Page 1 of 2
I've been practicing on a shitty Gibson Maestro acoustic and I've been planning on buying a Squier Tele or Strat. I'm not sure which would be better for a novice like me. Not a total beginner, know quite a bit of guitar.
What artists do you like?
What budget?
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.

justinguitar.com is the answer
bjgrifter I'm a pretty big Radiohead fan, but Metallica has grown on me since I've been practicing riffs from them. My budget wouldn't be on anything below $200. $200-$300 is about what I'm going for.
A strat with an HSS pickup configuration might be a good way to go. If you're not averse to used, a CV Squier or even an MIM/ Mexico made Fender Strat could be within reach.
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.

justinguitar.com is the answer
I'd go some form of telecaster, based on mechanical simplicity. Why torture yourself with a cheap tremolo?

But since there was mention of learning Metallica...
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Well a HSS Stratocaster would be more versatile than the Tele but it's all up to you.  The amp provides the bulk of the tone but that humbucker in the bridge position really helps with the heavier music.  

I picked up a MIM (Made in Mexico) Fender Strat for $230 that included a Fender Hardshell Case.  There are deals out there.  If you are in the USA, check out Guitar Center's online Used section (where my Strat came from), Reverb.com, and the local Craigslist.  
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Also might want to look at a Yamaha Pacifica. Unless their QC has dropped lately, they're decent quality start clones around the price range.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
SpectrumPulse yo let me know if you want to get rid of the acoustic ill take it off your hands. how much you want for it. and to answer your question i would choose the strato. it was easiest for me. any way get a hold of me by email @jacobtyr74@gmail.com so we can talk price for your guitar.
Honestly, I think the better option here than either SS, SSS or HSS would be to go for something with only humbuckers. We've got two bands named, and I don't know much about Radiohead, but I know they've used their fair share of humbucker-equipped guitars, and it's definitely the more appropriate option for Metallica. I think something like an Epi G400 - a relatively average-output humbucker guitar - would serve better than an HSS, where you're still wanting for a decent bridge singecoil sound or a decent neck humbucker sound.

Out of the two in the OP I'd vote Tele because, as Danny pointed out, there's really not much to go wrong even on a relatively affordable one, but either are perfectly good choices with plenty of good models in the price range.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
K33nbl4d3 I've heard some good and bad things about Squier Affinitys. Some say they're a great economical alternative to Fenders and some say they're junk and you're better off getting a real Fender. They look good to me though.
Quote by SpectrumPulse
K33nbl4d3 I've heard some good and bad things about Squier Affinitys. Some say they're a great economical alternative to Fenders and some say they're junk and you're better off getting a real Fender. They look good to me though.
Well if you want my two cents, Affinitys are absolutely serviceable for a beginner, but I believe you can do a lot better even just by shifting up to the higher-end Squiers - the Vintage Modified and Classic Vibe ranges.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Just spit balling here but, I bet a VM or CV squier would probably hold your interest until you upgrade, doubtful that an Affinity will. Personally I don't think you would be in the wrong with either a tele or strat, I have a Vintage Modified Tele and its freakin' awesome, and I have a 93 Squier strat that is also awesome. I haven't seen any Bullets or Affinity's that I felt like buying, but that's just me.
Flying in a blue dream
Telecaster, it is simple and is capable of a wide variety of tones.
For $200-$300 budget and being located in the U.S. I'd check into finding a used MIJ Jackson, it's a buyers market for the Japanese Jacksons and if you find one that has not been abused they average $350 give or take, I just picked up a near mint DK2M for $240 w hard case and a brass big block that I had just sitting around collecting dust.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Since you already decided to go Fender, GO FENDER ALL THE WAY. Go 100% single coils. If you want humbuckers, go Gibson or Epiphone.
Quote by SpectrumPulse
nbafinalsa Fuck off bot. Finals aren't worth watching anyways since the Spurs are out.

Spurs definitely got bitten by the injury bug at the wrong time...

Another vote for an HSS strat of some kind, with a coil-tap if you can get one. That will give you the most variety, and the humbucker will help when you are doing Metallica songs.
My Current Mains
- 1996 Fender Jag-Stang with EMG Pickups
- 1998 Fender Jaguar with Cool Rails
- 1982 Hondo Paul Dean II (DiMarzio Super II X2)
- 2010 "Fender" Jazzmaster (Home built)
- 2013 Squier VM Bass VI (stock)
Quote by gerdner
Since you already decided to go Fender, GO FENDER ALL THE WAY. Go 100% single coils. If you want humbuckers, go Gibson or Epiphone.
Obviously HSS works for a lot of people but yeah for my own experience, I find half and half setups to be annoying. It's like having half of two guitars and when you're playing one you want the other half of it and don't have it, and vice versa. And I'm not convinced by the "it's more versatile" idea, really. It can do a certain set of sounds (i.e. those done on a bridge humbucker, usually distorted) somewhat better than singlecoil-only setups, and it can do a certain other set (i.e. those done on a neck or middle singlecoil, or both, usually clean) somewhat better than humbucker only setups. That leaves you with bridge singlecoil and neck humbucker sounds that it's missing, which are different sounds again that you can't very easily fake. I feel like the idea that it's more versatile relies on the assumption that humbuckers are necessary for distortion and singlecoils are necessary for cleans, and neither statement is really true. I don't think you gain more than you lose with that setup In any case I still think HH (maybe with coil splits) may well be a better option here but certainly if it were me I'd go SS or SSS rather than HSS. That said, it's not me, so not my call to make

