I'm buying my first electric guitar. Someone is selling a brand new Retrorocket X for $100. The style I listen to is that of John Mayer, Jeff Buckley and the likes. Can the guitar produce the kind of sound I'm looking for?
( My fear is that it might just be a rock/metal guitar)
Have a couple of Ravelles. Fernandes tends to use pickups that are on the hotter side in order to cater to the metal crowd.

The Retrorocket is a bit of a poser: a Stratclone from a metal-centric brand. Some of the versions are what you'd expect- hot-Rrdded Stratclone; the DG version was loaded with David Gilmour EMGs. But the X uses "vintage" singlecoils, so I'd expect it to be a pretty Stratty guitar.

Might not be the cleanest sounding budget Stratclone, though.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Can Fernandes Retrorocket X produce a blues sound?

It can if it just done lost its baby.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

dspellman

I got a good chuckle from that one!
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Quote by dspellman
It can if it just done lost its baby.

Literally the correct answer here.
So should I buy it? I don't have more than $100 to spare.
How do you think it'll compare to squire affinity?
Last edited by frankgangmei.fg at May 31, 2017,
Honestly, I don't know. I love my Fernandes guitars, but have no hands on experience with their X models.

Thanks. I've only read good reviews about it though. And the guy is throwing in a Roland cube 15x for $20, so I'll consider it.
Sounds like a decent deal to me.

If you can afford it, have room for it, why not? A guitar is a guitar, it's just a tool.
And as far as the blues sound: Does it make noise? If the answer is yes, then yes, it can make blues sounds.