Bought those shitty £2 plasticy ones years ago and they're shit.

Have a LP and its heavy. Need something that wont break.

Also could probably do with a new strap. 

Any recs?

Not looking to spend anymore than like £15 on each.
Dance in the moonlight my old friend twilight

Quote by metal4eva_22
What's this about ****ing corpses? My UG senses were tingling.
Strap locks are like sex. When they're good, they're very good. When they're bad, they're still pretty good. Since  £15 is in the general neighborhood of $30, more or less, anything that expensive can't help but be very good. The main issue with strap locks that I've discovered is that not every guitar's strap buttons are identical. The lock has to fit YOUR guitar's buttons, and work with YOUR strap. What works well with mine might not work well with yours. 

This is what I use on both of my electric guitars. $20 should be around £10, more or less, that'll solve your lock and your strap issues, if it works for your guitar, 
gerdner 

Two-in-one too, i'm impressed. Should fit my guitar I imagine. Can always send back if not I guess. 

Diolch yn fawr iawn!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Jim Dunlop and Schaller are great. Can't go wrong with either of them.

If you are to buy straplocks for more guitars in the future, make sure you stick with the same brand. Straplocks from different brands are not compatible with one another.

Not really a fan of straps that have the straplocks built in because how well they work overall varies from guitar to guitar, and they greatly limit you on what straps you can buy.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by Will Lane
I love the plastic ones.

you are satan personified 

Quote by metal4eva_22
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
+1

I've found I need some blue Loctite on the screw threads with Schallers, but having done that they render my straps pretty much as reliable and as convenient as straps can be.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Quote by Nero Galon
you are satan personified 

*I* am Satan Personified (please genuflect, both knees).

But Will is an excellent henchperson, ViceArchDemon of Western Culture.
Last edited by dspellman at May 27, 2017,
If you cn get them were you are at. Lock-it straps. Don't have to fit locks to your guitar. And can be used on any guitar.

All things considered, I prefer simple locks that fasten the strap to the existing button over "systems" that require you to change the buttons. I've also never, ever had a strap need to be replaced, except when I just got bored with it. YMMV
gerdner That's why I like lock-it. Only reason I replaced mine was because I loaned it to a friend that keeps "forgetting" to return it. They're pretty indestructible.
Quote by Nero Galon

Diolch yn fawr iawn!

Mae croeso i chi
Last edited by gerdner at May 28, 2017,
I like Schallers. Pick a brand and stick with it.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
I have Schallers on almost all my guitars.  The only drawback is the screws are smaller than factory screws so you have to shim the hole with toothpicks and glue--no big deal if you're a little handy.

I have a Traveller guitar that has the strap button on the back where the Schaller knob would poke me, so I use Loxx for that guitar.  As a bonus, the Loxx screw is the same size as factory screws so no fuss there.  https://www.loxx-products.com/live/musical-instruments-guitar-strap-strap-locks/music.aspx

Or if you want something cheap and cheerful that will work with any strap, there's this from our friends at Stew Mac: http://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and_Parts/Strap_Buttons/Diago_Twistlock_Secure_Strap_Buttons.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=2017-05-gp&gclid=CJiJm9vmkNQCFQO1wAodl0ALfQ
Quote by Nero Galon
Bought those shitty £2 plasticy ones years ago and they're shit.

Have a LP and its heavy. Need something that wont break.

Also could probably do with a new strap. 

Any recs?

Not looking to spend anymore than like £15 on each.

