I've been playing the electric since September 2015. I'm a girl and still in high school, so I'm not practicing as much as I should be due to education. I'm probably a bit slower at learning since I'm not a guy, and I'm sorry if this question seems ridiculous. But when I'm playing solos, I start to go fast and i pick neighboring strings, and it's very annoying. I practice slow then go fast, and that always happens. Does anybody know any techniques to quickly mute the strings I'm playing? And also, what amp would you recommend for heavy metal or metal core such as Parkway Drive, All That Remains, etc?
Gender has nothing to do with ability. It's nothing but practice to improve. You've not even been playing 2 years, you're still new to the instrument so don't be too hard on yourself. The key to playing fast is being relaxed and accurate, and those generally come with time.

Peavey 6505+ 112 combo, no other answer. It's a fantastic amp for the price and I don't know much about ATRs gear but I know for a fact Parkway Drive play through a 6505+ and i'm pretty sure they've recorded every album with that amp exclusively, but Ire and Atlas I think they also used a EVH 5150 and a Kemper Profiler. This is considerably more expensive though. They use Mesa cabinets which are also expensive. 
What I'm getting at is the Peavey 6505+ will give you everything you need for that type of music, but if you have absolutely no budget then there's your other options.
Last edited by vayne92 at Jun 2, 2017,
You're picking with movements that are too big. They way you currently pick may well feel natural but that doesn't mean it's the best way - it rarely is. You need to  invest time picking with smaller movements. This probably means slowing things down too so that you can get control of things.

You might find this helpful too: http://www.stuartbahn.com/nothing-natural-about-playing-guitar/
Not sure if, by "start to go fast" , you mean you're speeding up against the tune?  If so, that's a very common issue, usually from a combination of excitement, nerves, tension.  The latter two also mean that your hands physically don't react as naturally as they can, resulting in tighter, more clumsy motion (usually small  moves), but enough to cause big problems).

The solution:  practice and awareness of what your body is doing.  Holding your breath.  Clenching your jaw, let alone what your neck, shoulders, arms and hands are feeling.  

If you can afford it, and have a PC/laptop, I suggest you get yourself software, such as "Transcribe" by seventhstring.com which lets you slow tunes down and loop sections.  That way you can play solos at a friendlier pace as you get used to the mechanical motions, and gradually speed up.  The idea is this approach allows you too remove the mental "blockage" that crops up when preparing to something "difficult".  YOu 100% have to be relaxed.

If you want to play metal etc, all of which use a load of distortion, then you absolutely need to control string noise, which means learning how to mute every string other than the one(s) you want to hear.  If you don't learn this technique, you're not going to enjoy the end result at high amplification.  The muting is also vital for controlling feedback.

Can you play legato at all?  If so, try loosely tying a strip of cloth around the guitar neck near the nut, and play legato lines, and listen how much better they sound as all the extraneous noise is blocked by the cloth.  The aim is reproducing that without the cloth.

Picking-wise, you need to minimise the pick motion so it doesn't move too far either side of the string of the moment.

Don't get disheartened.  In fact, be happy that you are critical and are noticing a problem.  A lot of "guitarists" don't.  The good news is you haven't been playing long enough for bad habits to become totally ingrained, and a few weeks of concentrated practice will put you right.  If you have a friends that are good guitarists, ask their help also to show the motions needed.

Good luck
Last edited by jerrykramskoy at Jun 3, 2017,
First off, I feel like doing a bit of shin-kicking for even suggesting that gender might have something to do with this kind of ability.

There has been plenty of comment on practice routines, but I would just like to emphasise the importance of learning good muting/string damping techniques. I've been playing acoustics for over 50 years, and electrics for about 20, but I am not even a passable electric guitarist, IMO, because I failed to appreciate the importance of these techniques until quite recently, when it came as an a instant insight while listening to Ry Cooder.