Hi guys,

I'm in the market for a 12 string,  and theres an older gentlman within an hour of me that has one of these that he says is in great shape.
I've heard these sound good, and were American made.

Any idea on wood and quality/pricing?  I think it's spruce on mohogany.

Any info would be great.  I'm looking at trading him a Seagull M6 in nice shape.

Thanks!

Ryan
12-strings are more prone to deterioration than six-strings, due to higher string tension, so watch out that it hasn't gone banana-shaped. That is, that the action can be got low enough to be playable by adjusting neck relief and saddle height. 

I did a quick Google search, and they don't seem to be worth a lot, less than your Seagull.
rhilllakefield Twelve strings need to be tuned down to D-d if they are to have any hope of surviving to "old age". {"Harmony" guitar seem to be having a resurgence primarily due to nostalgia. They aren't really that good.

If you just want to get something to get your feet wet, (so to speak(, with a 12 string, I'd rather see you hang on to your Seagull, and grab an Epiphone DR-212.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/epiphone-dr-212-12-string-acoustic-guitar  These have gotten all kinds of good reviews, and it would be returnable

Musician's Friend should be having a sale over the weekend. I realize the guitar won't be free, but it's about as close as you're going to get while keeping your sixer. (Which is exactly what you should do).
Last edited by Captaincranky at May 25, 2017,
I have nothing against cheaper made guitars but you have to be extra careful with 12s.  I keep mine tuned a step below standard concert.  You will definately need to lay eyes on it, check the string height at the nut, check for a pulled bridge and sight the neck (bowed or not and relief).
Make the sale conditional on inspection by a tech (guitar shop or luthier). 
Thanks guys. Some food feedback.

I may steer clear of it...partially due to the price imbalance.

Nice enough old guy...but I agree and can guarantee its been sitting tuned right up for 30 years +.

I may look locally.

Thanks again.
I have an Alvaraez 12-string I tried trading in today at Music-go-Round. it's still a good player, but the bridge is showing the first signs of lifting. I'm a major Epiphone fan, and have heard nothing but good things about the DR-212, except for the fact that it is a "pure" acoustic. If not being able to plug it into an amp or PA isn't an issue for you, then the recommendations to get one are good advice. On the other hand, you can find some excellent deals at pawn shops or used gear stores. Hell, even eBay can be a good source for second-hand gear. 

The way I look at getting a new 12-string, or any other kind of guitar, is to first figure out what I want to do with it. If you want a 12-string just to have a 12-string, or if you're just playing at home to amuse yourself, there's nothing wrong with that. And if that's the case, almost any 12 will work for you. If you're doing the solo singer/songwriter or troubadour thing, then you'll probably regret getting a no-pick-up "pure" acoustic. Since you have a Seagull M6 that you're willing to part with, you might want to consider converting it to cash through eBay or Craigslist and then use the cash to get the best acoustic 12-string you can afford with what you get. Or, see what kind of trade-in you can get from a place like Music-go-Round.