My first "premium" bass guitar. The Bongo: 

Also my first 5 string. Picked it up used for $1000.  This thing has massive tone and the 18V active preamp gives it amazing flexibility although I like how it sounds flat mostly. The B string has the perfect amount of tension. Doesn't feel loose or floppy at all.  It weighs a reasonable amount and is well balanced, comfortable to play sitting or standing. Not what I expected, considering how weird it looks. This one was built in 2013. It has a fair amount of nicks and dings but the front of the body is nearly flawless aside from the scratched up pickguard. None of that concerns me.

There was one issue, though. The neck had quite a bit of forward bow and truss rod was already tighten to the max. Maybe that's why it was sold. Not wanting to return it nor did I have any cash left to see a tech I decided to try and fix it myself. Using the clamp and blocks trick I saw in a Dan Erlewine video I got to work. I was a bit nervous because it was my first time attempting something like this but I was successful! The bass is now strung up with new D'Addario NYXL strings which I'm also trying out for the first time. Currently the neck has a bit of back bow. I'm letting it sit for the day while tuned to pitch before I start adding some relief.

So what do you guys think of the Bongo? Is it an ugly toilet seat or do you enjoy the weirdness like I do?
Yup.
Last edited by Coach Potato at May 30, 2017,
^toilet seat jokes aside, I've always loved the sound of a Bongo.  My old bass teacher had one and I loved playing it when I had the chance.   That's a beautiful color as well. 
The Bongo works for John Myung, so it must be good.

HNBD!  Enjoy it!
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Sweet bass!  HNBD!
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.

justinguitar.com is the answer
awesome
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
When I was younger I wanted a Bongo. I thought my tastes had changed a bit but you just brought it roaring back. Grats, mate, happy, NBD!
I'm still waiting for the John Myung Signature six-string Bongo bass.  It should've been out by now.  Get off of the dime, Ernie Ball!
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
The best sounding toilet seat in existence.

My buddy keeps telling me how nice his is, but I'm yet to try one.

You've set my GAS for one off however.

Absolutely beautiful.

HNBD.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Great score! I would be really careful about that neck though, might actually save you a few bucks in the long run if you get a professional to set it up the first time. Cranked truss rods are never a good sign. 
Strandberg Boden 8-String Ibanez RG2228
Fender HM Strat ESP Horizon-II Five-String Bass
Roland TD-30K Mesa Boogie Mark V:25
EVH5150III 50-Watt Yamaha Motif Rack XS
Access Virus TI Snow Polyend Perc Pro
No worries, I got the neck issue straitened out (pun intended). Saved me a few bucks and I learned a new skill.
Yup.