Good Afternoon,

I recently turned my Peavey Vypyr Tube 60 Combo amp into a head. Now im on the lookout for good cabinets to match. Preferably a 2x12. I have been looking into the Mesa 2x12 but I heard it was really boomy on the low end. I'm pretty lost when it comes to cabinets. All i know is that anything with Celestion V30's is good.

Any recommendation?

Thanks
Aside from differing dimensions, closed back cabinets are constructed essentially exactly the same as one another. As long as it's plywood, it's going to be fine for gigging. Getting one with some fancy brand on it that costs over $1000 isn't going to make you sound any better if the cab dimensions, the thickness of the plywood and the speakers are the same.

The Orange and Mesa cabs are known to be really good. I like the Orange ones in particular because their oversized closed back 2x12 shares the same dimensions as their 4x12 but literally cut in half. This makes the cabinet react more like a 4x12. Most 2x12's (like the Mesa Rectifier) are a little smaller. The British-made Orange cabs are also built like tanks. There are cheaper Chinese-made open back Orange 2x12's with V30's in them, but they aren't as well built and you really want a closed back cab if you're going to be doing lots of metal and hard rock.

Also know that the V30's in the Mesa are UK made while the V30's in the Orange are Chinese made just like what all the other cabinet brands get. But the UK ones are not objectively any better sounding than the Chinese ones and nor is the build quality any better.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
T00DEEPBLUE So as long as its a closed back it probably going to sound pretty good? I've also been looking at getting the Peavey 2x12, but i have heard bad things about those.
Blckspawn Depends on what Peavey 2x12 you're looking at. They make a lot of cabinets.

Closed back cabinets are nothing more than wooden boxes with speakers in them. There's really nothing to their construction at all. Speakers matter a huge amount obviously, and cabinet dimensions make a difference too (generally when it comes to closed back cabs, the larger they are, the more bassy) and it's good to get a cabinet made with thick plywood so that it's tough and acoustically dead. Theoretically you want the cabinet to be as acoustically dead as possible to minimize losses in speaker efficiency at all frequencies, caused by the vibrating cabinet cancelling out the energy from the speakers due to newton's second law. And that's done by simply stuffing foam inside the enclosure to absorb energy, making the plywood really thick and the cabinet really heavy in weight.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
T00DEEPBLUE Well really the only thing that i have been looking at was their 2x12 extension cab, but i cant really find a review on it.