Page 1 of 3
After 2-3 years of playing electric guitar because my community neighbours are old and deaf, this 20 year old skin-head renting a room, yes a room, across the road, turns up to my house and tells me to turn it down. What is it with today's youth? Next thing you know he will be telling me to go to Church on Sunday and wear a shirt and tie to work. I wanted to say, dude, your 20, not 65. I am like 41 and rocking on. He is 20 and dying young. Oh the irony. I am going to turn this thing up to lvl 11 and blow his faux grey hairs to Mars. Send some cotton ear buds in the post. Buy him a beer and show him what it's like to get pissed drunk or smoke a joint or something. What's going on with this world? You now start your life as if you are Winston Churchill and then gradually turn into Alice Cooper by the time your 50? Isn't it supposed to be the other way around?
Dean MAB1. Epiphone Annihilation V. EVH 5150III. Orange PPC112. Earthquaker devices - The Warden, Arrows, Acapulco Gold, Levitation, Night Wire. TS9, DD3, GE7, NS2, LS2, Polytune mini, Small Stone. SM57. Focusrite. LINUX!
what you need is a new amp 
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

k.lainad I have 15W lunchbox amps and went to 50W. It's on the lowest settings.
Dean MAB1. Epiphone Annihilation V. EVH 5150III. Orange PPC112. Earthquaker devices - The Warden, Arrows, Acapulco Gold, Levitation, Night Wire. TS9, DD3, GE7, NS2, LS2, Polytune mini, Small Stone. SM57. Focusrite. LINUX!
OddOneOut Nah, I can't say that. Just a skin.
Deermonic why are you playing so loud it can be heard from a different building across the road? That sounds like a lot of hearing damage heading your way.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

Quote by OddOneOut
Deermonic why are you playing so loud it can be heard from a different building across the road? That sounds like a lot of hearing damage heading your way.

Yeah, I gotta second this.  I've got a 50 watt Mesa Rectoverb and can really crank it to the point it hurts my ears and it's barely audible from outside (tested with a looper pedal).
Have you tried being considerate of others?

Have you also tried getting off my fuckin lawn?

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
If you like playing your shitty guitar at volumes that neighbors can clearly hear and have to tell you to turn down, I think it's time to invest in a nice soundproof room to play in. Possible underground. Somewhere nobody else has to hear it.
Quote by institutions
If you like playing your shitty guitar at volumes that neighbors can clearly hear and have to tell you to turn down, I think it's time to invest in a nice soundproof room to play in. Possible underground. Somewhere nobody else has to hear it.

He's not obligated to turn his volume down if it's already at a reasonable level and it's not past 10 p.m. or before 8 a.m. no mater how shitty his playing is. The skinhead should move the fuck out. 
If he's playing it consistently and loudly enough that the neighbors complain multiple times, then yes he is in the wrong.
He's not obligated to turn it down, but his neighbors aren't obligated to not call in noise complaints to the local police.
Quote by institutions
If he's playing it consistently and loudly enough that the neighbors complain multiple times, then yes he is in the wrong.
He's not obligated to turn it down, but his neighbors aren't obligated to not call in noise complaints to the local police.

Like I said, if it's at a reasonable level and between those hours he doesn't have to do shit. I've been through this before where people will complain to the cops about "loud guitar playing", but since it was in the afternoon or early evening I didn't have to do anything.  

Really, if your home all day and you get pissed because you can hear somebody across from you practicing their instrument then go take a walk in the park or something. 
No just the once after 2-3 years of playing. However I did upgrade my amp to a 50W on low settings.

I have found a solution. New amp has a headphone output. So I shall try that.
Quote by ImNeverSalty
Like I said, if it's at a reasonable level and between those hours he doesn't have to do shit. I've been through this before where people will complain to the cops about "loud guitar playing", but since it was in the afternoon or early evening I didn't have to do anything.  

