1 8%
Epiphone Lucille
0 0%
Fender American 60's reissue
3 25%
Jackson Adrian Smith SDX
7 58%
Voters: 12.
So, I've been looking for a new guitar purchase. There's a lot of guitars that I want to acquire (I admit I have G.A.S).

But being a student, I'm broke af but currently trying to save up for either an amp upgrade or a new guitar to play with. (Most probably an amp upgrade 1st)  

My preference for neck was the 50's style neck on a Gibson but I'm ok with most neck as long as it is not tooooo skinny. The slim tapered neck found on most Gibson feels good for me as well.

I've narrowed down to couple options and would like to seek your opinion!

1) Heritage Guitar LP (Custom made) [Will take a long ass time according to my distributor]
2) Gibson Les Paul Traditional T (2017 model in particular)
3) Epiphone Lucille
4) Fender American 60's reissue in fiesta red (Gotta be that fiesta red)
5) Jackson Adrian Smith SDX (The maple fretboard variant)

I'm really considering to get an upgraded Les Paul but would like to seek everyone's opinion on the guitars.

Update:

After looking through again, there are some really good guitars I saw

6) PRS SE "Floyd" Custom 24
7) Charvel San Dimas
8) Chapman Hot Rod ML-1 (It's the last piece the shop have so low to chance of getting it)
9) PG Fireman
10) Gibson ES-335 / Heritage variant
Fender Standard Stratocaster MIM 2011 with David Gilmour Neck Pickup Switch Mod

Epiphone Les Paul Standard PlusTop Pro 2015 with Peter Green Mod

1999 Japanese Epiphone Les Paul Standard LP-80 with Peter Green Mod
Last edited by noobyXD at May 27, 2017,
they're fairly different styles of guitars- absolutely fine if you want to amass a collection, but if you only want one now you'd probably want to narrow down more what you want. what do you already have? that'll affect what you should do if you are trying to gather up several different guitars eventually.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i just realised you listed your guitars in your sig

i mean you already have a les paul and a strat, so i guess it depends on how much you like them- if you're happy with them, then the lucille or the jackson are most different from what you already have.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
2 things to remember about the Lucille - even though it's a semi-hollow, the center block and neck are maple, and they average about 9lb(Epi reckon their LPs sit around 8 1/2); so it's a chunk.

Second, the Varitone circuit is the really unique feature on it(IIRC it has a stereo jack too, but that doesn't make much odds if you haven't got a stereo amp setup), so it's worth finding out what that does, and if you'll use it.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
If you're looking at Les Pauls, you really probably want to consider what an "upgrade" would be to the one you have now and then see if you're really receiving value for the money spent.

For me, an upgrade might include a smoothed Axcess-style neck heel, a tummy cut , neck-through construction, multi-layer binding on the body and headstock, single layer binding on the fretboard. I prefer an ebony fretboard, real MOP or Abalone inlays, jumbo frets, a bit flatter radius (14" -16"), a Tusq nut, String Saver saddles. As you can tell, I'm not a slave to traditional LPs. All of that is available, by the way, on an Agile AL-3200 MCC. If I had my druthers, I'd also want a bit wider neck (say, a 1 3/4" nut width) and maybe even a Floyd Rose. Taken a bit further, how about 24 frets and a 25.5" scale?. Rondo Music's Custom shop has all of those options available, and when you're all done, including case and shipping, you're still about half the Traditional LP.

Another place I can get most of that is through Carvin/Kiesel, except that their finish and exotic/custom wood list is even more extensive.

And finally, if it's MY guitar, burstbuckers won't do. I'm going to want a Suhr Aldrich bridge pickup, maybe a Fernandes Sustainer and maybe a single coil size high-output neck pickup.

And then I want a full-on PLEK setup and a fret superglue.

