When I play electric, I play a Strat with Texas Special pickups. It's a lovely guitar, but the bridge pickup feels a little harsh and brittle for what I usually do in the bridge position (mostly rootsy open chord stuff--think Tom Petty, Ryan Adams, Jason Isbell w/ the 400 Unit, Jackie Greene, etc.). I'm thinking about eventually having the bridge pickup replaced, but I'm not sure what I'd replace it with.

I'd like something warmer than the Texas Special, with some growl, but with a low enough output that it doesn't overpower the other two pickups. I'm open to a humbucker, but in a perfect world it'd be a single coil so I could keep my master tone pot.

Anyone ever replaced a Strat bridge pickup with something that matches this description?
Death to Ovation haters!
There are lots of good options out there from Lace. Vintage Vibe, Lollar, Bareknuckle, The Creamery, Wilde (Bill Lawrence) and other boutique makers make some killer pickups, but they may be more than you wish to spend.

A Charlie Christian would work, though it is unconventional.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
There are lots of good options out there from Lace. Vintage Vibe, Lollar, Bareknuckle, The Creamery, Wilde (Bill Lawrence) and other boutique makers make some killer pickups, but they may be more than you wish to spend.

At this stage, I think I'm going to steer clear of pricey boutique pickups. Right now I'm looking for something mass produced that I can get from Fender, Duncan, DiMarzio, etc.
Death to Ovation haters!
Then Lace is probably one of your better bets- not quite mass produced in numbers like DiMarzio or SD, but not as pricey as true boutiques.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
The lace alumitone would probably be a good fit.  They are very open with a strong clear low end and have plenty of grunt without the nasal upper midrange.  Duncan vintage flat or vintage stagger (depending on strings and fretboard radius) would be a good option as well.  Duncan vintage have less upper midrange like the 50's strat pickups.
Not taking any online orders.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at May 30, 2017,