Page 1 of 2
I'm getting tired of buying my coffee out, I did a little math to help motivate me and:
2.25 a day x 5 days a week, 52 weeks a year is almost 600$'s that's a new MIM strat....

So I'm browsing coffee makers and wondered if anyone here has a suggestion for ways to brew, brew machines, filters etc.
Ideally something easy to do.
What say ye Pit?
I've got a Keurig.  Kcups aren't the cheapest, but you can get one of those reusable cups and it works great.  Depends how much you drink though.  I only have a big cup in the morning.  If you  drink a lot, a normal coffeemaker with a carafe may be a better option.
Quote by drdoom8793
I've got a Keurig.  Kcups aren't the cheapest, but you can get one of those reusable cups and it works great.  Depends how much you drink though.  I only have a big cup in the morning.  If you  drink a lot, a normal coffeemaker with a carafe may be a better option.

I thought about that because it looks convenient but I think I might go the whole bag o beans grind your own route, so that requires a grinder AND a brewer.

Do you like the coffee that comes out of that thing?
I take it instant coffee would be too much of a step down?
It didn't take long to realise
The safest place was not her arms, but her eyes
Where she can't see you
For her gaze, it blisters;
Grey skin to cinders
If you only want to make a few cups at a time, a French Press is excellent. Nothing beats the good old Mr. Coffee for a full pot. K-cup gadgets are overpriced and undervalued. Best results come from buying whole bean coffee and grinding it yourself.

I prefer dark roast beans. The taste is stronger, yet the caffeine content is lower. Roasting removes caffeine. Your taste might be different.

Additives are evil. I like my coffee like my women, pure, natural, and able to fill large cups.
Quote by 33db
I thought about that because it looks convenient but I think I might go the whole bag o beans grind your own route, so that requires a grinder AND a brewer.

Do you like the coffee that comes out of that thing?

I'd say its on par with your run of the mill coffee pot.

I will say, the best coffee I've ever had was made from fresh beans->course ground->into a french press.  But that's a lot of work for a daily cup.  I might go that route for saturday morning or something.
Chemex is a very forgiving manual method that produces consistent clean cups. Get a scale and burr grinder, you'll be good to go.

"Every day I wonder how many things I am dead wrong about."
Quote by 剣 斧 血
I take it instant coffee would be too much of a step down?

Use that now, those little starbucks packets, I want something tasty.
aeropress with a nice little electric grinder
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Quote by 33db
This ones a contender..
http://www.aeropress.com/

I got my father that as a set up for xmas one time and he's been really happy with it. he's a huge coffee fan who always has lots of different beans to drink and he's constantly experimenting with brewing setups, yet the cheap ass aeropress has impressed him much more than fancier and more expensive setups.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
i have keurig coffee machine and i use those k-cups, pretty affordable when i need a quick caffeine fix early in the morning or whenever 
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

I use a CuisinArt espresso machine. It can also do regular cups of coffee. it isn't perfect but it only costed me around $200 and makes damn good coffee. 
Quote by gerdner
If you only want to make a few cups at a time, a French Press is excellent. Nothing beats the good old Mr. Coffee for a full pot. K-cup gadgets are overpriced and undervalued. Best results come from buying whole bean coffee and grinding it yourself.

I prefer dark roast beans. The taste is stronger, yet the caffeine content is lower. Roasting removes caffeine. Your taste might be different.

Additives are evil. I like my coffee like my women, pure, natural, and able to fill large cups.

slippery slope

soon you'll be buying beans from all over the world and creating blends trying to find the best taste you possibly can lol

plus a french press is a bit of a pain in the ass to clean

worth the effort though

Turkish coffee. Also called Bosnian or Greek. It dominates households here because it's quick, simple and tastes good.

Ideally you nees a turkish blend and a cezve / ibrik / džezva (type od pot). Realistically you can make it in any pot as long as you have the right coffee, although it's not gonna be as fancy.

