15 63%
get a real job
8 33%
get some KY cuz yer fukt
8 33%
Voters: 24.
Page 1 of 3
Sup

I'm getting promoted (go me). I signed the paperwork and submitted it to my boss. She signed it and sent it to HR. This was about 2 months ago (shit goes slow when you work for the state). 

Anywho, I found out today that my boss altered my salary on the contract by about 5k a year before she signed it and sent it to HR. I was not asked or even notified about this. 

This is totes illegal, right?

I've requested to see the original paperwork I signed but nobody seems to know where it is.  
PM me for newts
Sounds suss as fucc
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
holy shit I got severe blode vibes from this
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
That is illegal.

Whether you can prove it however is a different question.

EDIT: Wait so you physically signed a piece of paper, your boss then edited the original document, pasted your signature on that document and pretended that you signed it? That is forgery.
Last edited by Random3 at Jun 1, 2017,
>before she signed it

Lol damn. Do you have any written evidence like an email or something with the amount? I think you might be effed due to parol evidence, but idk, you'd have to ask the ledditors at /r/legaladvice
Last edited by Fat Lard at Jun 1, 2017,
I assume HR will have a copy of the original paperwork?

Don't sue though. Just raise it with HR directly that you're not being paid your usual salary and want to know why.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

Quote by Random3

EDIT: Wait so you physically signed a piece of paper, your boss then edited the original document, pasted your signature on that document and pretended that you signed it? That is forgery.

I haven't seen the document, but this seems to be the case. 
Quote by Fat Lard
>before she signed it

Lol damn. Do you have any written evidence like an email or something with the amount? I think you might be effed due to parol evidence, but idk, you'd have to ask the ledditors at /r/legaladvice

it's a little different for the state. we have classifications and salaries are standardized. She changed the classification I will be, thus gutting my salary. 

The only reason I even know this happened is because I called HR to ask about the status of my promotion.
PM me for newts
Last edited by StewieSwan at Jun 1, 2017,
So the piece of paper they are supposed to receive is, presumably, supposed to be a printed sheet written on a computer that was physically signed by you and her with a pen?

If that's the case, either she has photocopied your signature onto the edited document, or literally copied your signature herself. Both of these are forgery. I have no idea what to suggest to you I'm afraid, but this sucks.
Quote by Random3
So the piece of paper they are supposed to receive is, presumably, supposed to be a printed sheet written on a computer that was physically signed by you and her with a pen?

If that's the case, either she has photocopied your signature onto the edited document, or literally copied your signature herself. Both of these are forgery. I have no idea what to suggest to you I'm afraid, but this sucks.

Yep.

And I physically sign things with red pen, so if I see the "original" and it's in black ink I'll know she forged it.
PM me for newts
Do you have any emails or anything showing that you were expecting a certain paygrade and that's what you agreed to?
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy

Quote by ErikLensherr

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
You know, the government pulls this kind of shit on all of us. It's called taxes.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Did you read the paperwork from top to bottom including the fine print? If this was included in there somewhere then you're fucked. 

If you have a digital copy of this paperwork or some kind of photocopy to compare it with what she sent to HR then you might have some hope. I'd get the KY ready if you don't. Or you know... you can hire a bounty hunter off the dark net...
Quote by zgr0826
Do you have any emails or anything showing that you were expecting a certain paygrade and that's what you agreed to?

I addressed this in OP. HR "can't find it"
PM me for newts
Quote by StewieSwan
I addressed this in OP. HR "can't find it"

You don't even have any casual mentioning of it in emails between you and her?

Quote by ErikLensherr

Quote by Xiaoxi
You know, the government pulls this kind of shit on all of us. It's called taxes.

Quote by ErikLensherr

Quote by zgr0826
You don't even have any casual mentioning of it in emails between you and her?

Nope  
PM me for newts
Quote by StewieSwan
Nope  

Fug.

Quote by ErikLensherr

She really thought you wouldn't notice that your salary has been deducted by 5 thousand dollars? LMAO what a fucking idiot. That's how smart she thinks you are. You should hold her accountable. Does she have a boss? Have you tried going to your boss directly?