All up, this stuff is still less expensive than that Traditional LP from Gibson.
I'd get the Jackson but then I have two Les Paul shapes via ESP and LTD but no HSS. And I can't seem to get enough Jacksons!
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
noobyXD

It looks like you have 2 decent axes, and some relatively pricey guitars on your shopping list. But you also mentioned a possible amp upgrade. What are you using currently? What's your preferred style of music?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
a word of advice.
go play them and buy which one you like the best.
its all personal preference. 
dannyalcatraz I was thinking about the Fender BassBreaker 15 for my next amp as I'm mainly playing in my bedroom soo anything louder than that is pushing a bit too far. Mainly play Blues Rock and Blues so yea...

Dave_Mc I was also considering the Gretsch stuff but they're not really for me personally.

I was also thinking of Charvel San Dimas line but the place that sell it here are a bunch of people colder than ice when I went there LOL.

I like the Bassbreakers, but I'm of the opinion that- if you can afford it and have the space- you're almost always better off with more powerful amps. Often, they have features the smaller amps just don't have. And the additional power gives you one very important thing: headroom. IOW, the more powerful the amp, the more volume you can pump out before the amp starts to break up; you can play cleaner louder.

Plus, if you ever decide to gig, you won't need to buy a more powerful amp to keep up with your drummer. So if you go Bassbreaker, budget for the bigger ones.

I say all of this as a non-gigging guitarist with a 40w Fender and 30w Orange.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

All the guitars in your list are guitars I would be happy to own and I don't think you would be disappointed by any of them.  If you are leaning in the direction of an LP then chances are that is what you really want and so that is what I would probably recommend.  Your current LP has the peter green mod so a second LP without the mod will broaden your musical horizons.  On the other hand, you did mention wanting another amp and a new amp will make your two guitars sound like 2 different guitars essentially giving you 4 guitars worth of sound rather than 3.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
I like the Bassbreakers, but I'm of the opinion that- if you can afford it and have the space- you're almost always better off with more powerful amps.  Often, they have features the smaller amps just don't have.  And the additional power gives you one very important thing: headroom.  IOW, the more powerful the amp, the more volume you can pump out before the amp starts to break up; you can play cleaner louder.

Plus, if you ever decide to gig, you won't need to buy a more powerful amp to keep up with your drummer.  So if you go Bassbreaker, budget for the bigger ones.

I say all of this as a non-gigging guitarist with a 40w Fender and 30w Orange.

But if you want the breakup at lower volumes....

I think the Bassbreakers actually let you reduce output wattage to achieve that.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
dannyalcatraz The thing about the BassBreaker series is that the 15w is the only one that has build in reverb and fx loop... which is weird. Normally for my amp I tend to leave it near clean or at break up and use my pedals for my gain stages. 

The problem with any of the amp at a higher wattage is I need to be concern for my neighbour as I don't want the police to be knocking on my door LOL

CorduroyEW Truth be told I'll do the mod again.... I owned the LP for a year and about 6 months before doing the mod, the number of times I used the middle position is literally less than 10 LOL

I suggest an ES-355 over the Lucille, but the Lucille is good too.
Quote by noobyXD

Dave_Mc I was also considering the Gretsch stuff but they're not really for me personally.

I've never actually tried a gretsch, but as far as i'm aware they're very different, yeah.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
noobyXD

Hmmm...you may be right about that. If those are essentials, the 15w might be the only option in that line. There are, of course, other amps out there, like the Carvin V3M (now $559 with code MEMORIALDAY)
https://carvinaudio.com/collections/v3m-series

I like it that you're thinking about the amp first.

Most of us in a forum like this collect guitars, but I go about it the other way around. I don't ask which guitar I like, I ask what style of instrument I'm looking to suit my musical interests, and tonal and aesthetic preferences.  IOW, I'm looking for the right tool for the job in hand.
i think you need to really think about what you want out of a guitar. your list has a variety of guitars where some seem a bit more suited to certain styles than others.  what do you really want out of a guitar?

i'm also going to stress that just because say Gary Moore played Les Pauls (and i know you're a fan) that they are right for you. give some thought about what your "perfect" guitar would be but don't consider a brand when thinking about it. as much as i love LPs i personally have a tough time playing them. what i ended up with in place of one is a BC Rich Eagle. never gave any thought to owning one but tried one i came across and was shocked that it really fit me and my playing needs. just saying to keep an open mind. sure i get an odd look or two at a blues jam cuz ya know BC Rich isn't exactly the first thing that comes to mind for blue/blues rock. don't care it does what i need. 
Quote by Tony Done

Most of us in a forum like this collect guitars, but I go about it the other way around.