Also it's not recommended for people who like to drown their coffee in milk and sugar. Both only work in small amounts in my opinion and the taste of coffee still dominates.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Quote by JamSessionFreak
Turkish coffee. Also called Bosnian or Greek. It dominates households here because it's quick, simple and tastes good.

Ideally you nees a turkish blend and a cezve / ibrik / džezva (type od pot). Realistically you can make it in any pot as long as you have the right coffee, although it's not gonna be as fancy.

Also it's not recommended for people who like to drown their coffee in milk and sugar. Both only work in small amounts in my opinion and the taste of coffee still dominates.

this is good too but don't drink the mud!

MinterMan22
usually only people who've never tried it before drink the mud, by mistake. it's not a mistake you make twice.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
Aeropress and decent single origin beans, freshly ground. Every other option is much more expensive, much more of a pain in the arse or much worse coffee.
Quote by JamSessionFreak

I need to buy me one of those Turkish coffee making thingamadoos.

Also, I'll officially be going to Slovenia last week of June. Any particular spots I should visit? I'll be in Ljubljana for two or three days as well.
This little $4 gadget makes excellent coffee. I use it for making single cups. Boil the water in the microwave, stick a filter and coffee in the funnel, put the funnel over the cup and pour in the water. 

And you don't need the fancy cone-shaped filter. Any regular round coffee filter works fine. 
Quote by ultimate-slash
I need to buy me one of those Turkish coffee making thingamadoos.

Also, I'll officially be going to Slovenia last week of June. Any particular spots I should visit? I'll be in Ljubljana for two or three days as well.

You can buy the cheap ones in most appliance stores here.

Sweet. Stop by Bled but instead of sticking there with all the slackjawed plebs, go to nearby Bohinj and hike to the Savica waterfall. Although it would be ideal if you have a car for this.

Škocjan or Postojna caves. I prefer the former because it also includes a short walk in some beatiful nature. On the flip side, Postojna is like 10 km away from the Predjama castle which is worth seeing feom the outside.

On the coast, I think it's worth visiting Piran or Izola. The former is more picturesque and touristy while the latter is quiet, cheap and authentic. Try some local wines while you're there or even better, visit a wine cellar in the Kras (Karst) region.

Kobarid is a very nice little town in the mountainous parts boardering Italy. In the same area you have various paths and activities centered around the Soča river which is fucking beautiful. The Vršič mountain pass near Bovec consists of probably the most picturesque roads in the country, especially for a low-lander.

Bolnica Franja near Cerkno is a neat field hospital from WWII. It's located in like a ravine of sorta so it's great to look at but it's also historically very interesting - tells you a lot about the partizan resistance and stuff.

On the way there, you can stop in Idrija where I went to highschool. It used to be home to the 2nd largest mercury mine in Europe, which you can now take a guided tour through which is neat, especially combined with the Mining Museum. If you're there, try žlikrofi.

Hiking up or taking the furnicular to Velika Planina is probably a solid idea as well. Huge alpine plateau with traditional wooden cabins and satanic cows. Similarly taking a day to hike somewhere like the Triglav Lake Valley would be ideal but it eats up your entire day even if you know what you're doing.

In the Eastern parts, places like Maribor, Celje, Ptuj and Novo mesto are the more interesting towns but I'm gonna be honest, nothing beats Ljubljana. There's a lot of beautiful nature - hills and forests - in Mariborsko Pohorje above Maribor.

Novo mesto is small but pretty and I'm moving there for the summer this weekend.

In Ljubljana, just stroll around the center and chill. Walking up to the castle is great and I recommend doing it instead of taking the furnicular. The Modernist Gallery and the Museum of Contemporary Slovene History are my favourites. If you don't visit Metelkova you're a goddamn fool. Buy a beer and chill in Tivoli park for an hour or two. Eat čevapčiči with kajmak. Also try the Carniolian sausage.

In general, besides visiting the standard spots like Ljubljana, Piran, Bled and Postojna, I'd recommend doing something like a wine tour or an organized hike. There's also plenty of activities like rafting, kayaking, zip-lining, etc. which are really popular. If you go for the wine, I recommend the Primorska or Bela krajina regions. We're a wine making country but those two regions are the ones that actually know how to do it really well.