When you discussed the promotion you guys talked about the details of the job you thought you were going to get, not the other category job she changed it too, right? If you talk to her directly and she acts like you guys never talked about the first job, then definitely take action. She's got to be held accountable.
Quote by Overlord
It's not hard to be nice, but it's nice to be hard
Quote by zgr0826

exactly. they aren't getting any tax money from me out of my under-the-table inflows. fuck taxes. 
Quote by StewieSwan
Sup

I'm getting promoted (go me). I signed the paperwork and submitted it to my boss. She signed it and sent it to HR. This was about 2 months ago (shit goes slow when you work for the state). 

Anywho, I found out today that my boss altered my salary on the contract by about 5k a year before she signed it and sent it to HR. I was not asked or even notified about this. 

This is totes illegal, right?

I've requested to see the original paperwork I signed but nobody seems to know where it is.  

You didn't get a copy?
Quote by Banjocal
holy shit I got severe blode vibes from this

It is kinda blodey, but stewie is generally more articulate in their insults, so probably not.
Quote by monwobobbo
if you work for the State aren't you union? 

no
PM me for newts
Quote by 33db
You didn't get a copy?

no and I'm kicking myself for it. It wouldn't really matter, though, cuz she could just claim mine is the forgery. I need the original
PM me for newts
Quote by StewieSwan
no and I'm kicking myself for it. It wouldn't really matter, though, cuz she could just claim mine is the forgery. I need the original

you don't have a leg to stand on. always get a copy and have all parties sign. 
Well you definitely messed up not keeping the copy. However I would go straight to her with your phone on record in your pocket (if this is legal in your state). Tell her what happened and see how she reacts. Remember to include the correct amount you were to receive.
1. she denies it being what you say, bluff and say you have a copy and emails (check your trash folders just in case)
2. She acts like there is a mix up then you have proof she swapped it.
3. she confesses, then you tell her you are going to hr because of her forgery, she begs you and says she'll do anything. This is where your real story starts.
Quote by monwobobbo
you don't have a leg to stand on. always get a copy and have all parties sign. 

I sent it to her to sign. I never had posession of it while her signature was on it. 

Edit: For clarity's sake, she works in a different building on the other side of the city.
PM me for newts
Last edited by StewieSwan at Jun 1, 2017,
i'm sure there is some kind of time limit to where a copy of this kind of document is sufficient as evidence, but there's no good reason a two month document shouldnt be available.  

i'm sure a lawyer would be curious to hear thier reason 
Last edited by mattedbird at Jun 1, 2017,
I would simply adress her directly since all of your other options seem not to work.
But keep it casual. LIke, I had sime extra questions about my pay, I thought that the contract that we sighned said this and that but somehow I end up 5 K short and whatnot.
Quote by -Mantra-
Does she have a reputation of being a shifty person?

like the day is long
PM me for newts
Quote by StewieSwan
like the day is long

Kill.

Her.

Quote by ErikLensherr

Quote by StewieSwan
I sent it to her to sign. I never had posession of it while her signature was on it. 

Edit: For clarity's sake, she works in a different building on the other side of the city.

A lesson for the future then. You should always ask for a copy of the signed papers. Even if the supervisors decide to be shady about it, you have a logged conversation that shows it (assuming you're emailing each other, as you should be) or, you have a copy of exactly what you "signed" that you can dispute immediately.

For your case, I'd at least proceed with legal action at this point. They're going to have to produce the copy they hold or not acknowledge your raise in the first place, which would be a cluster fuck all of its own. Ideally, they get scared and give you what you want to brush it under the rug.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more
No evidence = no legal recourse

You can certainly go directly to her and/or HR and ask the question:  "When I signed on for this position I understood that it was level 16 pay scale.  This looks like level 14 pay scale on my check.  Was there an error or misunderstanding somewhere?  Can you explain the differences to me?"

If you don't get a satisfying answer, just take some more CE credits or qualifications to bump you into level 19 pay scale.  Water under the bridge.  Working your way up the ladder in govt is pretty straightforward and beats Stewing in your own juices over this. (pun intended)  
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Look, this should be fairly simple to sort out. 

I'm assuming your pay was directly credited to your bank account. 

If not, I'm sure it was paid through a cheque. 

Just get your bank records and go kick up a fuss a the office. 

It's quite easy to prove that your salary was reduced instead of being increased. 
Strandberg Boden 8-String Ibanez RG2228
Fender HM Strat ESP Horizon-II Five-String Bass
Roland TD-30K Mesa Boogie Mark V:25
EVH5150III 50-Watt Yamaha Motif Rack XS
Access Virus TI Snow Polyend Perc Pro
Page 1 of 3