Hey all,

I'm quite the newbie when it comes to trying new things in the realm of guitars, but wondered if this is a feasible set-up for a band/recording:

- Baritone Guitar (tuned ADGCEA)
- Seven String Guitar (tuned ADGCFAD)
- Five String Bass (tuned ADGCF)

My questions are; can I drop those F's in the seven string and the five string bass to E's to match up with the baritone's tuning? Will the whole combination sound like mud when trying to make metal/hardcore?

I own the baritone already and am looking to invest in the other two if this idea seems like it has traction and makes sense. Just looking to try something new for myself.

Hopefully you guys can shed some light on it for me. Thank you all very much.
You could drop the F to E...it's just a half-step down. I don't know how having a 7-string would benefit your recording in this case.
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.

justinguitar.com is the answer
bjgrifter I was thinking that it would be easier to play more intricate riffs on the slightly thinner strings of a seven string...or could I just string the baritone up with thinner gauges? I've not owned a baritone before and was worried that using thinner strings would screw up the tension, etc...

If it won't make that much of a difference, that's even better, as I won't have to buy a seven string! Haha

Thoughts?
What do you have now? ADGCFAD is done on a 25.5" guitar by Korn, as an example.

I'm kinda confused on what the goal is:

-A 6-string baritone 
-A 7-string dropped a whole step (ADGCFAD)
-or both

Any scenario also involves a bass.

As a hobbyist, I have my 7-string in standard (BEADGBE) and my 5-string bass at BEADG. 
I also have guitars in Drop C (CGCFAD) and Drop B (BF#BEG#C#). I might go for a second bass in the future to run in 4-string Drop-C, but we'll see.

I'm not coming here as an expert, but a bass is used differently, so it seems a little easier to get away with not being tuned exactly like the guitar. Example: Veil of Maya: Danny Hauser runs a 7-string bass in BEADGBE, while Marc Okubo uses 6-string Drop B or a 7-string F#BF#BEG#C#. 

My unprofessional advice is to stick with one tuning on the guitar and have the lowest strings on the bass match that.
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX

Quote by dannyalcatraz

I'm doing much the same ^^^^^; I have a seven with a 27" scale tuned in standard and the 5 string bass as well.

I have a six-string Variax JTV-89F with a Floyd that will electronically (Variax firmware) tune to virtually anything without changing string tension, including anything downtuned right down *past* baritone, up to an octave in each direction with each string. Nominally, it's tuned to E Standard, but what comes out of the amp can be *very* different.
Thanks everyone. 

I'm thinking now it may be pointless to have both a seven string and a (six string) baritone on the same recordings. 

I'll just stick with the baritone and buy a five string bass, both tuned down to ADGCEA and ADGCE respectively. 

I think my main thing was thinking I won't be able to do more complex, riff-heavy songs (say Every Time I Die, or Norma Jean, for example) on the baritone, as the strings are much thicker, but that's something I'll just have to work around.
Personally, I've grown less anal retentive about precise string tension. I'm able to set up my gear for the results I'm comfortable with. I have a 12-56 set for Drop B and a 10-59 set for 7-string B standard. There is a slight difference in tension, but not anything substantial, and that assumes everything is in tune (I should check that). 

Working with thicker strings just comes with the territory for downtuning. Personally, I go with 10-46 from E-standard to Drop C, heavier after that...on a 25.5" scale. 
Guitar/Bass:
*mods

Amps/FX

Quote by dannyalcatraz

Quote by bjgrifter
Personally, I've grown less anal retentive about precise string tension. I'm able to set up my gear for the results I'm comfortable with. I have a 12-56 set for Drop B and a 10-59 set for 7-string B standard. There is a slight difference in tension, but not anything substantial, and that assumes everything is in tune (I should check that). 

I think most folks are easy about string tension. But in my case, in order to work with a Floyd, keeping string tension pretty much in one spot is important.