Privileged White Women Using Stolen Mexican Recipes: What Could Go Wrong?

Page 1 of 3
I used to like mexican food (I went to a mexican restaurant on Monday), but now I realise that by eating their food I have been stealing their culture

From now on I will phone the police every time I see some racist bastard eating non-British food. 
I have nothing important to say
I feel stupider for having read that article
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
Quote by JackSaints
I used to like mexican food (I went to a mexican restaurant on Monday), but now I realise that by eating their food I have been stealing their culture

From now on I will phone the police every time I see some racist bastard eating non-British food. 

What, using an American designed, made in China phone?

You fiend!
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
wow what a waste, they probably had some bomb ass burritos. whoever required them to shut down should be castrated and hung. 
Quote by JackSaints

Kibbles and Bits is an upgrade from British food. 
Quote by TobusRex

Kibbles n Bits sounds like it could be a british food
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by ImNeverSalty
wow what a waste, they probably had some bomb ass burritos. whoever required them to shut down should be castrated and hung. 

Sounds like they closed down due to "social pressure". LOL. 

Reality of the situation, in all likelihood: the burrito business was failing. Better to blame it on all the complaining about bullshit like cultural appropriation than to admit their business was failing. What person would close a successful business for something that stupid? 
Quote by TobusRex

Kibble Palace, motherfucker.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by StewieSwan
Kibbles n Bits sounds like it could be a british food

That was pretty funny  
the writer said the people who own these traditions are already being treated poorly. sounds like a personal problem 
how many movements do you have going on, psychotic ?
I was under the impression that 'cultural appropriation' (probably better labelled misappropriation) was an act in which a stereotypical act or trait associated with a culture was widely spread or misused/overused in the dominant culture of another area which resulted in a diminished sense of identity for the minority residents of the original culture in said area. 

Does a white person making burritos diminish Mexican culture or have I just got this term wrong?

Stealing recipes is a dick move though, but it happens a lot.
It didn't take long to realise
The safest place was not her arms, but her eyes
Where she can't see you
For her gaze, it blisters;
Grey skin to cinders
Last edited by 剣 斧 血 at May 26, 2017,
i saw privilege in the thread title, but i couldn't find any privilege in the article.  
how many movements do you have going on, psychotic ?
Yes I'm sure those Mexican women 1100 miles away were greatly affected by their tortilla recipes being stolen.
Quote by gonzaw
We need to rise up in arms to defend them!

Don't be a limbist, arms is too white male hetero-aggressive.
Kinda like screwing that goat before you kill it to eat makes it Halal.  Yea OK whatever flips your switch brother, 
Quote by slapsymcdougal
What, using an American designed, made in China phone?

You fiend!

I have a deck of playing cards that are European design...American attitude, made in china.   
ImNeverSalty I don't care. It's the truth. The truth is true. If the truth offends people, that's their problem, not mine. 
lol. I wonder if me being puerto rican did the same thing, if anyone would even care. Taco bell's been making a mockery of Mexican food for decades and these two white girls get the axe?
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
 “How would you people feel if I went and spied on your family or  business recipes and took it somewhere else for my own financial  benefit?” Olivia L. from Portland wrote in a Yelp review. “This is  stealing.” 

Exile all the hipsters.  Portland must suck for entrepreneurs. 
Can I just get my gosh darn margarita pls????
Quote by snipelfritz
You lost me at "Lubricate."

I'm raw, like nature. Nature boy. Big jungle leaves are my cum rags.

Sometimes I fuck a bamboo shoot.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Quote by Nelshizzle
 lol. I wonder if me being puerto rican did the same thing, if anyone would even care. Taco bell's been making a mockery of Mexican food for decades and these two white girls get the axe?

The difference is Taco Bell didn't go to Puerto Nuevo, creep on abuelitas to ascertain their secrets, then abscond with them back to the Whiteopia of Portland to profit off of those women's cultural and family traditions.
Quote by gerdner
Mexican isn't a race.

