I really want a JCM2000 DSL 50 watt head w/ a 4x12 cab but the practicality of owning a halfstack and moving it around isn't really making me fond of one. Now, recording a 4x12 would be kick ass.

I'm looking for something with nice cleans(it doesn't have to be pristine fender cleans), can play overdriven stuff and can play some pretty high gain stuff, like the Marshall head. I was looking at the Peavy 50 212 but I'm just worried it won't sound as full as a half stack and if it won't do high gain stuff.

Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated.
I like guitars, never mind, I'm kidding, guitars are really lame.
Carvin's Vai Legacy III, V3, or V3M would be good options.  
Mesa Transatlantic TA30s and Royal Atlantics are dropping a little in price since Mesa released the Triple Crown.
Quilter's Mach2 is a quality non-modeling solid state option.

Do you already have the 4x12, or are you also looking for a cab?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
DSL40C.
www.facebook.com/yourbadinfluence
Just get a 2x12 cab and the head you want. More portable that way, and easier to carry than a combo. I just traded my 4x12 for a 2x12 and wow! What a difference. Lighter and tighter sounding. Nearly breaking my knee moving a 4x12 finally convinced me how stupid it is. And not even necessary for great sounds.

What is your location and budget? That would make recommendations easier. Any reason you want that Marshall in particular?

Also look into the jet city Amelia. Since I don't know your budget I chose the cheaper end
Last edited by Liaztraht at May 31, 2017,
My location is SoCal and my budget is $1000 tops.
musicofainur1 If used is fine and if you have a gc near by to ship it too...

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Marshall/JCM-2000-DSL50H-Tube-Guitar-Amp-Head.gc

Looking through 2x12 cabs though there is too many used options to sort sort through. But plenty within budget.

Not sure if it's a good price though. I don't normally look at Marshalls. But guitar center has a good return policy.

They also have multiple dsl100 for less
Last edited by Liaztraht at May 31, 2017,
Quote by musicofainur1
My location is SoCal and my budget is $1000 tops.

For just a head or head + cab?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Get the head you want and a 212 cab. You can always get a second 212 cab if you want it and retain portability.

Speaking of the head, have you played it and are set on it or do you want suggestions on alternatives?
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
dannyalcatraz
Anything. I don't mind going a little higher. The Royal Atlantic you suggested looked and sounded sweet to my ears.
metalmingee
I'm down for suggestions. I would be fine with any 2x12 combo suggestions too.
8Len8 The correct answer.

Also, the only way to get something to sound "full" is with volume. At least in a room, anyway.
musicofainur1  Just a heads up that 212 combos can get really heavy.  I had a Peavey 5150 212 and have a Mesa Roadster 212 and they are both 98-100 pounds but are closed back cabinets.  I also had a Randall RG 212 combo and that was probably around 60 or so pounds but open back and solid state.  

Any of the older Mesa's would probably work well for you - F-50, Stiletto, something from the Express line.  I bought the Roadster because it covers just about everything really well and sounds good quiet and loud.  

Check out Budda too.  I'm a big fan of their SuperDrive 18 for rock / Marshally stuff.  

If you are going to be moving this stuff around look for a head and 212 cab unless you find a really sweet deal on the combo.  Put casters on the 212 combo if it doesn't come with them.  
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Also, the best way to go for practicality is a head and cab for most applications. For gigging or for home use. Everything else is just about how much space you have.
I got a Mesa Mini Rectifier and a 1x12 Jet City Eminence cab. Great match, sounds awesome. Can push more power if you get a 2x12 instead. There are also some micro EVH and 6505 heads that sound pretty good but are not 100% tube path, Laney IRT series (I think there's a 30 watt studio and 40 watt rackmount), Marshall DSL40C is also a good option. Carvin V3, V3m are not bad, H&K Tubemeister although I think not 100% tube path is also not bad.
If you want the JCM DSL 2000 50-watt, get one.  Just maybe get a 2 X 12 oversized cab instead of a 4 X 12.  That said...4 X 12 cabs are really not bad if you use your brain when moving them.  The only time mine is carried is when I pick it up and go either up or down my stairs.  It doesn't move an inch beyond that until it's on my dolly, which is a lightweight, foldable dolly that barely takes up any space in my car.  The last time I played a performance, I had one of my 10-year-old, 80-pound students roadie my cab into the auditorium for me.  He didn't have any trouble whatsoever.  The cab outweighed this kid by a good 25 pounds.  No problemo.

Anyhow, a nice oversized 2 X 12 can sure sound nice.  But, I've got to admit, my 4 X 12 sounds pretty amazing too.  In California, I think you could probably find 4 X 12s even cheaper than 2 X 12s, as everybody seems to be trading-out for the 212s these days.

A couple other amps to check out would be the Peavey JSX and Mesa Royal Atlantic at the higher end of pricing (both used, of course).  Both of those amps have amazing cleans and a range of awesome drive tones, and are extremely reliable.  The RA was originally an $1800+ head, but they're going for around $1000 used currently, because it was replaced by the new Triple Crown.  But if you pick one up for $1000, you'll be getting one HELL of a good deal on what I consider to be a boutique amp.  I plan to get one next year, hopefully. 
Last edited by KailM at Jun 2, 2017,
Got it a while back ๐Ÿ˜

Tubes rattle a bit it but when I crank the volume on an OD pedal, the tubes shine.

Tubes are great, never going back to solid state. ๐Ÿ˜Ž ๐Ÿ˜
Got it a while back ๐Ÿ˜

http://imgur.com/a/yOpKo

Tubes rattle a bit it but when I crank the volume on an OD pedal, the tubes shine.

Tubes are great, never going back to solid state. ๐Ÿ˜Ž ๐Ÿ˜