I decided to post this as some people might find this info useful. 

I have a 1996 Jackson SL2 with sharkfins which was also listed as the SL2S in the 1997 catalogue.  These guitars were all fitted with import hadware including a licensed low profile Floyd Rose.  This was the JT580LP model, which is essentially a Jackson branded version of the Takeuchi TRS-PRO.  Made in Japan, and I hear it's not a bad floyd for a licensed copy but when I got the guitar second hand back in around 2003 it had a cheap Chinese Schaller floyd copy installed.  Not only that but the posts were pretty messed up, filed down to shift them, loose etc. as someone obviously did a lousy job trying to get the floyd to fit.

I thought about replacing it with an OFR but the baseplate is quite a bit smaller then the Takeuchi and essentially it would look something like this photo I found online, which I can confirm as I took the German OFR from my 1999 SL1 and checked the fit and it was basically this bad:

After doing some research I decided to order a Gotoh Floyd.  It gets a lot of praise online and is actually about $100 cheaper than the OFR.  The baseplate is slightly bigger than an OFR but is still smaller than the Takeuchi so I knew there would be a gap, but not as big.  It has locking posts that are quite a bit bigger, which would actually work to my favor as the current posts are messed and had to be redrilled anyways. Also, only one of the knife edges tracks so if the pole spacing is not 100% accurate it's not a big deal making it easier for the tech.  When I got it in I was worried about the fit, it looked like it wasn't going to quite fit but I took it to a tech (Gian at Lil Demon here in Toronto, Canada) to see what he could do.

Got it back yesterday (let me know if the images are working):

(Invalid img)

(Invalid img)

It fit pretty well.  Unfortunately the low E bolt didn't quite clear the back of the cavity route so he fit a different, shorter bolt on that one saddle only which you can see in the second pic.  The Gotoh base plate also has a rather awkward sharp edge on the high e side near the knife edge which seems to make slight contact with the cavity.  I will have to see if this effects tuning stability at all over the next few days.  The trem flutters and dives fine and the sustain is great when not using the trem although the notes die pretty fast when doing flutters so I'm not sure if this is normal or because of the sharp edge touching.  I will have to compare this to my SL1.

Super impressed with the action/setup:

(Invalid img)

Overall I'm pretty impressed with this trem so far and the tech did a great job. I was suprised he got it to fit without any routing.  Will have to see over the next few days how the tuning stability is. 

EDIT:  Can't get the images to work.  Here is a link to the album:

https://goo.gl/photos/AEEKQF4jFynRuJmW9
Last edited by risingforce1 at May 25, 2017,
That's the only thing that sucks about a lot of guitars with cheap/house brand/no name Floyd's that are recessed.  The shape of them and the cavity made to fit them make it a challenge a lot of times when you want to upgrade to a quality OFR or Gotoh.  Then when you get it to fit your're left with a hideous gap.  Top mounted Floyd guitars with knock off Floyd's you don't have that problem.  Brands like (Gibson) Kramer that use house branded Floyds on the cheaper models that are the same dimension as an OFR are great for a no fuss clean looking conversion.  Same goes for guitars that come with Floyd Rose Special's.  Most of the guitars are worth upgrading to an OFR (despite what people may claim) and is a no fuss and clean looking upgrade.  Glad you got your's to fit and it doesn't look as bad as the pic in your post.  
nice work, thanks for the information

the flutter should sustain pretty well with the gotoh, if it's hitting the edge of the route then that's not going to help with sustain.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'm just going to add, in case someone wants to do the same mod. You need the 33mm block on the Gotoh to get it to fit properly in a recessed cavity. I read online people complaining that the stock block length is too long and they had to get it machined at I think 42 mm. It's not a problem. You can get the trem in 42, 37 and 33 mm block size. Just order the proper length. Also the trem has a 14 inch radius stock which you can probably get away with zero shimming on a USA Jackson as they have 12-16 inch compound radius fretboard. The OFR has a 10 inch radius which requires shimming to fit the 16 inch bridge radius.

Guitar plays awesome now by the way. Actually better than my SL1 with the setup which is saying a lot as that guitar is a monster.
Last edited by risingforce1 at May 27, 2017,
^ Yeah i was going to say you'd likely need the small one, but I wasn't certain and didn't want to steer you wrong. I think part of the problem of people ordering the wrong block is I don't think it used to be possible to get it in different block lengths. When i ordered one years ago i wasn't offered the choice.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Ahhh. Right. Not surprised. I had to do some searching to find a seller that had different block sizes as an option. They are now out there though.
Ah ok. I actually don't know for sure if they weren't available, or were just very rare and hard to track down, back when I got mine.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?