I have a chance at a gig just playing in the back of a restaraunt and it's been so long since I considered doing this that I don't remember what I used to charge. It's alone and I'll be sticking to playing keys quietly in the corner while people drink and talk. I just need an hourly rate to tell this guy and I should be good to go.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated

Also inb4 tree fiddy, drugs and favours
Questions:

What's the location of this bar? Do they tend to have expensive guests? Are you trying ta sell yourself short here, or are you tryin to GET IT?
tree fiddy one
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy
Quote by The_Blode
^ I'm sorry your highness I forgot that I'm subhuman. . .

Quote by ErikLensherr
Normani
Normani
Normies
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Fat Lard
Place is kind of upscale, I know the owner and I know he's trying to appeal to the more refined with a semi prohibition era vibe, so wank supreme.
As for me, I'm kind of hoping for steady work here because I 1. Like money and 2. Wouldn't mind something non-intensive.
Quote by Pastafarian96
Fat Lard
Place is kind of upscale, I know the owner and I know he's trying to appeal to the more refined with a semi prohibition era vibe, so wank supreme.
As for me, I'm kind of hoping for steady work here because I 1. Like money and 2. Wouldn't mind something non-intensive.

!!!!!

Alright, here's what you do: Seeing as the normal rate for pianists is around $30/hour, which is about $40 Australian dollars, but... you know this guy... I'd ask for fiddy 

set it at a flat rate where it's something like $250 for 3 hours, or $250 for 2 hours, or what have you. Worst that would happen is he'll haggle you down to something lower than that, but be professional in demeanor and dress, and it'll probably be a fair gig.
Quote by Fat Lard
!!!!!

Alright, here's what you do: Seeing as the normal rate for pianists is around $30/hour, which is about $40 Australian dollars, but... you know this guy... I'd ask for fiddy 

set it at a flat rate where it's something like $250 for 3 hours, or $250 for 2 hours, or what have you. Worst that would happen is he'll haggle you down to something lower than that, but be professional in demeanor and dress, and it'll probably be a fair gig.

This sounds extremely fair tbh, and if he lowers the price I'm still doing pretty well for a solo gig.
And yeah, I always dress nicely for jobs, no matter where I am.
make sure you tune the piano without telling him and then bill him for it
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 
Quote by K33nbl4d3
make sure you tune the piano without telling him and then bill him for it

I wish that could happen except I have to supply my own damn piano, which will be digital.
Tell him $100. If he doesn't blink, then say "per hour". If he still doesn't blink, say "That includes an hour travel time". If he still doesn't blink, say "Plus mileage". 
Fat Lard has already given you great advice, so I'll just say:

Play quietly for the longest time, then suddenly kick it up playing Crocodile Rock so you can turn the restaurant into a dance party like happens in the movies.
I took Fat Lard's advice and I managed to get a nice and tidy $60 for the first hour and $40 for the ones after that and I should be doing 4 hour nights every few weeks. As well as that I got to see the place and it's actually pretty nice and the concept behind it is pretty different for around here which I really admire, especially as it will be one of the only establishments in this town that won't have clientele that will ostracise people for their sexuality, race etc. which in this city is something I'm kind of proud to be a part of.

Quote by Spinnerweb
Fat Lard has already given you great advice, so I'll just say:

Play quietly for the longest time, then suddenly kick it up playing Crocodile Rock so you can turn the restaurant into a dance party like happens in the movies.

Crocodile Rock, that was the Elton John Song I was trying to think of earlier lol
Quote by Pastafarian96
I wish that could happen except I have to supply my own damn piano, which will be digital.
bring a normal piano, tune it and bill him for it
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan
i asked for just £15/hr to play guitar in the background of a hotel bar/restaurant. he only asked me in once. i then told him normal wage (£around 7.50) is ok, provided he gives me free food and beer. that worked for a while, recently they have decided they can't pay me anything anymore. you're lucky to have that job, negotiate high and see what he says, but remember it's not easy to keep things interesting for an hour so you have the right to ask for good money.
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
Quote by K33nbl4d3
bring a normal piano, tune it and bill him for it

That would require me having a piano to do that with
And moving it on to a second floor room with only one entry

Fuck. That.

EDIT: also due to the nature and intended atmosphere of the environment, I will be playing a great variety of instruments.
I should buy a mic and stand now I think about it
Last edited by Pastafarian96 at Jun 1, 2017,
Quote by Pastafarian96
That would require me having a piano to do that with
And moving it on to a second floor room with only one entry

Fuck. That.
get together a team of expert criminals and piano movers to steal a priceless antique Steinway concert grand and help you get it up to the second floor, tune it and bill him for the tuning and the piano
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan
Quote by K33nbl4d3
get together a team of expert criminals and piano movers to steal a priceless antique @

There's an oxymoron

Steinway

EDIT: at least antique Steinways are a bit better than most other antique pianos, and actually worth something
Last edited by Pastafarian96 at Jun 1, 2017,
Pastafarian96
i like steinway
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan
Three dollars and fifty cents...