I've done things the other way around. Amps have usually been secondary to me. I'll start with a solid guitar and then, depending on what I'm playing, I'll go find an amp that works. As a result, I've ended up with 15 tube amps, most of which sit in storage. at some point I decided that buying a whole amp didn't make sense, so I started looking for versatility. I ended up with a Mesa Triaxis (all tube preamp) that offers the sound of most of the Mesa amps to that point. I also found the Egnater M4, which has a number of interchangeable modules (the M4 will accept up to four of them at a time) each of which offers a specific amp sound (Marshall, Fender, etc.). When modelers came around, it was natural to move into those because they offered a LOT of amp sounds.

These days, it makes sense to me to have a variety of amp sounds available *and* a number of guitar personalities available, so I'm using Variax guitars into a Helix. It saves a LOT of cartage if you play live.
dspellman 

There's more than one way of skinning the tonal cat eh? It was lousy amps that kept me disconnected from electric guitars for decades , and it was really happenstance that finally fixed it. - I bought a decent electric guitar amp (Peavey Classic 30) for acoustic gigging, then got interested in vintage electric lap steels, and finally conventional electrics. I now have a couple of good amps that work well as "clean plus pedals". I would like a Mesa transatlantic though. I tried one once, and thought that one of the clean channels was fantastic for slide, very chimey.
the red fender for sure,  then again I haven't tried these out for you, so you should go and do that. 
Quote by Tony Done

Most of us in a forum like this collect guitars, but I go about it the other way around. I don't ask which guitar I like, I ask what style of instrument I'm looking to suit my musical interests, and tonal and aesthetic preferences.  IOW, I'm looking for the right tool for the job in hand.

*raises hand*
i'm a member of the 2 amp 30 axe club.

It isn't like I ignored amps, though. My first one- a Fender HRD- worked for most of what I wanted. But I finally bought an Orange TH30 to scratch my more metallic itches. And on my amp research journey, I have amassed a list of amps to buy.

But guitars and effects always get priority, it seems...

Quote by dannyalcatraz
*raises hand*
i'm a member of the 2 amp 30 axe club.

It isn't like I ignored amps, though.  My first one- a Fender HRD- worked for most of what I wanted. But I finally bought an Orange TH30 to scratch my more metallic itches.  And on my amp research journey, I have amassed a list of amps to buy.

But guitars and effects always get priority, it seems...

most guys i know have a pile of guitars and fx but only 1 or 2 amps. guitars all have different feels and sounds, amps just bring that out. if you get a good amp then it works with all the guitars which i guess is why most guys have less amps than other gear.   have only 4 guitars but 2 amps (well 3 but my Legend needs some work and i haven't gotten around to it and aren't in a hurry)  and a bunch of fx pedals. it's far more ilkely that i'll add to the guitar and fx piles before i get another amp. 
Well, like I implied, I am planning on adding a few more amps to my stable. The Quilter Mach 2 might replace my HRD. The Carvin VM3 and Mesa Transatlantic 30/Royal Atlantic/Triple Crown are going to deliver harder rock tones not necessarily in the Orange's wheelhouse.

Fender's Bassbreaker 45, Peavey's Delta Blues 115 and a Supro of some kind would be the final pieces I could see myself adding at this point.

That's the plan. But plans change. At one point, the HRD was THE plan. Worked for a while, but...

amps take up a lot more room, too.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
One of my reasons for switching to a head & combo with my second amp purchase was exactly the space issue.

dannyalcatraz

I think you could work it both ways. Get an amp, then find pickups that suit it, or get a guitar (pickups really) and find an amp that suits. The first option is easier, but it is more a question of co-evolution, a sort of step-wise process between guitars and amps. The next step for me would be another amp, but its all very hypothetical.