Really, if your home all day and you get pissed because you can hear somebody across from you practicing their instrument then go take a walk in the park or something. 

Just because he's not obligated by law doesn't mean it's not the right thing to do.  It's called not being a shitty human being.  There's no reason to have your amp set so loud that people can hear you across the road when you're just practicing at home.
across the road is a little much.  Are you pointing a 4x12 out a window at him?  I would expect the guy below or above you if your in an apartment to cry about it but damn you said across the road.  
Last edited by Gosss at Jun 1, 2017,
Funny how TS is complaining about a young kid when TS is the one that is acting childish here. TS, you're in the wrong and you're at least kind of a butthead. I don't know you well enough to say how much so I'll say "kind of" and leave it at that. If you are playing loud enough that people can hear you across the street, you're playing absurdly loud. I've played in metal bands where from the next floor up or immediately outside you can hear it at a level that is no louder than a person speaking and that is without soundproofing. So unless you have your guitar amp facing out the open garage door pointed towards their house, I don't know how they can even hear it unless you have your amp turned up like all the way.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by Deermonic
After 2-3 years of playing electric guitar because my community neighbours are old and deaf, this 20 year old skin-head renting a room, yes a room, across the road, turns up to my house and tells me to turn it down. What is it with today's youth? Next thing you know he will be telling me to go to Church on Sunday and wear a shirt and tie to work. I wanted to say, dude, your 20, not 65. I am like 41 and rocking on. He is 20 and dying young. Oh the irony. I am going to turn this thing up to lvl 11 and blow his faux grey hairs to Mars. Send some cotton ear buds in the post. Buy him a beer and show him what it's like to get pissed drunk or smoke a joint or something. What's going on with this world? You now start your life as if you are Winston Churchill and then gradually turn into Alice Cooper by the time your 50? Isn't it supposed to be the other way around?

Lives across the road? You could probably turn it down a bit, not for him but for your ears.
It all depends on where you live I have had the police tell me to turn down during the day before when I was younger.

Edit: my current neighbors like to crank their stereo and rumble my house to the point that I can here it thumping over my T.V. now this is in the evening when everyone is trying to relax. I had asked them once if they would mind turning it down to which they replied " we're not breaking any laws" unbeknownst to them I own a 120watt Peavey 6505+ half stack which I only ever play at neighbor friendly levels.

I proceeded to go into the house open the windows in my jam room, put in some ear plugs and turn the volume on 4 (which is insanely loud through a 4x12) I stepped out into my hall out of direct line of fire and cranked out some metal riffage for about an hour. When I was done the house next door was silent and pretty much has been ever since.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Jun 1, 2017,
Quote by Evilnine
It all depends on where you live I have had the police tell me to turn down during the day before when I was younger.

You bought a guitar to punish your ma....
theogonia777 You don't know me at all... let alone well enough. Go back to your broken crystal ball and try again. I didn't call you names, but hey I can make up stuff too. Let me see... you can't play to save your life if someone can't hear you across the road at loud volumes in an open setting. Playing metal and it sounds like someone talking? What metal are you playing? My little pony doom? I could say the fact they can hear me at such low volumes on a 50W says plenty about my ability throw my sound out there without even hitting my tube screamer. So put that in your pipe and smoke it XD

Read the OP. 1-2 years no problem. Then a problem. Anyway I can solve it no problem. I have to say lots of people here seem to be getting out of the wrong side of bed. My suggestion is to throw out your 5W solid states and get yourself to a tube amp to hear what the daddys are talking about.
33db It has to do with atmospheric changes. 

The temps and humidity is up which means more moisture in the air reduces air density which means the speed of sound is greater than if it was dry air. This has explanatory power behind why no complaints in the winter or spring, but once the humidity went up the sound was audibly louder than what they were used to hearing.

Simple explanation that every experienced amp user through various climates learns about. One I didn't foresee but get it. Guess science at university helped. Angry forum users, not
Last edited by Deermonic at Jun 1, 2017,
Quote by Deermonic

I have found a solution. New amp has a headphone output. So I shall try that.

