Hey Guys!, 

I´m a lefty and searching for an upgrade of my cheap Ibanez guitar. Can you recommend me a good lefty acoustic guitar within the price range from 500 to 1200$? I don´t need electronics but they´re optional.
Thread was moved to forum: Acoustic & Classical Guitar

You'll get a lot more help in here!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
There are a lot of good brands that make southpaws in your price range.  Seagull,  Tacoma, Takamine, LAG, Faith, Cort, tanglewood, Yamaha and many many others.   I'd steer clear of top names like Taylor, Gibson, or Martin because you spend a lot of money for the name on the headstock and better guitars can be found  for less money.  It's not until you get the the upper end of the mid level instruments that the top brands actually give both quality and value for money.  I would also stay away from the guitar brands known for great electrics like Fender and ibanez.  They have some reasonable acoustics but they are again charging as much for the name as the instrument and tend to not be good value for money.

Without knowing details about the sound you want and your playing style we can't make good recommendations for specific instruments.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by CorduroyEW
There are a lot of good brands that make southpaws in your price range.  Seagull,  Tacoma, Takamine, LAG, Faith, Cort, tanglewood, Yamaha and many many others.   I'd steer clear of top names like Taylor, Gibson, or Martin because you spend a lot of money for the name on the headstock and better guitars can be found  for less money.  It's not until you get the the upper end of the mid level instruments that the top brands actually give both quality and value for money.  I would also stay away from the guitar brands known for great electrics like Fender and ibanez.  They have some reasonable acoustics but they are again charging as much for the name as the instrument and tend to not be good value for money.

Without knowing details about the sound you want and your playing style we can't make good recommendations for specific instruments.
Whoa there, not so fast. First, I doubt you're "paying for the name on the head stock", with the Taylor Tony suggested. It's a "Mexi-Taylor:, and also one of their 1xx series..Should you want to spend more though, Taylor offers its entire line left handed, at no extra charge. (So does Martin, IIRC). However, the closest full sized Martin to the Taylor 1xx series, is those nasty Formica gems, the "X" series.

So, while many makers might be talking a good deal about how they, "look out for lefties", it is, mostly talk.

So, with 34 Martins and 13 Taylors on their stocking list, Musician's Friend has the largest list of any left handed acoustics, of the 4 largest dealers on the web: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/left-handed-acoustic-guitars#pageName=subcategory-page&N=500015&Nao=0&recsPerPage=20&v=g&profileCountryCode=US&profileCurrencyCode=USD

Other than the Taylors and Martins, the rest of the guitars are onsies and twosies of the other brands. And also keep in mind, most of those guitars are the obligatory left handed dreadnought with no cutaway. Most makers pump that style out I assume, since they figure can't get burnt building something so ubiquitous.
Here in the UK you can get a left handed solid wood faith guitar with pickup and cutaway for £475.  A taylor 100 series with laminate back and sides, left handed with a cutaway starts at £730.  In terms of quality of workmanship Faith is just as good as any Taylor but the materials Faith uses are far superior to those used in the low end Taylors.  Yes, you are paying several hundred quid for the Taylor name.  Don't get me wrong.  I'm not saying the low end Taylors are bad guitars.  I'm just saying that their pricing isn't competitive with the rest of the market.
CorduroyEW Considering the TS put up his price range in "dollars", in thinking he might be from the colonies too. (Obviously, unless he converted the currency beforehand).

BTW: I don't think we even have "Faith" guitars here in the US.
CorduroyEW Yeah I am a strummer and a singer 
Quote by CorduroyEW

About the sound...I want a guitar that is good for strumming. I often play with a pick. I do like a "woody tone" 
Quote by GuitarRealm
CorduroyEW Yeah I am a strummer and a singer 

About the sound...I want a guitar that is good for strumming. I often play with a pick. I do like a "woody tone" 
I just read your location. You should be scouring www.thomann.de or checking "Crafter's offerings. In fact, you might even be able to try a "Faith" guitar. I've heard a lot about them, but have never seen one so much as advertised.
Faith is Patric Eggle's acoustic brand:
https://www.faithguitars.com

Seagulls are very good value for their price. Their current production of lefty guitars is a little slim, but you should be able to find a used one.
http://www.seagullguitars.com/en/products?q=Left

FWIW, Adirondack has a nice selection of Lefty acoustics:
http://www.adirondackguitar.com/lefty/lh_acoustics.htm
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by Captaincranky
CorduroyEW Considering the TS put up his price range in "dollars", in thinking he might be from the colonies too. (Obviously, unless he converted the currency beforehand).