Quote by ImNeverSalty
gerdner tell this to liberals and they will get triggered. 

Not a race, but a core culture and background built off of a fusion of Mesoamerican and Spanish culture.
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy

Quote by ErikLensherr

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
I need some advice.  I just ate a Peking duck pizza.  Should I hand myself in to the police, or just dial 999 and wait for them to pick me up? 

... or should I hand myself in to the Italian embassy?

... or the Chinese embassy?

... and that's before I even get to the Limoncello New York cheesecake ....
Who 'forced' them to shutdown? Article doesnt say.
Quote by Mr E Meat
this is your brain

this is your brain on RT

Quote by Standard_A440
Given that you reside in the shade of the natural light of reason, I will defer doing your homework to you.
Quote by zgr0826
Not a race, but a core culture and background built off of a fusion of Mesoamerican and Spanish culture.

Then the action wasn't racist, was it? And, though the ingredients the Native Mexicans used for their flat-breads (tortillas) were unique to their territory, the technique for making the tortillas was almost identical to the techniques used for making pita bread in the Middle East, or pizza shells in Italy. There is no structural difference between a taco and a gyro. There's not much difference between a burrito and a calzone. Only the ingredients are different. The fact that the women from Portland learned the techniques by talking to Mexican women doesn't really mean anything. They could have just as easily learned the exact same techniques from anyone who knew how to make fried flatbread. It ain't rocket science. 
Quote by gerdner
Then the action wasn't racist, was it? And, though the ingredients the Native Mexicans used for their flat-breads (tortillas) were unique to their territory, the technique for making the tortillas was almost identical to the techniques used for making pita bread in the Middle East, or pizza shells in Italy. There is no structural difference between a taco and a gyro. There's not much difference between a burrito and a calzone. Only the ingredients are different. The fact that the women from Portland learned the techniques by talking to Mexican women doesn't really mean anything. They could have just as easily learned the exact same techniques from anyone who knew how to make fried flatbread. It ain't rocket science. 

The women were hesitant to talk to them, but the Portlanders kept pressing it and then spied through windows. Also, cultural appropriation is a symptom of racism. When you don't care enough about a culture to steal from it instead of doing cultural exchange, you probably have a tendency to look down on others not like yourself, which can then lead to racist thoughts and actions pretty easily.

My Mexican grandma is very hesitant to share any of her recipes, and in fact, she's only told me and my wife any of her recipes so far, and she made me promise not to tell anyone, because it's a family tradition, and it's to be kept only in the family. She'll tell my cousins when she's ready, but until then, I'm going to respect her wishes. What these women did is unethical at best: stealing family recipes, then profiting off of them. That's theft.

Quote by ErikLensherr

Quote by Screaming Dave
I need some advice.  I just ate a Peking duck pizza.  Should I hand myself in to the police, or just dial 999 and wait for them to pick me up? 

... or should I hand myself in to the Italian embassy?

... or the Chinese embassy?

... and that's before I even get to the Limoncello New York cheesecake ....

>saying "peking" in 2017 
Quote by zgr0826
The women were hesitant to talk to them, but the Portlanders kept pressing it and then spied through windows. Also, cultural appropriation is a symptom of racism. When you don't care enough about a culture to steal from it instead of doing cultural exchange, you probably have a tendency to look down on others not like yourself, which can then lead to racist thoughts and actions pretty easily.

My Mexican grandma is very hesitant to share any of her recipes, and in fact, she's only told me and my wife any of her recipes so far, and she made me promise not to tell anyone, because it's a family tradition, and it's to be kept only in the family. She'll tell my cousins when she's ready, but until then, I'm going to respect her wishes. What these women did is unethical at best: stealing family recipes, then profiting off of them. That's theft.

please tell me you're joking
Quote by StewieSwan
please tell me you're joking

First part is a mix.

Second part is legit, mostly.

Quote by ErikLensherr

Quote by zgr0826
First part is a mix.

Second part is legit, mostly.