See guys, what TS needed was a new amp.
Spinnerweb I have several amps. What I need for now is a headphones out. I found out what the problem was. Humidity outside. See above.

Done. Thanks to all who helped.
Quote by Deermonic
33db It has to do with atmospheric changes. 

The temps and humidity is up which means more moisture in the air reduces air density which means the speed of sound is greater than if it was dry air. This has explanatory power behind why no complaints in the winter or spring, but once the humidity went up the sound was audibly louder than what they were used to hearing.

Simple explanation that every experienced amp user through various climates learns about. One I didn't foresee but get it. Guess science at university helped. Angry forum users, not

*eye ball roll*
Quote by Deermonic
theogonia777 You don't know me at all... let alone well enough. Go back to your broken crystal ball and try again. I didn't call you names, but hey I can make up stuff too. Let me see... you can't play to save your life if someone can't hear you across the road at loud volumes in an open setting. Playing metal and it sounds like someone talking? What metal are you playing? My little pony doom? I could say the fact they can hear me at such low volumes on a 50W says plenty about my ability throw my sound out there without even hitting my tube screamer. So put that in your pipe and smoke it XD

Read the OP. 1-2 years no problem. Then a problem. Anyway I can solve it no problem. I have to say lots of people here seem to be getting out of the wrong side of bed. My suggestion is to throw out your 5W solid states and get yourself to a tube amp to hear what the daddys are talking about.

Definitely more than kind of a butthead.

Look, this happens all the time. Someone comes to the Pit with a petty problem where they are clearly at fault looking for people here to agree that they are actually in the right, which they erroneously believe. But as stated, they are always in the wrong and so instead of people here reinforcing their false belief that they are doing nothing wrong and the other person is wrong, people tell them that they are the one that is the problem rather than the other guy. The person gets mad that people are not taking their side and start attacking people.

Happens every time. You're just proving that you're immature by getting mad at people telling you that you are at fault when the rational and mature thing to do would be to say, "wow, people are siding with my neighbor so maybe I am should reevaluate the situation and consider changing something on my part," instead of having a fit over people not taking your side.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by Evilnine

Edit: my current neighbors like to crank their stereo and rumble my house to the point that I can here it thumping over my T.V. now this is in the evening when everyone is trying to relax. I had asked them once if they would mind turning it down to which they replied " we're not breaking any laws" unbeknownst to them I own a 120watt Peavey 6505+ half stack which I only ever play at neighbor friendly levels.

I proceeded to go into the house open the windows in my jam room, put in some ear plugs and turn the volume on 4 (which is insanely loud through a 4x12) I stepped out into my hall out of direct line of fire and cranked out some metal riffage for about an hour. When I was done the house next door was silent and pretty much has been ever since.

I wish a neighbor would do that. Unbeknownst to you I am a DJ with about 10,000 watts of class D power. Couple of 2000 watt 18" subs, several 1000 watt 15" PA speakers (the kind they use in venues when guitar amps aren't loud enough), and that's just my active speakers. If I pull out the passive speakers and power amp, forget it. I got enough sound to fill a midsized venue of maybe 5,000 people. And my buddy who loves shenanigans has a garage with enough speakers to fill a stadium with sound. You get in our direct line of fire and your house will only have walls on three sides.
theogonia777 You could have just said 'seeking validation' instead of writing me an essay. Thanks for your input but no thanks.

The humour of the original OP seemed to go by you like A flock of seagulls.  I'm not mad or angry. I'm laughing. You are projecting a way too much of yourself into this thread if you see anger. Well art is what you bring you to it. Being mad doesn't change my situation. Emotional responses don't impact my amp or science, which was the key to solving/explaining this.

