Hi,

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum - please let me know if it is and i will re-post.

I know the 2015 range brings up a lot of divided opinion, but it is the only used Les Paul around in my budget (recently moved to Dubai and there isn't a lot in the used les paul market).

Basically I've seen a Gibson Les Paul 2015 Ocean Blue, but I can't tell if it is real - I'd appreciate any advice?

Here is a link to the advert, if that doesn't work there is a link to a similar advert. The main issue that I'm concerned with is that the head - the hologram is there, but the gforce tuners aren't? I don't mind if it doesn't have them, I just can't tell if this means that it is a fake.

Thanks very much,
Alan

http://scanmail.trustwave.com/?c=8631&d=kduw2aTmWCAwLCDWB2Jg9OOphV6d67rh_mqBgjy7yw&u=https%3a%2f%2fm%2efacebook%2ecom%2fahmadhfz%2fposts%2fpcb%2e1891862014385398%2f%3fphoto%5fid%3d10154568101343372%26mds%3d%2fphotos%2fviewer%2f%3fphotoset%5ftoken%3dpcb%2e1891862014385398%26photo%3d10154568101343372%26profileid%3d505243265%26source%3d48%26refid%3d46%26ref%3dcontent%5ffilter%26%5f%5fxt%5f%5f%3d12%2e%7b%22unit%5fid%5fclick%5ftype%22%3a%22graph%5fsearch%5fresults%5fitem%5ftapped%22%2c%22click%5ftype%22%3a%22result%22%2c%22module%5fid%22%3a65%2c%22result%5fid%22%3a%22508758371%3a1891862014385398%22%2c%22sid%22%3a%221623751869%22%2c%22module%5frole%22%3a%22FEED%5fGROUP%5fPOSTS%22%2c%22unit%5fid%22%3a%22browse%5frl%3af074a7d4960bc802c9a982b0285c0065%3ac1%22%2c%22browse%5fresult%5ftype%22%3a%22browse%5ftype%5fstory%22%2c%22unit%5fid%5fresult%5fid%22%3a1891862014385398%2c%22module%5fresult%5fposition%22%3a0%2c%22result%5fcreation%5ftime%22%3a1495201329%7d%26cached%5fdata%3dfalse%26ftid%26mdf%3d1

@

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MINTY-2015-Gibson-100th-Commemorative-Limited-Les-Paul-Traditional-Ocean-Blue-/282470902129?hash=item41c493e971:g:GBsAAOSw~AVYpe1-
Looks like a real 2015 traditional to me. The one thing that does bug me though is the SN looks like it ends in a 5 but on the paperwork it ends in a 6. 

FWIW most people hated the G-farce tuners. A lot of these guitars had theirs swapped out for traditional tuners.

Pics:

Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Jun 1, 2017,
Thanks for the response so far - those pictures are from the advert that I used as reference, not the actual guitar. I'll do the imgur thing now.
Can you post, like more pictures of the actual guitar you're buying? Headstock, body, back etc... ?
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Looks fine to me. 

Is there a clearer shot of the SN?
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
A question for you fake spotters. How hard would it be to fake the hologram?

Am I correct in thinking that Gibson were using "ordinary" fret ends by then, not the crenellated binding? That used to be an easy giveaway, as did the angle of the control cavity (top edge not parallel to centre line), but I guess that things have changed since then.
Quote by Tony Done
Am I correct in thinking that Gibson were using "ordinary" fret ends by then, not the crenellated binding? That used to be an easy giveaway, as did the angle of the control cavity (top edge not parallel to centre line), but I guess that things have changed since then.
Yup, the nibs were ditched for the 2014 model year. They touted it as a big step forward (which is sort of true in that it's more practical, but misleading in that nobody else in the world had ever bothered with the silly nibs in the first place and in that the change was an obvious cost-cutting measure) that was greatly more labour-intensive (an outright lie). The usual.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Quote by Tony Done
A question for you fake spotters. How hard would it be to fake the hologram?

I would imagine its not hard.

For me easy giveaways are usually the bridge, logo positioning, trc etc... Those are things that are rarely right when they do fakes. Also serial numbers. This one doesnt raise any flags for me but I couldve missed something.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Might just be the pictures, but the right side horn on the headstock doesn't look quite right.
Quote by guitarkid8
Might just be the pictures, but the right side horn on the headstock doesn't look quite right.

I think it is just buried in the plush of the case.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

alancheeky
As in a certificate of authenticity? Production models don't usually have those as far as I know.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Quote by alancheeky
H4T3BR33D3R

Serial is 150038587

No certificate though - is that a worry?

Thanks,
Alan

Regular models dont come with a COA. They come with a pre pack card that just lists the model and color as well as a checklist that shows what they checked out before it was shipped. Its not important to have and not really the same as the COA for the custom shop guitars.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I think it's OK. It comes with the correct truss rod wrench. I'm very familiar with the Chinese counterfeits and they have a different truss rod (Epiphone style) that adjusts with and Allen wrench tool. Everything else looks good to me. I think it's real. By the way I love that color. I have an Epiphone Tribute in that color and it's as awesome close up as it looks in the pics. Good luck.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Jun 2, 2017,
Seems to be real compared to my 2015 in Ocean Blue.

Love that model and got it for 1k new, because they couldn't get rid of that colour
Quote by alancheeky

the bottom tuners are parallel and the top 4 are chevron. is that just a fish eye trick of the lens or did gibby do that?

i don't see anything that really makes me scream fake though. that just struck me as odd.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
the bottom tuners are parallel and the top 4 are chevron.  is that just a fish eye trick of the lens or did gibby do that?  

i don't see anything that really makes me scream fake though.  that just struck me as odd.

It could be the angle but aren't the robot tuners screwless as well? It could be a shoddy install when the owner converted them since you'd have to drill. Personally I use a straight edge when I install them so it tends to minimize that but maybe this guy freehanded it? 
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by gregs1020
the bottom tuners are parallel and the top 4 are chevron. is that just a fish eye trick of the lens or did gibby do that?
If the tuners were put there in place of the robot ones, then the answer could be neither.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
I think you are right about the tuners being put on and taking that auto-tune mechanism off.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Looks original for me. Hologram exist, case is the original one, but the tuner machine don't exist.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
It could be the angle but aren't the robot tuners screwless as well? It could be a shoddy install when the owner converted them since you'd have to drill. Personally I use a straight edge when I install them so it tends to minimize that but maybe this guy freehanded it? 

makes perfect sense, i hadn't thought of that.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.