Hello guys,

I managed to get around 1600$ CA (roughly 1200$ US) to spend on a good amp head. I need something with decent cleans and great crunch, and I get most of my distortion from pedals. I play stuff that ranges from psychedelic (think pink floyd) to punk/grunge and even metal sometimes. I was thinking some kind of Marshall. Any advice?
Last edited by Frank_18 at May 30, 2017,
How many watts are you looking for?

Marshall will do, I personally have never liked the cleans out of the JCM series.

I'm usually not an advocate for Mesa, but honestly it'd do everything you want so it could be a smart buy.  You can easily pickup a dual or tripple Rec below your range on Reverb.  I've never owned one, but I have friends who opted for them because it provided them the most diversity in terms of cleans crunch and drive with quality and no breaking the bank.

That said, I vote Orange.  My TH30TC (less than a grand on Reverb) was plenty loud, killer cleans, and enough crunch to satisfy most.  I got a really nice Doom Metal tone out it.  If you want to go balls out metal you'll need some pedals, but that's what you like anyways.  The catch is it is picky on the pedals from my experience, particularly digital FX sounded like crap.  You can find 50W Thunderverbs for 1200 on Reverb and it's a tone machine.
"I definitely don’t write all my music in a blackout, like I used to, although I did come up with some good stuff in a blackout."
-Matt Fucking Pike
If you can get the distortion from the pedals, you should look for an amp that does the Pink Floyd cleans. Marshall cleans are nice but noting near Pink Floyd cleans. Maybe try to look for a used HiWatt if you can find one for that price.
Quote by Badluckpalms
How many watts are you looking for?

I'm usually not an advocate for Mesa, but honestly it'd do everything you want so it could be a smart buy.  You can easily pickup a dual or tripple Rec below your range on Reverb.  I've never owned one, but I have friends who opted for them because it provided them the most diversity in terms of cleans crunch and drive with quality and no breaking the bank.

I'm looking for something loud enough to play in small clubs but can be used at home and in band practice.

The only problem with the Rec is the lack of mids. I play a lot of punk and grunge, so I need an amp with good mids. That's why I was considering Marshall.
Quote by Badluckpalms

That said, I vote Orange.  My TH30TC (less than a grand on Reverb) was plenty loud, killer cleans, and enough crunch to satisfy most.  I got a really nice Doom Metal tone out it.  If you want to go balls out metal you'll need some pedals, but that's what you like anyways.  The catch is it is picky on the pedals from my experience, particularly digital FX sounded like crap.  You can find 50W Thunderverbs for 1200 on Reverb and it's a tone machine.

I don't know much about Orange, but I'll see if I can try one at my local store.

Thanks for the advice
Frank_18 I guess it sort of depends on what tone you're looking for.  Saying punk and grunge depends on higher presence of mids is sort of like saying Metal has to have scooped mids  I've seen countless number of punk bands play the rectifier series Mesa's too know that they are worth a second look for you.

That said, I stand behind the Orange, seriously one of the best amps I ever owned and you will absolutely get your punk and grunge tones out of it.

Another recommendation would be the Marshall JCM900 50W.  Awesome amp, many people consider it to have nicer cleans than the 800 (still nowhere near the plexi tones though) and more lower volume gain to tap into (800 needs to be cranked, 900 you have a bit more "control") - The nice thing about the 50W is you can get more tube saturation out of it and hence higher gain tones when you crank it.  For all those reasons the 900 was a staple in pop-punk for a long time.   
"I definitely don’t write all my music in a blackout, like I used to, although I did come up with some good stuff in a blackout."
-Matt Fucking Pike
Seconding the Orange TH30. Got myself one for Christmas. Haven't gotten to use it at home, but did play it in store. It brings it.

The iscontinued Mesa Transatlantic TA30 and Royal Atlantic RA100 heads are both under $1000 on Reverb.

Carvin's Vai Legacy 3, V3, and V3M all offer killer cleans and can dirty right the hell up.very versatile, very affordable.

Quilter's Mach 2 is a non-modeling SS amp that has killer cleans and can definitely get into Marshall territory. Takes pedals like a champ.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!