I've always wondered why bassists usually put on a high C string instead of a high B string, just like a guitar. I couldn't find anything on Google or in this forum, so please excuse me if this question has been asked too many times already.

EDIT: Also, what does HNBD mean?
Last edited by FunnyPocketBook at May 31, 2017,
The main reason for a guitar to be tuned that way is to make it easier to play certain chords. On bass, that doesn't apply so much so it can stick to a more symmetrical shape (all fourths).
HNBD means 'Happy New Bass Day!'
Actually, they started with the guitar tuning.  Fender's Bass VI was originally tuned just like a six-string guitar, just lower.  The modern six-string bass came about largely due to Anthony Jackson's specs for the Carl Thompson-made six-string Contrabass, and it works so well that bassists have stuck with it.  But like guitarists, plenty of bassists use all sorts of tunings.  Hell, Michael Manring uses a four-string Hyperbass with de-tuner levers at both the bridge and tuning gears, and he'll change the tunings a dozen times in a single song!

"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by FunnyPocketBook
I've always wondered why bassists usually put on a high C string instead of a high B string, just like a guitar. I couldn't find anything on Google or in this forum, so please excuse me if this question has been asked too many times already.

EDIT: Also, what does HNBD mean?

It's because Hi C is so good for you.

HNBD is either Happy New Boner Day or Happy New Bass Day, depending on whichever...