What are you doing that you need strap locks?
I use these http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/fender-strap-blocks-4-pack

But if your strap hole is gaped, maybe not 4 you.
Those fender locks are overrated IMO. I used to buy Grolsch swing tops and get free beer with my locks
Quote by Liaztraht
Those fender locks blocks are overrated IMO. I used to buy Grolsch swing tops and get free beer with my locks

You're right I will punish myself immediately.
Quote by SpeedSterHR
I have Schallers on almost all my guitars.  The only drawback is the screws are smaller than factory screws so you have to shim the hole with toothpicks and glue--no big deal if you're a little handy.
I managed it easily two or three times, so evidently you don't even need to be handy.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
I have Dunlops on most of my guitars and like them a lot. They're not as easy as other systems to get on the strap, but once they're on, you know they won't come off.
I have Schallers on one guitar and the lock on the strap almost came loose once. Tightened it again and it's fine now.
If I didn't have 6 or 7 guitars with Dunlops already, I'd go Schaller all the way probably. Their buttons are easier to get a hold of separately.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

If you are to buy straplocks for more guitars in the future, make sure you stick with the same brand. Straplocks from different brands are not compatible with one another.

Not really a fan of straps that have the straplocks built in because how well they work overall varies from guitar to guitar, and they greatly limit you on what straps you can buy.

I've had Schaller locks on my HM Strat since 1988 and they haven't failed. I've gone with them on all my Ibanez guitars, but decided to try out the EBMM ones for my EBMM guitars and those are pretty good as well. The EBMM ones have less 'rattle' but their design leaves a little bit of uncertainty on how well they are locked in. With the Schaller, they can be a little noisy but when they are locked, they are _locked_.

And with anything with a bolt/nut, use some sort of thread lock product to ensure they never come loose.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I managed it easily two or three times, so evidently you don't even need to be handy.

Cum to think of it, you don't have to be all that handy to stuff a little wood and squirt some fluid in a hole.  But you're probably handier than you give yourself credit for.
Quote by I K0nijn I
I have Dunlops on most of my guitars and like them a lot. They're not as easy as other systems to get on the strap, but once they're on, you know they won't come off.
I have Schallers on one guitar and the lock on the strap almost came loose once. Tightened it again and it's fine now.
If I didn't have 6 or 7 guitars with Dunlops already, I'd go Schaller all the way probably. Their buttons are easier to get a hold of separately.

I bought a set of Dunlops for a pointy Ibanez whose buttons are between the player and the guitar--didn't want the Schaller knobs poking me.  I ended up switching them for Schallers becuse even though the face is flat, overall they stick out about the same, so it wasn't worth losing the strap compatability with the rest of the fleet.  Sometimes it was hard to tell if it was really locked--especially if some debris got in there.  The coolest thing about the Dunlops was the outside of the button was shaped like a conventional button so you could still use any other strap with them even without the locking mechanism in it.

And yeah, I also had issues with the nut coming off the strap end of the Shaller mechanism.  It only happened in straps with leather ends--the leather would compress over the first several days of use, taking the tension off the nut.  Now I'll let the nut sit for a week after initial installation, then back it off, apply some thread lock fluid, and re-tighten.
Last edited by SpeedSterHR at May 27, 2017,
Quote by metalmingee
Exactly what I was gonna say.

Avid Schaller user/fan w/all of my guitars.
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
I like the Loxx strap locks as they are low profile and work great where the strap button is located on the back of the guitar such as an SG. I put them on all my guitars.

http://tonereport.com/reviews/loxx-straplocks
"It's better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war"
Last edited by Smith357 at May 27, 2017,
Quote by metalmingee

Another good reason to go with Schaller is there are so many cheap knockoffs of the Schaller that are totally compatible.  You can buy the strap side of the mechanism for as little as $5 if you want to have a bunch of straps. 

Also a lot of high-end guitars come from the factory with locking Schallers, so if you ever get one of those, the rest of your guitars will already be compatible.
I've tried virtually all the locks on the market, and keep going back to the simple Grolsch beer washers. 
PRS SC245
Various Strats
Polytone Mini Brute
Koch Studiotone XL
Quilter OD200, 101 Reverb and Mini
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
33db 

Err playing guitar standing up? 

LP style guitars are heavy yo and my straps are breaking.

Quote by metal4eva_22
Quote by Nero Galon
33db 

Err playing guitar standing up? 