Quote by Tony Done
in hardtail, or deck or block the trem.
Yeah, this is worth drawing attention to I think because tremolos on Strats came up as a
potential complication earlier in the thread. Hardtails are simpler, but a traditional Strat trem such as that found on most Squier Strats is very easily decked and rendered effectively a hardtail.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at Jun 1, 2017,
Quote by SpectrumPulse
K33nbl4d3 I'll probably use an Affinity for a few years and then I'll upgrade to a Fender. Thanks for the info.
Honestly man, if you have any electrical skills you can pick up a used squier strat for super cheap. Check out the squier forum, they were super helpful to me in restoring my original squier and they can tell you what to look for to get the best squier. They introduced me to rose pickups. they are hand wound, and custom made to what you want to sound like via your requests. For me I replaced the bridge/tremolo with a fender trem, I replaced the pickups, and i purchased a completely wired switch, knobs off a MIA fender strat already wired. trem and switches are easy to find on ebay.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
I'd go some form of telecaster, based on mechanical simplicity. Why torture yourself with a cheap tremolo?

But since there was mention of learning Metallica...

And what the hell totally off topic but I found it searching for telecaster metallica....
Does all her covers in latex cat suits.
SpectrumPulse I'd get at least a standard or deluxe if you get a squire, better pick-ups. Squire also has a hot rails model which has double coil pick ups which would probably be better for metal/heavy rock.
Quote by SpectrumPulse
33db lmao. More proof that some women will pursue a hobby just to gain the interest of guys.

Jokes on you.  That's not a woman.
Quote by SpectrumPulse
SpeedSterHR It's a trap!

But seriously, how could you tell?

Just guessing from my own observations: Adam's Apple might be unusually large for a female.

I'm not convinced one way or the other. Doesn't matter to me, though- fetish gear does nothing for me anyway.

Quote by SpectrumPulse
SpeedSterHR It's a trap!

Video description:

"Latex Lover & cross dresser 最後のサビで一瞬別の曲と間違えて弾いてしまいました。"

I have no clue what it says in Japanese, but the English was the first indicator.  Second indicator was the second comment:  "sean king don't get fooled that's a guy"

That explained the face cover.

Back to guitar:  My only regret with my Squier Affinity is it only has 21 frets, not 22.  Not a huge factor on Enter Sandman because that one goes up to the 24th fret anyway (I just play it on the 21st fret pre-bent a step and a half), but usually I'll break out my Ibanez RG for that song.  But there's all types of songs (ranging from the Arctic Monkeys to Foghat) that use the 22nd fret and either slide to it or have bends on it, so it can be a pain (or sometimes impossible) to simulate the 22d fret with a pre-bend on the 21st.  

The "Standard" series of Squier Telecasters and Stratocasters have 22 frets for about $250.  So do the Chinese built Fenders (Modern Players) for about $500.  

It's enough of a hassle that I ended up getting a third Strat, configured with the same type of pups as I have in the Affinity (Duncan Jazz & Invader).  The modded Squier was my #1 for years (over an American Standard SSS Strat & other much more expensive guitars) but now the new 22 fret American Strat with the Duncans has replaced it as #1.  I'm tempted to send the Squier neck out to a luthier and replace the fretboard with an ebony board with 22 medium tall stainless frets, but then the only original/unmodded bits left on the guitar would be the neck screws/plate and the output jack plate.  And that alone will probably cost more than the ridiculous amount of $ I've already dumped into it over the years (I could have bought an American Highway 1 with that money, but I still would have needed to do all the same mods--except I would have 22 frets at least).

If you prefer Teles, then go for it.  Just know that it's going to be harder to add humbuckers if you ever want them.  Also unless it has the brass "barrel" saddles, a single coil mounted in the ash tray bridge, and a metalic neck pickup, it won't truly sound like a classic Telecaster.  IMHO, even my Mustang (with plated brass barrel saddles) sounds more like a classic Telecaster than an does an actual Telecaster with a modern bridge.  Finally, be aware that it's far easier to immobalize (and/or eventually upgrade) a trem in a Strat than it would be to retrofit a Telecaster with a Strat bridge.  Sure, you can easily add a Bigsby bridge, but that's better suited for rockabilly than for metal.

Just my $.02 after 10+ years with a 21-fret Squier.
Latex Lover & cross dresser

Well, if you're going to make it EASY, what's the point? Key difference between men & women: women actually understand the allure of mystery.