Tree fiddy
K33nbl4d3
The old ones (pre-WWII) were in their heyday astounding and exceptional instruments
Ever since then you're really paying for 150 years of PR and a fancy decal on the front and the soundboard.

I will admit, as much as I dislike their grand sound, the sound of a Steinway upright (so massively, massively overpriced) is fucking gorgeous to my ears.
Americans always made the best sounding pianos imo, the Europeans are a bit muddy sounding and Japanese pianos tend to have a more pure sound, which can easily be interpreted as boring. Chinese pianos are in their own league and even the highest end ones have issues (Hailun probably the best quality but inferior to most other brands in many respects), not to mention aesthetics (http://www.lmpiano.com/en/ probably the only Chinese piano that sounds like a real piano to a player/owner however that square grand piano).
Quote by Pastafarian96
K33nbl4d3
The old ones (pre-WWII) were in their heyday astounding and exceptional instruments
Ever since then you're really paying for 150 years of PR and a fancy decal on the front and the soundboard.
well the one i've played is definitely prewar so i guess that explains that
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan
Quote by K33nbl4d3
well the one i've played is definitely prewar so i guess that explains that

I have touched (not played, it was out of tune and no one could be bothered) the oldest known Yamaha piano in the world
It literally sits in the small foyer of the piano tuning school I went to and you can Yamaha-san's imitation of breakthrough innovations from American builders like Steinway and Mason & Hamlin like the Steinway style pressure bars.
It's quite pretty for an out of tune, out of regulation museum piece.
Quote by Pastafarian96
It's quite pretty for an out of tune, out of regulation museum piece.
that's what they say about me
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan
Actually extra point, it had sconces (candle holders) on the front board which I am skeptical about being original because they seem far too neat for 1902, especially for something that would have to have been cast from brass and the kinds of markings made in some of the parts are extremely difficult to make without a milling machine, which not have been readily available in 1902 Japan
I clicked on this thinking you were offering to pay for advice.

I was only planning to charge you tree fiddy!
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

I went to a restaurant in Oakland that I've been to before, and for some reason began to listen to the background music while waiting for dessert. It was a solo guitarist playing jazz, and I sort of got lost in figuring out what the chord changes were. My wife poked me, asked what I was thinking, and I told her. She said, "Well *ask* him." "What?" "The guitar player." "What do you mean?" "Well, he's sitting right back there, at the entrance to the women's rest room." "HUH?"

Sure enough, there was a guy with a Johnny Smith and a bowtie and a Fender something or other (small) amp, and it turns out he's been there every time I've been in the place and I never realized it.

When I was a young thing, I played a lot of supper club solo things on a Hammond B3 and a Fender Rhodes; lots of old show tunes and standards. Eventually graduated to the Gypsy Lounge (I was underage to be working alone, but no one really realized it), where I got quite a following of older single ladies, to the delight of the bar business. We established the ToastedMistresses Club after 11pm, where I alternated sappy love songs and risque modifications to ancient standards and filled glasses and tip jars while they sang along.
Last edited by dspellman at Jun 1, 2017,
Quote by Pastafarian96
I have a chance at a gig just playing in the back of a restaraunt and it's been so long since I considered doing this that I don't remember what I used to charge. It's alone and I'll be sticking to playing keys quietly in the corner while people drink and talk. I just need an hourly rate to tell this guy and I should be good to go.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated

Also inb4 tree fiddy, drugs and favours

Do you get tips? All I can offer is start higher than what you expect, haggle a little.
Quote by dspellman
Hammond B3 and a Fender Rhodes

I am currently beyond jealous

33db
I don't expect tips so I haggled my way to almost the price of a full band for just me successfully.
Forget about an hourly rate. It takes you just as much in time and effort to move, set up and tear down whether you do one hour or four hours. Set a rate for the night based on how many hours it is. The idea of $50 an hour is pretty steep and for $200 a night you better be really good.I don't know many single performers in my area (and there are some excellent ones) who can get that kind of money. Most get anywhere from $125-150 for 3-4 hours (the really great ones with a following might do $200 but that's rare).  Also as you said you would like it to be a steady thing not just a "one shot" so you want to be a little more accommodating on your price for a steady weekly gig. In the end it's what you are willing to take. Also think about your competition (and you know they are out there) and what they would take to do the job. I suggest maybe saying "I'll do it for X amount now and if you want me to do it on a regular basis we can work out something". Give the place a better break for a steady gig. 
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Jun 1, 2017,
Dude are you ryan gosling from la la land, if so don't play any of that jazz nonsense, stick to Christmas songs alright
Rickholly74
Be aware that this is AU$ which means I'm getting around $150 US.
Also again, this guy knows me and knows I'm what he's looking for, which in a city with an extremely narrow minded, repetitive and cathartic music scene, is not something that walks in every day. I'm one of the only people that will pick up a mandolin and play something that isn't Australian folk music, one of the only bluegrass banjo players (literally the only person at the local conservatorium that owns one) and possibly the only accordionist who will play proper classical accordion arrangements.

Which admittedly sounds like I have an extremely high opinion of myself, but I have looked for other people and I have heard of literally one person within 50 miles that can play lap steel, and this is the home region of someone of the most famous country musicians in this country.