LP style guitars are heavy yo and my straps are breaking.

I play an LP copy that's heavy as well.
Yeah that's what I meant by your strap gaping, a good sturdy strap goes a long way to ending problems. (also I never take my strap off)

I asked why because some people like to run around and jump off speakers and stuff, that sort of acrobatics requires a strap lock.
If you're just standing there, a good strap ought to be enough, if it isn't, the rubber Fender rings work fairly well and require no modification of the guitar.

Full disclosure: Once a screw goes into wood, I truly dislike removing it with the idea of screwing it back in, the wood is always compromised to some degree.
But that's just me *shrug*
Last edited by 33db at May 28, 2017,
Quote by 33db
...Full disclosure: Once a screw goes into wood, I truly dislike removing it with the idea of screwing it back in, the wood is always compromised to some degree.
But that's just me *shrug*

Maybe you need to "bulletproof" your guitar:  

I think that's a good idea for pickguard screw holes if you're going to be in and out of there messing with electronics.  Also if I didn't just discard rear trem cover plates, it would be good for those holes too, especially on Floyd Rose gutiars.  And it's definitely good for strap button screws--every guitar I've pulled the screws on have brought out some wood dust in the screw threads.  That's happened with low and high-grade alder, mahagany, basswood, and poplar.  The last pawn shop guitar I bought (Schecter LP copy) had the strap screw holes so stripped out that the srews started slipping out at the store within the first couple of bars of test play--it may be why the last owener pawned it.  There are a couple of dings in it and a bent tuner lock dial, so it probably took a fall or two due to the compromised threads in the strap button screw holes.  Nothing a few toothpicks and superglue couldn't fix, though.

BTW, I ordered straplocks after my MIA Standard Strat (first guitar) fell out of the lower strap the second time I picked it up to start learning to play it.  It was a brand new Fender strap.  I caught the guitar, and one close call was enough for me.  The Fender rings would be good enough, but I like transporting my guitars in their factory cases and the straps don't fit well like that.  It's easier for me to pull a knob and slip off the lock than to pull off the ring, f with the strap/button, and not lose the rings.  Otherwise I think the Fender rings are almost as cool as duct tape.  Which is pretty damned punk rock, if you ask me.  YMMV.
Last edited by SpeedSterHR at May 28, 2017,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

Both brands make excellent straplocks, so it comes down to preference and price.  

In my experience with Dunlop guitar straplocks, I have never been limited in the straps I could use. That being said, they are more difficult to install on thick leather straps, but with strong fingers and/or a pair of pliers, the locks will fit without damaging either the lock or strap. The ends of cheap poly straps are generally pretty thin, so installation is a breeze. The only issue I have ever had with the Dunlop locks was installing the button on my Jackson RR3. I had to drill the hole about 1/8" deeper to accommodate the new screw. I have not had to do that with any of my other instruments though. Your mileage may vary. 

As for Schaller locks, I've never owned them, but I have used friends' guitars with them installed and they worked fine. 
My crap:

Guitars
Jackson RR3T Limited Edition with Seymour Duncan Blackouts (MIJ)
Jackson JS1-X Rhoads
Jackson PDXT with Seymour Duncan Black Winters
Dean Vendetta XM

Amps
Peavey 6505 MH
Carvin 1X12 Cab

Pedals
Boss TU-3 Tuner
Boss NS-2 Noise Gate
Boss DD-7 Delay
Last edited by BlackDeath92 at May 30, 2017,
Jim Dunlops solved my problems. I stick them on all my guitars. Modification will happen period because of junk strap locks that fail.

Also in terms of slippage, Tortex picks solved all my pick slipping problems.
Dean MAB1. Epiphone Annihilation V. EVH 5150III 50. Orange PPC112. Earthquaker devices - The Warden, Arrows, Acapulco Gold, Levitation, Night Wire. EHX Big Muff Pi Tone Wicker. Polytune mini. e906. SM57. Focusrite. LINUX!