Lastly, don't forget to hit me up on facebook. I'll be in Novo mesto but I can drive to Ljubljana in like 45 minutes and I'll be free over the weekends. I probably forgot to mention lots of stuff but this is what I got off the top of my head.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
JamSessionFreak
awesome, thanks

I have a car (or I should say my brother has a car), so that's the Bled stuff sorted.
Also staying near Triglav for a few nights, so Triglav Lake Valley is also check.
Definitely going to take all the wine suggestions. I'm planning on bringing copious amounts back home with me.

I'll hit you up, but it might be that we're in Ljubljana Monday - Wednesday or Tuesday - Thursday. I have to check.

I'm gonna see what other suggestions we can fit into our days. We're also going through to Croatia (first Zagreb, then Pula), and then probably towards Trieste, and we're in a car, so we can always pop back into Slovenia if we want to see some more.
ultimate-slash
Oh right, Logar Valley is neat. Also you can't go wrong with Triglav National Park, which includes Bohinj. It's fucking beautiful and if you find a place there you want to visit it's likely worth it.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
ultimate-slash
Alright, sweet. I can still just chill woth you after work if you want.

For the record, the entire Triglav Lake Valley hike takes a few days but you can easily see a few of the lakes in a single day and head back in the afternoon.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
Quote by ultimate-slash
damn I wanna rub that valley all over me

*insert one of Victory2134's Asian women shaking head here*
a decent grinder and good beans are the most important thing.

all the different brewing options work well with the right grounds in them, but obviously what you get from a French press is a different kind of satisfying to what you get from an espresso machine.

I'd get a decent grinder and then experiment with everything else. Should be able to get a French press and a percolator for <$10 a piece, both are pretty solid.
I've come to love the ninja coffee bar. Makes way better coffee than than the Keurig, is just as easy/fast, and has much more versatility.
My God, it's full of stars!
I use a grinder and just use a Bialetti stove-top. Much cheaper than pods etc and better for the environment.

It's just the sodding beans that cost the do-llar.
It is, what it is.
Quote by gerdner

I'm not a fan of the Keurig. While it's a great idea for one-cuppers on the go and for parties where everyone wants something different, the coffee that comes out doesn't thrill me.

My coffee beans are dark roast and live in the freezer and go into a really good grinder (about $15 at Walmart will get you there). I have a $20 CostCo electric pot that heats water to boiling and then shuts off. After that, I have a Melita glass pot (about 1.5 liters) and paper filter and a little copper hotplate that will keep it warm for half an hour. After that it gets tossed.

I like my coffee like I like my women. Cold and bitter.
I like Keurig and have been a user since the machines first came to the home market in the early 2000's as my mom worked at a hospital that had a Keurig machine when they were very expensive commercial fixtures maintained by a special Keurig crew, and when the first machines came out for around $200, we got one, then I got gifted one when I moved out on my own. I started to not like them so much recently though with that stupid Keurig 2.0 machine designed to force you to use the certified K-Cups - but I have a hack for that - after using up a K-Cup that's certified, cut the outer ring off, and tape it into the machine when you make your next K-cup. I used all the uncertified ones up that way.
My Current Mains
- 1996 Fender Jag-Stang with EMG Pickups
- 1998 Fender Jaguar with Cool Rails
- 1982 Hondo Paul Dean II (DiMarzio Super II X2)
- 2010 "Fender" Jazzmaster (Home built)
- 2013 Squier VM Bass VI (stock)
I use a french press and an old wooden box hand grinder. I only use organic whole beans. It's not the quickest and easiest but makes the best coffee IMO. 
Quote by ultimate-slash
I just have a simple grinder and french press. Good stuff

Me too.  You can find this stuff at a Goodwill for under $10.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
I just drink my coffee straight black. It's supposed to wake you up, not taste good.
Page 1 of 2