
4. Sand down and join the over hang to the cut 22nd fret
5. Flush route the end of the fret board to neck profile
6. Sand and refinish
If my dad cut the last fret of my guitar, i would be pissed
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
She's two years old - she might not notice for a while Leaving hers as a 22 fret, it's just for me on one guitar