I've never liked active pickups and every guitar I've owned before my recent Schecter had passive pickups in them. Mostly Seymour Duncan (which I thought were amazing). My newest guitar has active EMG 57/66 in them and I love these. I never thought I would find an active set that I actually enjoy. They are ridiculously good and don't have the "compressed" type of sound that most of the others give off. The cleans on the bridge pickup are beautiful. I heard they only last 3000 hours before i need to switch the 9V battery though. 

What will these sound like when they need to be replaced? Like fuzz or something similar? 
 This seems like a question for google or the search bar...

Active pickups contain a preamp which has a clean headroom proportional to it's supplied voltage. Most batteries output voltage decreases as they drain. Hence, partially used batteries may output less than 9v. This will result in a more compressed sound, and eventually might even induce clipping somewhat. It probably won't sound very good when it does this. The frequency response will also change, and overall output will be decreased.
When the battery is completely dead you will either get no sound or very, very low output.

Some people run active pickups at 18v for a cleaner less compressed sound. This might not be necessary on the 57/66 though.
RIP Gooze

cats
mulefish Thank you for the explanation, I'll make note of the sound changes and clipping. Google only seems to be good for sex related advice. 
Quote by ImNeverSalty
mulefish Thank you for the explanation, I'll make note of the sound changes and clipping. Google only seems to be good for sex related advice. 

I think we need to see the record of your search topics...

I've got guitars with active pickups that do NOT say SD or EMG on them that sound just wonderful...