BTW: I don't think we even have "Faith" guitars here in the US.

The website for the Faith US distributor is https://www.connollymusic.com/  but my point wasn't that the TS should get a faith guitar  (I do very highly recommend them) it was that there are other good brands that give more bang for your buck than low end Martin and Taylor.  That is true just about anywhere, not just the UK.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at May 31, 2017,
Quote by CorduroyEW
The website for the Faith US distributor is https://www.connollymusic.com/  but my point wasn't that the TS should get a faith guitar  (I do very highly recommend them) it was that there are other good brands that give more bang for your buck than low end Martin and Taylor.  That is true just about anywhere, not just the UK.
Not my point either. I just thought you were being a bit too optimistic about what is actually available for lefties. And that's coming from the position of someone who actually is left handed.

I followed your link to Faith's US distributor. You're absolutely correct they're, (ostensibly), available in the US. Their announcement of this is on the following page of the site: https://www.connollymusic.com/faith-guitars-usa The notice was posted Nov 17, 2105. Still, the brand hasn't gained any significant traction over the past year and a half. When I searched Muscian's Friend for "Faith Guitars", the results I got were for "Faith Hill" sheet music...

In short, I may be able to find Faith guitars here in the US, but more than likely the brand is at a smaller dealer(s), and more than likely price protected. Although arguably, with the crash of the Pound Sterling, the prices might exchange equally pound for dollar, should I find them here in the US.

Assuming I could see, hear, or buy one, and get a lefty model, I could be persuaded to buy one. I guess we'll have to wait and see if they catch on this side of the pond.

Some of this is moot, since the TS is in Germany anyway. (My mistake). That's likely "Crafterland", or perhaps Faith's reach extends that far. American brands don't fare very well in bang for the buck, when exported to Europe, or the UK. If you want a real hosing, try ordering a Carvin sometime...
Last edited by Captaincranky at May 31, 2017,
Where are you located? That would influence the choice, in relation to price and the fact that warranties are the importer's responsibility. I have not had good experiences with the latter here in Oz, which is why I favour Taylor. The neck is very easily and cheaply reset in the event of the action going bad - which happened to me with a not-cheap Martin J-40.
GuitarRealm I've been playing lefties for 40 years, and there are many options available now that were non-existent when I had to switch from righty to lefty (after losing three fingers of my left hand in an accident) 40 years ago.  I had been playing rightie for ten years prior to that, so at the time, I simply restrung my Guild D25M to lefty, but I always tried out any new lefties whenever I was in a guitar shop.  I also use my guitars mostly for strumming and singing.  All that being said, I play a Taylor 114cel, and am happy with it.   Another guitar I tried recently that impressed me was a Blueridge BR-40.  These guitars, while made in China, are forward X-braced(based on pre-war Martins) and have a better bass response than the Taylor 114cel, which doesn't have the boom that I like on the bass strings.  The BR-40 is below the low end of the price range you're looking at-about $450.  Seagulls are nice, and have a woody, deep sound when they're brand new-but that's due to their cedar tops.  Many of the Canadian made Godin Group acoustics(Seagull, La Patrie, Simon & Patrick, Art & Lutherie, etc.) use cedar tops.  It's said that cedar will not 'open up' with age like a spruce top will.  IDK-but just something for you to be aware of.  Another consideration is a used lefty.  There's many out there-but you have to look.  You can get a better quality instrument at half price.  eBay's an option-but a risky one.  As much as I dislike Guitar Center-check out their website-there's many used higher end lefties out there in your price range, and they 'absorb' the shipping cost between their locations across the US at no additional cost to the advertised price(but you can bet it's included in the price somewhere).  I just noticed a Martin D16 w/case n NH for $850.  If the name doesn't matter to you, and if you don't want to go the used route-I'd try out a Blueridge if you have a dealer nearby.