Hello

Yes, that's right. I want to write your typical love song. But, which chords should I start with? 

Any good chord progressions would be greatly appreciated.

But seriously, why don't you figure out what kind of chords your favorite love songs use? Use that as an inspiration and write your own song.

There is an obvious one and that's I V vi IV (in the key of G major that would be G D Em C). You could play those chords in any order.

But yeah, the chord progression is really not that important. In love songs lyrics are much more important, so maybe come up with them first and come up with some kind of a melody. Then find chords that would sound good with that melody.

But if you want to start with chords, you don't really need more than basic open chords. Just start with one chord that you like the sound of, then try some other chords and find one that sounds good after the first chord that you played. Most pop songs use progressions that repeat after four chords, so maybe find a good sounding four chord progression. But as I said, the chord progression is really not that important. It's just something to support your melody.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
In before Tom Hess and "how to play solos that give women pleasure".

Seriously though, Mags is right and you should focus on the lyrics.

Also, it's widely known that the guitar getting you laid only works if you're good looking.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
G-Em-C-D play in 6/8 and arpeggiate your chords and you'll win her in no time
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
That's easy, change your chord types to sus2... seriously!

A x02200
B x24422
C x3x03x
D xx0230
E 024400 
F x33022
G 3x023x

You can figure out the rest... sus2 chords swap the 2nd in for the 3rd so they sound right for what you want... soft, ethereal, yearning, fuzzy, mystical, warm, and introspective...  
Quote by reverb66
I'm pretty sure the Bible requires that you play through a tube amp in Texas.
Last edited by PlusPaul at May 29, 2017,
Start with Cmaj7 then Fmaj7 and keep strumming back and forth while looking like you are lost in deep thought. 
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
i've never met a girl worth a damn who cared whatsoever about whether or not i make music, much less that i'm good at it

you want someone who supports your hobbies, sure, but not someone who actually cares about them. your partner is there to keep you humble and give you honest feedback when they need to, so the less invested they are into your guitar playing/career/etc., the better

if you want a groupie, go play some gigs, and you'll see the kind of people you attract

a caveat to this rule would be if she's a musician herself and pushing you to challenge the way you think about music, but i'm doubting that's the case

a second caveat to this would be if you're not actually trying to get laid by playing guitar (which is a terrible idea) and are just trying to get us to write a progression for you so you can throw BS lyrics over it and pretend you're cool in front of your school singing the same song over and over again. if this is the case, ignore everything i've said, you're beyond help, just embrace the douchiness and go to school with a backwards cap, shades, a romper and an out-of-tune acoustic guitar and live your life
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Last edited by Hail at May 29, 2017,
Lots of G chords +...

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by Rickholly74
Start with Cmaj7 then Fmaj7 and keep strumming back and forth ... 
Right. Even better if you start with the Fmaj7:
Learn Red House...

'Cause if my baby don't love me no more
I know her sister will
Yeah. 
Most of the times I mention being a musician, girls think it's cool. That being said, chords don't work that way (there's no chord that makes you more likely to get laid or find a date). A lot of the guys above are pulling your leg and/or joking around (they're not being serious). It's not even recommended you write or even play music for this purpose (do it for your own enjoyment and satisfaction). If you really want your music to be romantic, get better at lyrics and/or write a love song (like there aren't enough of those already).
"I don't know what you're trying to suggest. There's no shame in taking what you need to hold your position!"

Super Buu (DBZ) on assimilation (it could also apply to blues guitar and guitar soloing in general).
Quote by RonaldPoe (there's no chord that makes you more likely to get laid or find a date).

You have yet to behold the immense POWER of the dom7sus4 chord.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
"I don't know what you're trying to suggest. There's no shame in taking what you need to hold your position!"

Super Buu (DBZ) on assimilation (it could also apply to blues guitar and guitar soloing in general).
Quote by cdgraves
Unfortunately you can't just go to Guitar Center and drop $800 on a new personality.

If you can afford to just drop $800, you probably don't need a personality. 

However, I have noticed that if you are playing guitar in a coffee house situation, it often doesn't matter what you actually play so long as between songs you lick your eyebrows. 
Last edited by gerdner at May 30, 2017,