Hey folks!

So I just got my first electric guitar ever. A Yamaha Pacifica 112V to be specific. But as soon as I tuned it up after I unboxed it and started playing, I noticed some very annoying buzzing on the lower E and also the A string. Happens all the time during power chords. Sometimes when I pick the notes separetely aswell, although maybe not as noisy buzzing then. I don't know if I can hear the buzzing through the amp aswell. It's very hard to tell. 

I thought the guitar would be set up properly when leaving the factory, but surely something is wrong here. What needs adjusting? Since I'm completely new to guitar I feel really lost here. Seems it could be everything from the truss rod to the actual strings...

Please, help a newbie out!  

Also, a bonus question. Is the amp supposed to do some kind of buzzing sound on its own while not playing the guitar? As soon as I place my fingers on the strings it stops. Just curious  
oskiii Not sounding elitist here but that is a starter guitar and they dont spend an awful lot of time setting them up, even USA strats can need additional attention. It could be anything from unleveled frets to truss rod or the bridge height so for a beginner can be a mine field. I would suggest taking to to tech to do it for you. IF you want to try yourself you can try raising the affected string a little at the bridge.
New guitars are rarely set up properly. 
The answer to the bonus question is yes it is normal
Not taking any online orders.
Take it to a tech get a proper set up and you'll be good the Pacifica 112 is a great entry level guitar.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Quote by m33sta
   oskiii Not sounding elitist here but that is a starter guitar and they dont spend an awful lot of time setting them up, even USA strats can need additional attention. It could be anything from unleveled frets to truss rod or the bridge height so for a beginner can be a mine field. I would suggest taking to to tech to do it for you. IF you want to try yourself you can try raising the affected string a little at the bridge.

Yeah I feel so lost in the guitar world right now haha... How can you even learn to setup everything properly x)
Quote by CorduroyEW
New guitars are rarely set up properly.
The answer to the bonus question is yes it is normal

Well that's comforting to hear. Then maybe my guitar isn't defect or something that I was dead sure on at first... Glad to hear the amp buzz is normal aswell!
Quote by Evilnine
Take it to a tech get a proper set up and you'll  be good the Pacifica 112 is a great entry level guitar.

I guess that's the way to go. Have to look up a good tech then, if there are any around my lil town! Yea seems to be a great starting axe otherwise
Quote by oskiii
Yeah I feel so lost in the guitar world right now haha... How can you even learn to setup everything properly x)

Well that's comforting to hear. Then maybe my guitar isn't defect or something that I was dead sure on at first... Glad to hear the amp buzz is normal aswell!

I guess that's the way to go. Have to look up a good tech then, if there are any around my lil town! Yea seems to be a great starting axe otherwise

Yeah since you are just starting out if you can find a tech to set it up good and proper for you you will be able to start enjoying it, there are plenty of instructional videos on YouTube as well as some really good books that should be available in your local music store or online.

FWIW if you are in a small town it may not be a bad idea to go to the closest larger town if you have trouble finding a tech locally and if it is doable transportation wise as well as financially.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

Quote by Evilnine
Yeah since you are just starting out if you can find a tech to set it up good and proper for you you will be able to start enjoying it, there are plenty of instructional videos on YouTube as well as some really good books that should be available in your local music store or online.

FWIW if you are in a small town it may not be a bad idea to go to the closest larger town if you have trouble finding a tech locally and if it is doable transportation wise as well as financially.

Yeah I really just want to start playing without this damned buzzing. I just can't enjoy playing it 100% as of now haha :/ 

I know there's a quite big music store about 50 minutes away in a little bigger small town hehe. Could maybe ask em if they'd take in a guitar for a set up.
Quote by oskiii
Yeah I really just want to start playing without this damned buzzing. I just can't enjoy playing it 100% as of now haha :/ 

I know there's a quite big music store about 50 minutes away in a little bigger small town hehe. Could maybe ask em if they'd take in a guitar for a set up.

I'm sure they would, contact them and explain your situation and see if you can schedule a time to bring the guitar in and have it worked on while you wait, it shouldn't take terribly long and you could have lunch then maybe just hang out in the music store and check out some gear while you wait, then you can make it in one trip. 

Be aware though, hanging out in the music store and checking out gear will likely cause you to create a G.A.S. list!  
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

Quote by Evilnine
I'm sure they would, contact them and explain your situation and see if you can schedule a time to bring the guitar in and have it worked on while you wait, it shouldn't take terribly long and you could have lunch then maybe just hang out in the music store and check out some gear while you wait, then you can make it in one trip. 

Be aware though, hanging out in the music store and checking out gear will likely cause you to create a G.A.S. list!  

Apparently it would take 1 week to a month for a full setup 😫 How that can be possible i dont know, but they had holiday times now in the store so I guess thats the reason.
Ive got a friend that has played guitar for a few years and hes gonna have a look at it. Otherwise I guess ill just keep searching for techs haha.

And a G.A.S list btw?
Quote by oskiii

I thought the guitar would be set up properly when leaving the factory, but surely something is wrong here. What needs adjusting? Since I'm completely new to guitar I feel really lost here. Seems it could be everything from the truss rod to the actual strings...

There's a lot of distance and time between you and the day that guitar left the factory, and a guitar that might have left the factory with a great setup and in tune simply won't be that way several months later, particularly if you pulled it off a wall at a Guitar Center. I advise anyone who buys a new guitar to include the price of a Really Good Initial Setup in their budget.

In the meantime, buy a book called "How to make your electric guitar play great" by Dan Erlewine. Best $20 accessory you'll ever buy for your guitar. Then...uh... read it. There are a few tools that you'll want to own as well, because maintenance on your guitar will be as important to you as learning scales, etc.
Quote by oskiii
Apparently it would take 1 week to a month for a full setup 😫 How that can be possible i dont know, but they had holiday times now in the store so I guess thats the reason.
Ive got a friend that has played guitar for a few years and hes gonna have a look at it. Otherwise I guess ill just keep searching for techs haha.

And a G.A.S list btw?

G.A.S. Gear Aquisition Syndrome it is a disease that musicians contract that makes them perpetually desire to buy more gear!  

You'll hear us talking about our gas lists or saying that we have been gaasing for this or that.
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Jun 5, 2017,
Quote by dspellman
There's a lot of distance and time between you and the day that guitar left the factory, and a guitar that might have left the factory with a great setup and in tune simply won't be that way several months later, particularly if you pulled it off a wall at a Guitar Center. I advise anyone who buys a new guitar to include the price of a Really Good Initial Setup in their budget.

In the meantime, buy a book called "How to make your electric guitar play great" by Dan Erlewine. Best $20 accessory you'll ever buy for your guitar. Then...uh... read it. There are a few tools that you'll want to own as well, because maintenance on your guitar will be as important to you as learning scales, etc.

It was ordered from another country. But yeah, I guess it has changed for sure since the day it left the factory. I'll get a set up for sure! Damn the guitar world seems way more complex than I thought :'D
Quote by Evilnine
G.A.S. Gear Aquisition Syndrome it is a disease that musicians contract that makes them perpetually desire to buy more gear!

You'll hear us talking about our gas lists or saying that we have been gaasing dor this or that!

Hahah alright! I guess I'll make a G.A.S list in the future Never developed the syndrome over my years as a drummer, but maybe the guitar will change that