Quote by SpectrumPulse
Cause no woman would put in the effort to appeal to guitarists looking for that kind of thing on YouTube when she could go after someone with a job.

Quote by SpeedSterHR
If you prefer Teles, then go for it.  Just know that it's going to be harder to add humbuckers if you ever want them.
True enough. 

Quote by SpeedSterHR
Also unless it has the brass "barrel" saddles, a single coil mounted in the ash tray bridge, and a metalic neck pickup, it won't truly sound like a classic Telecaster.
I disagree. It needs a Tele bridge pickup to get a Tele bridge pickup sound and it needs a Tele neck pickup to get a Tele neck pickup sound, sure, but the bridge can vary without ruining that sound. Plenty of Teles have been produced over the last 60-getting-on-70 years with brass or steel saddles, three of them or six of them, etc. and while there are differences, generally as long as the bridge pickup is right they can do "that sound" just fine. One of mine has a Bigsby and Jaguar bridge and it still sounds "like a Tele". One of my favourite sounding ones I've played had the early '60s threaded steel saddles.

Quote by SpeedSterHR
Finally, be aware that it's far easier to immobalize (and/or eventually upgrade) a trem in a Strat than it would be to retrofit a Telecaster with a Strat bridge.  Sure, you can easily add a Bigsby bridge, but that's better suited for rockabilly than for metal.
I basically agree, although the Strat bridge isn't very much suited for metal either. It has a bit more range than a Bigsby but it's about as likely to go out of tune if you do anything dramatic on it.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
Quote by SpectrumPulse
I've been practicing on a shitty Gibson Maestro acoustic and I've been planning on buying a Squier Tele or Strat. I'm not sure which would be better for a novice like me. Not a total beginner, know quite a bit of guitar.

You self-identify as a novice. When you say "Not a total beginner, know quite a bit of guitar", could you be more specific? Most acoustic players I've known who know "quite a bit of guitar" know most of the first position chords, have some idea of barre chords higher on the neck, and might know some scales. They're also good at flat picking, strumming, and maybe finger picking. But, they're often don't know the fret board above fifth very well, they're no used to bending, and not familiar with improvising leads from their knowledge of scales. That's not an insult, it's just an observation. That's the main difference between an experienced acoustic guitarist and an electric guitarist. 

I notice every response in this thread focuses on the obsession modern guitarists have with TONE, while no one addresses the most important aspect of playing guitar, TUNE. You can have the most killer TONE in the world, but if you play out of tune, with lots of wrong notes, you'll sound like shit. And, if your tone is adequate, but isn't 100% identical to some guitar god's tone, if the notes are right, you'll sound pretty good. So, to answer the question "Which is better for a novice, Telecaster or Stratocaster?", I'd say, "The one with the neck what you feel most comfortable playing". You're already accustomed to a certain "feel" to your guitar neck. If you like that, then find a guitar with a similar feeling neck. I saw a graphic once of all of Fender's different neck profiles. There are lots of them. Find the one that feels best in your hands. Then concentrate on TUNE, not TONE.  

There isn't an electric guitar made that cannot be used for any genre of music with the right combination of amp and pedals and the careful adjustment of the adjustment controls. There are guitars out there that look great, and sound great when someone else plays them, that you could find very unpleasant to play because the neck just isn't right for your hands.  
Quote by gerdner
I notice every response in this thread focuses on the obsession modern guitarists have with TONE, while no one addresses the most important aspect of playing guitar, TUNE. You can have the most killer TONE in the world, but if you play out of tune, with lots of wrong notes, you'll sound like shit. And, if your tone is adequate, but isn't 100% identical to some guitar god's tone, if the notes are right, you'll sound pretty good.
As far as being in tune, that is definitely what the discussion of tremolos - the bit directly above your post, for example - was about There's only so much to be gotten wrong in that regard, though, and a hardtail only really has two things that can throw it out of tune - usually the nut, sometimes the string trees*. Also bad restringing, but that's a skill rather than a feature of the guitar. There's really not much to discuss on that topic here because whatever you buy in this price range there's pretty much always a chance the nut will be sketchy, but it's relatively easy to address.

*Yes, it's possible for it to be the tuners, but it's pretty much never the tuners.

Quote by gerdner
I saw a graphic once of all of Fender's different neck profiles. There are lots of them.
In all fairness, the vast majority of Fenders and Squiers, (probably nearly everything below Fender's Classic Series models in price) use more or less the same "Modern C" profile. I think the Affinitys might have a slightly narrower neck (I could be getting that mixed up though, as I know the bodies are a tad thinner), but besides that you won't find very much variation in that regard between Squier models.

Quote by gerdner
There are guitars out there that look great, and sound great when someone else plays them, that you could find very unpleasant to play because the neck just isn't right for your hands.  
Totally. Knowledge and opinions for this sort of thing can be helpful, but if you know your way around a guitar well enough to bash out a few chords and licks and see how they feel, then probably you can go down to a guitar store and judge better than we can whether a Tele, or a Strat, or something entirely different, is more suitable for you.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
Page 1 of 2