I didn't attack anyone. See your first post here for the original ad-hominem injection. You just couldn't take as good as you gave. I can Hence why I get better at guitar for it.
soundgarden1986 1/10 of dirt channel and 4/10 on clean on a 50W.
Gosss Turn up my dehumidifier. It would be great if there was one that could do that to the climate outside too.
Quote by Evilnine

yeah, it depends on the neighbours. some of the neighbours here make enough DIY noise (one day it was so loud i was practising bass and couldn't hear my bass over their DIY noise ) that if they did complain about my guitar playing (i do play quietly), i'd politely point out that they're making far more noise than me. and if that didn't work, do what you did. It's very annoying that some noises seem to be acceptable and some aren't.

if your neighbours are considerate, though, and you're annoying them with your guitar noise, then you're in the wrong.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Dave_Mc This is a good point. There is building work going on around here, hence one of the reasons I am playing in the first place. I think he just had a shitty day and decided to take it out on me. After all this time and nothing and then this. Having said that the sound is probably going out there more than when I did my outside test in January. I will probably have to do another sound test.
theogonia777 
Quote by theogonia777
I wish a neighbor would do that.  Unbeknownst to you I am a DJ with about 10,000 watts of class D power.  Couple of 2000 watt 18" subs, several 1000 watt 15" PA speakers (the kind they use in venues when guitar amps aren't loud enough), and that's just my active speakers.  If I pull out the passive speakers and power amp, forget it.  I got enough sound to fill a midsized venue of maybe 5,000 people.  And my buddy who loves shenanigans has a garage with enough speakers to fill a stadium with sound.  You get in our direct line of fire and your house will only have walls on three sides.

If this is my dad is bigger than your dad stuff, then my Earthquaker Acapulco Gold makes all of that look like a cassette playing Walkman even at its lowest settings. And no, I didn't have it on at the time XD
Quote by Deermonic
Dave_Mc This is a good point. There is building work going on around here, hence one of the reasons I am playing in the first place. I think he just had a shitty day and decided to take it out on me. After all this time and nothing and then this. Having said that the sound is probably going out there more than when I did my outside test in January. I will probably have to do another sound test.

yeah. i mean, if there's a lot of other noise, then it's a bit unfair to just blame you.

on the other hand, don't assume that because this is the first time he's mentioned it that he's just having a bad day- he could well have been pissed for ages at your noise, and today is just the straw which broke the camel's back. if he'd complained the first instant you'd made noise, you'd also probably have been annoyed, and maybe he's already been giving you a lot of leeway (for example, we haven't complained to our neighbours about the diy noise).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Deermonic
theogonia777 You could have just said 'seeking validation' instead of writing me an essay. Thanks for your input but no thanks.

The humour of the original OP seemed to go by you like A flock of seagulls.  I'm not mad or angry. I'm laughing. You are projecting a way too much of yourself into this thread if you see anger. Well art is what you bring you to it. Being mad doesn't change my situation. Emotional responses don't impact my amp or science, which was the key to solving/explaining this.

I didn't attack anyone. See your first post here for the original ad-hominem injection. You just couldn't take as good as you gave. I can Hence why I get better at guitar for it.

I mean, you're the one that has to justify being inconsiderate to your neighbor. And if you weren't bothered by the incident, you wouldn't be telling people about it. If you are genuinely amused and laughing because you are bothering your neighbor and came here to brag about it, that's even worse and you're like some kind of mega butthead. The key is that your amp is too loud for no reason other than because you want it loud. The non-butthead thing to do would be to turn it down.

And I don't buy that "my dirt channel is only on 1" junk. 1 o'clock maybe. Or maybe you have your master volume cranked. I've never played an amp where you can't play it quietly enough that, in a room with the windows and doors closed, it is inaudible outside. So if your neighbor can hear it, either you're playing a lot louder than you are trying to claim to us or you're playing with the doors and windows open or a combination of the two. And don't blame humidity for it because that's garbage, especially if you were actually in a closed room.
Page 1 of 3