Hi, I have a 2011 Gibson SG Standard with a crack in the headstock.  I want to fix that crack and sell my guitar.  In an ideal world, I could fix it for $200, and sell it for $1000 -- I understand this is unlikely, but how unlikely? Really, the questions I have are:

1. How much will the repair cost?  Is there any amount I could pay to make the guitar an easier sale, or reassure someone about buying a previously-cracked guitar, or is it pretty much cursed?

2. How much will I be able to sell it for, once repaired?  What would the range look like there, if I was willing to wait for the right buyer versus move it quickly?  

3. This is a little more specific, but is it likely a guitar store (an independent used and vintage store) would take said Gibson (2011, standard, with repaired crack) as a trade for an $800 guitar?

Sorry if those are kind of open ended, but I'm trying to understand what I have here. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
1. Totally depends on the nature of the crack and the nature of the finish repair depends on the colour of the finish of the guitar itself. Only way to accurately know is to deal with the person actually doing the repair.

2. Gibsons with repaired headstocks plummet like a rock in value no matter how well they're repaired. Think in terms of supply and demand. Absolutely nobody wants a guitar that's had a headstock break, and there's way too many other Gibson SG's on the used market that don't have broken headstocks, so why should a buyer take an unnecessary risk with one that's been repaired? $1000 is a stupid price. That's not far off how much those guitars sell brand new. I see some SG's sell for $400 that, while a little beat up, still don't have broken headstocks. An asking price of $350 would be more realistic.

3. No. Your guitar is not worth $800. Trading the guitar in at a store is literally the worst way you can offload a guitar. Guitar stores offer such a service to make money off you. By giving you a stupidly low value on your guitar, add 10% to the value of it when they have it in their inventory (which is still a really, really low price, so they can sell the guitar quickly) and keep that 10% as profit when it sells.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
agree that you have unrealistic expectations. if the crack is repaired by a professional then it will hep the value but as pointed out it's still a flaw which detracts from the value. $1000 even with no crack is on the high end of the used market and may be a tough sell (forget it with crack. as for trade in you guitar will only gt about half of it's retail value maybe a little higher. stores have to make money so they rarely trade even up unless you have an item that they know is a sure sell immediately (also depends on what you want they may work a better deal for something that has been sitting around for a while)
Pictures of the damage would help; if the crack doesn't go through the face veneer, it might not even be a big deal. We can't tell you much about the possible repair cost or what the aftermarket might be without an idea of what it actually is. There's a huge range of possibilities. 

Assuming the crack is not just cosmetic, but is otherwise not disastrous, I think 350 is low, but in general agree with the above. You're absolutely not getting 1000 for it repaired, or 800 in credit. I think 500 repaired and 250 in credit are reasonable expectations. 
hey thanks for this i appreciate it!  i'm trying to buy an $800 mij jaguar that popped up in a local shop. what would you say the range is then for the SG, after repair, is then?  like, $400- what? could I get $600?

I have some other gear I would sell too, but that I don't necessarily want to if I have to. I'll assume that credit is a bad option here though, which fortunately I might be able to work around, if I could sell the other gear within a month or two. Right now, I am mainly trying to figure out what I could get for the SG though
Quote by johnnyjewel
hey thanks for this i appreciate it!  i'm trying to buy an $800 mij jaguar that popped up in a local shop. what would you say the range is then for the SG, after repair, is then?  like, $400- what? could I get $600?

I have some other gear I would sell too, but that I don't necessarily want to if I have to. I'll assume that credit is a bad option here though, which fortunately I might be able to work around, if I could sell the other gear within a month or two. Right now, I am mainly trying to figure out what I could get for the SG though

The Jag could be long gone way before you sell off enough stuff to pay for it.  So just keep that in mind.